Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bleu de Chanel - does this look authentic?

So I stumbled upon this site in my country (India)
    http://unboxed.in

IMG-20140401-WA0002.jpgIMG-20140401-WA0003.jpgIMG-20140401-WA0004.jpgIMG-20140401-WA0005.jpgIMG-20140401-WA0006.jpgIMG-20140401-WA0007.jpg

Points to note:
    1) The seller's selling at almost half the prices that you get in Chanel boutiques ($1 ~ Rs. 50 exchange rate) and he's selling 100 ml BdC for Rs. 3250 ($65) [In Chanel boutiques you'd get 100ml BdC for around $125)
    2) He said he's a collector turned retailer and does this as a hobby, and hence has got only 100 ml and higher bottles (doesn't collect smaller ones)
    3) He said the batch code for Chanels is on the back - this bottle of BdC has batch code: 3716 (checkcosmetic.net says it is Jan'11 made)

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel - does this look authentic?

From the pics, the bottle looks fine to me. Ask the seller if the cap is magnetic.

looks fake. Chanel sign and cap should be even with the bottle, horizontally.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks fine to me. The fact that the logo isn't even with the bottle horizontally doesn't mean it is fake. I bought a bottle of Bleu de Chanel directly at Chanel and the logo on my bottle was also a bit off.

Post Thanks / Like

The logo on my bottle is not perfectly aligned but not as far off as the one shown. I looked at a few testers at the mall and they were not perfectly aligned either. So who knows if this is an indicator of fake or real. I did notice the date code on my bottle is on the back near the sprayer (50ml).
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both a 3.4 oz and a 1.7 oz and you can grab the cap and pick up the bottle. The Chanel logo also lines up the same way every time and it's very straight. I'm also pretty sure that all bottles of Bleu De Chanel have a 4 digit serial number laser etched into the back of the bottle (top, center). On both of my bottles everything is etched into the bottle. If it has a sticker on the bottom it's 100% fake. From those pictures it looks real. The only thing that's different on mine is the way the cap sits and the serial number is etched on the bottom (mine also says tester at the top with the serial # underneath it)
    Last edited by silentrich; 1st April 2014 at 12:46 AM.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Post Thanks / Like

It should definitely have a magnetic cap and it should line up fairly straight.(mine is just ever so slightly off)

From the pics, it looks fine to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

My cap always aligns itself straight.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense

Post Thanks / Like

Looks fine, but it's a good idea to ask about the magnetic cap. My philosophy is that if you are in doubt and it is dramatically cheaper (especially coming from overseas), then it's probably too good to be true. I'd personally rather pay a little more through Fragrancenet, Beauty Encounter or full retail to ensure I'm getting a genuine fragrance. I don't think it's worth the hassle to take the risk.

Dude, what? That site is bonkers. No way he's selling la nuit for rs.2500! If you ask me, save up some more and buy an unopened bottle from a trusted boutique/retailer (even flipkart or a reliable seller from snapdeal, maybe). I have heard of these 'unboxed' sellers listed on a few Indian sites who sell 'junked' bottles that are sourced from Dubai (sounds weird, anyone has heard of this too?). Usually such bottles are without original boxes and are damaged, leaking, scratched and what not. Not worth the headache that follows (reverse shipping, arguments, refunds etc) if you get a fake or leaking bottle.

As for the bottle itself, it looks OK except for the non-aligning logo on the cap. Your call, bro.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As it is, we have so many fakes here in India. It's hard to find reliable discount sources here. I would rather go to the chanel boutique and buy from there than to risk buying a questionable scent and live in doubt. For the retail price you pay, you will be guaranteed a peace of mind an a good scent.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys thanks a ton for taking out time to reply.
    This thread caught my attention (esp post #16)
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/373...Bleu-De-Chanel

And this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68N...ature=youtu.be

Any ideas?
    Last edited by brainstorm87; 1st April 2014 at 06:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brainstorm87 View Post
    Guys thanks a ton for taking out time to reply.
    This thread caught my attention (esp post #16)
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/373...Bleu-De-Chanel

And this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k68N...ature=youtu.be

Any ideas?
    There are a lot of fakes out there. And the magnetized caps are a DEFINITE big difference between real and fake. I have a fake bottle (bought it intentionally for comparison from a buddy) and the non-magnetic cap is the biggest tip-off. The magnetic cap will automatically spin to line up CC from left to right. It's impossible to make it deviate more than maybe 5-10 degrees from lined up.

I would be very hesitant to buy this. I also don't think asking about the cap is going to help - if he's selling fakes, what's one more lie? He'll just lie about the cap and backtrack if you complain after you get the bottle. Not worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseChang View Post
    looks fake. Chanel sign and cap should be even with the bottle, horizontally.
    This is the probably the most important think. Not the magnetic cap per se. There are fakes with magnetic cap. But legit Bleu de Chanel is like a little of "magic cap": no matter which position you put it on, it will quickly self-rotate to a horizontal position, so the Logo CC will be always horizontal.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    There are a lot of fakes out there. And the magnetized caps are a DEFINITE big difference between real and fake. I have a fake bottle (bought it intentionally for comparison from a buddy) and the non-magnetic cap is the biggest tip-off. The magnetic cap will automatically spin to line up CC from left to right. It's impossible to make it deviate more than maybe 5-10 degrees from lined up.

I would be very hesitant to buy this. I also don't think asking about the cap is going to help - if he's selling fakes, what's one more lie? He'll just lie about the cap and backtrack if you complain after you get the bottle. Not worth the hassle.
    Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    This is the probably the most important think. Not the magnetic cap per se. There are fakes with magnetic cap. But legit Bleu de Chanel is like a little of "magic cap": no matter which position you put it on, it will quickly self-rotate to a horizontal position, so the Logo CC will be always horizontal.
    That definitely caught my attention too.

One more thing was that the seller doesn't accept 'Cash on Delivery' (CoD has become a recent phenomenon in India and it is surely one way of telling an authentic goods seller from a fake one since the seller who gives you CoD option is guaranteeing you peace of mind - you could always send back the product upon arrival or say you didn't order it if anything looks even remotely suspicious).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brainstorm87 View Post
    That definitely caught my attention too.

One more thing was that the seller doesn't accept 'Cash on Delivery' (CoD has become a recent phenomenon in India and it is surely one way of telling an authentic goods seller from a fake one since the seller who gives you CoD option is guaranteeing you peace of mind - you could always send back the product upon arrival or say you didn't order it if anything looks even remotely suspicious).
    CoD is something they used to have in America, but it seems to have died off sometime in the '60's or '70's. Businesses started saying "No CoDs" in TV ads, and it just faded away. I hope that you folks in India hang onto that option!

Why would a "collector" avoid 50 ml bottles? If I can only get a 5 ml decant of something rare that I want I'll take it !

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Why would a "collector" avoid 50 ml bottles? If I can only get a 5 ml decant of something rare that I want I'll take it !
    Absolutely! And you know why this caught my attention?
    Because I'd read somewhere that smaller sized bottles are harder to fake. And 100 ml (3.4oz) is the most faked size.
    And it makes sense. Because it sells the most.

If you aren't 100% sure... just say no.

If you aren't sure now, you won't be sure when it arrives. And if you have any doubts at all, it will just ruin the experience every time you wear it - even if it really is legit.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Brückner - Aoud 1
    4. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    5. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    6. Dior - Vetiver
    7. Les Nez - Turtle Vetiver Back
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Amouage - Jubilation XXV
    10. Creed - Royal English Leather

Was thinking the same thing about the magnetic cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    From the pics, the bottle looks fine to me. Ask the seller if the cap is magnetic.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.. Stick with an EBay Power Seller which you should still come out paying quite a bit less than retail. Not worth the risk.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Last edited by silentrich; 2nd April 2014 at 02:12 PM.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for taking out time to reply.
    You are right - it's not worth it to save some money and always be doubtful about the authenticity of the product.
    So not bothering with this one.