Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Could you BNers ever limit your collection to your 5 fave colognes?

As of right now I can't even think of my top 5 let alone keep only five
    thats all I have to say.
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Definitely! It wouldn't be too hard, since my collection is small, but I'd just include everything that never fails to sustain beauty.
    Mitsouko (Guerlain)
    Tribute Attar (Amouage)
    Feminite du Bois (Shiseido)
    Eau de Cologne (Chanel)
    And an oriental that I deem appropriate...I haven't found my favorite yet! The search continues...
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Currently:

Le No. 3/Caron
    Yatagan/Caron
    Pour Un Homme de Caron
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Lalique pour Homme (the one with the Lion)

(I can even get it down to ONE if I had to: Le No. 3/Caron.)
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 7th January 2010 at 07:03 AM.

Guerlain Vetiver
    Eau Sauvage
    Rive Gauche pour homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Burberry London

Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    CDG – Artek/Standard
    Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Rose 31

Kouros
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Rive Gauche PH
    Live Jazz
    Body Kouros

Armani EpH
    Caron Third
    YSL Rive Gauche PH
    YSL Jazz
    Puig Quorum

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    Yes, I could but it is such a big faff selling the others.

Even though I've just bought a load of new stuff, I could live with;

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
    Czech & Speake #88
    YSL Kouros
    Diptyque Tam Dao

That's only four but I can't think of any others that I would want to keep.
    Done it!

Down to three;

Blenheim Bouquet
    Kouros
    Tam Dao

The rest are in a shoe box ready for selling.

OP, you're not alone, I asked a very similar question here - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/237...to-buys-short?

At first i thought top ten, then it became 10-15, now it's 15-20... I do really think anyone can have a pretty well rounded collection with about 15-20, and the 20-30 range starts to become a collection with rarely used ones. Right now I'm planning on capping the collection out at about 20 with another 30 or so 10-15ml decants of various other things and that's as much as I really think I'll ever want or need.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Smile Re: Could you BNers ever limit your collection to your 5 fave colognes?

No problem,

1 Bois du Portugal
    2 Encre Noire
    3 Prada Infusion l'homme
    4 Terre d'Hermes EDP
    5 Habit Rouge

Quite easily yes , I wont name names but yes I could . It would however be pointless , as you know that there is another great smell just around the corner waiting to be discovered

I have 30 full bottles, but if pressed...and if poorer and desperate...

I'd keep: Creed SMW, Creed GIT, Terre d'Hermes, Dior Homme, Acqua di Parma Assoluta (I really need one more oriental in this group.

On second thought, scratch the Parma and put D&G PH in there.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 12th January 2010 at 02:27 PM. Reason: edit

Today I would keep the ff.

Creed MI
    D&G The one
    Encre Noire
    Opium PH
    Bvlgari Aqua

Pretty rounded up wardrobe, this should do the trick
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Of course I could.
    But I don't want to and you can't make me.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Yes, haha. There are those special ones which do put an embedded image in your mind. For me considering these are the ones I've tried, they are;

[In Order]

1. Azzaro Azzaro PH
    2. YSL Kouros
    3. YSL Rive Gauche PH.
    4. Chanel Antaeus
    5. Chanel No.19

These frags are sublime! though to be completely honest, I am willing to find more favorites!

Cheers and take Care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I'd limit my winter collection to 5, and then my summer collection to 5 and then my morning fragrances to 5 etc

I'm sure you get the picture

Also Dimitri, what's wrong with you that you are considering limiting your collection? Did someone knock you on the head?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Impossible, but I'll give it a shot anyway:

Black Aoud
    L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Kenzo Tokyo
    A*Men Pure Malt
    Havana

Bearing in mind this list could change tomorrow.
    Last edited by Chasing the Dragon; 12th January 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Caron pour un Homme
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Dior Eau Sauvage

Just kidding! It doesn't all have to be "classics". Although I would call them timeless... but anyway. It's always been my belief that if I could only choose 2 fragrances for the rest of my life they would be:

Habit Rouge & Vetiver (both by Guerlain).

I believe that between those two (purely male fragrances) you have the entire range of everything else you could want as a man. Vetiver for the everyday, relaxed and casual... and Habit Rouge for the other formal and special occasions. Which is all you ever need in life to be honest.

For me if it came down to five.

Memoir Man
    Aventus
    L'humaniste
    Dior Homme Intense
    Bois d'Argent

With Tuscan Leather so close behind.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Ummmmmmmmmm 5 huh,tall order but here it is: L'INSTANT...L'INSTANT EXTREME....CREED ROYAL OUD....M7.....ALTAMIR....

Short answer is absolutely not. No. Hell No.

But... I will play the game.

1. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    2. Dior Homme
    3. Platinum Egoiste
    4. HeWood Rocky Mountain Wood
    5. Penhaligon's Sartorial (just out of necessity to have a complex fragrance that changes in stages)

Those choices are with a gun to my head scenario and all money back on my other fragrances.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I could live with:

Kiton Men
    Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee
    Midnight in Paris EDP
    Polo Modern Reserve
    Gucci Pour Homme 2003

All season greatness!

Rif. my signature
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Creed Cuir de Russie
    Creed Royal English Leather
    Dunhill Blend 30
    plus a rose and vetiver fragrance.

I would have a very hard time since my top ten is constantly changing but I would have to base it off of occasion.
    My suit and tie scent would have to be Spice and Wood, my daily scent would be Aventus, my nighttime scent would be Bois d'argent, L'humaniste would be my warm weather scent and Musc Ravageur for my between the sheets type of fragrance.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Love them old threads

The answer is simply - NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    No, impossible.
    This is how I feel...

Well, the top 3 would be fairly easy. But the next two hmmm

Diaghilev by Roja Dove
    Incense Rose by Tauer
    Original Santal by Creed

The next two would probably be
    Modoc by Xerjoff
    Azure Lime by Tom Ford

Of course I "could"...but why would I ever?!

Basenotes Member

Maybe? My collection is actually growing smaller as I get rid of some scents I know I will never wear. I see no reason to keep a bottle of, let's say, YSL L'Homme Libre, when right next to it is Bergamote 22 or Terre D'Hermes. I almost feel sorry for the YSL trying to compete. So, if I edited it done to 5, today that 5 would be:

Terre D'Hermes EDP
    Platinum Egoiste
    Bergamote 22
    Tobacco Vanille
    Dior Homme

Yeah, I could survive with those. Survive, but not thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Rif. my signature
    What does Rif stand for?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bossa Nova View Post
    Currently:

Le No. 3/Caron
    Yatagan/Caron
    Pour Un Homme de Caron
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Lalique pour Homme (the one with the Lion)
    (I can even get it down to ONE if I had to: Le No. 3/Caron.)
    Le No 3/Caron,its really that good huh????

No. I can't even limit it to 30.

I have a very small collection, so this is probably not as hard for me.

Gucci Pour Homme II
    Encre Noire
    La Nuit De L'Homme
    Terre D'Hermes
    Pure Malt

Could I? Absolutely. It's a matter of priorities.

Before I give you my list, I'm going to tell you a story. Seven years ago, I lived with a cat. I'd say that I had a cat, but as any cat owner can explain, one does not "own" a cat. At best, you form a partnership. And this particular cat was a best friend for me. Sadly, my cat had a very sudden medical emergency. I took him to the vet within three hours of the first sign that something wasn't right, but by then it was already too late. Cats are such proud creatures. They don't let you know when they're not well until they absolutely have to. Long story short, he made it through surgery, but he passed away a few days later. It was tragic in every way, and it instantly wiped out my savings. Thousands, gone. But we'd been together for over a decade. I remember the moment the vet came to speak to me after the initial examination. He knew the outlook wasn't good, and he asked me what I wanted to do. WHAT?! My best friend was in pain. Do anything that might make it better. Do whatever it takes.

Even though, in the end, he didn't survive, I'd do it again without hesitation. I suspect that anyone who has ever truly loved a pet understands.

A significant amount of the expense ended up on credit cards, and I need not explain how awful that is. Interest piles up fast, so... I wanted to pay it off as quickly as possible.

I cut back my spending in a drastic way. I got rid of cable. I got rid of my cell phone. I quit going out to eat all the time. I made serious cutbacks, and I put every penny into paying off the debt. And the debt was paid off, which is why I'm back to a zero-balance on my credit cards.

I love fragrances, but I'm wise enough to understand that they're a luxury. If tragedy struck and I had to not only stop spending, but also sell off my collection, only keeping five (as is the original question for this thread), these would be my five:

- Interlude Man
    - Royal Oud
    - Millesime Imperial
    - Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    - Donna Karan, Fuel

That being said, the above list isn't fair, because I kept mostly the expensive stuff. If I had to get rid of everything and keep only cheapies but goodies, I could be quite happy with):

- Hanae Mori HM EdT
    - Al Rehab, Silver
    - Al Rehab, Choco Musk
    - Curve
    - Bvlgari Black

...and those five can be bought for less than $75 total.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 15th May 2014 at 08:11 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

My collection isn't that big currently, around 25. A few years back it was over 50 and then I sold off a lot of bottles (mostly blind buys gone wrong!)

I would say I could be pretty happy with these five:

Aventus
    Acqua Di Gio Essenza
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Tom Ford Extreme

I mean if someone who wasn't a fragrance fanatic just had GIT and Aventus (or two different fragrances that are versatile) they would be pretty well set IMO.

Yeah. I could live with just Gucci PH II, LIDGE and Encre Noire for rest of my days.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I agree that it would be difficult, especially since my favorites change periodically. At the moment, if probably stick with:

Green Irish Tweed
    Opus VI
    Memoir Man
    Invasion Barbare
    Vetiver Extraordinaire

guerlain vetiver
    kenzo pour homme
    cdg man2
    ysl rive gauche
    tom ford for men

As I only have 18 bottles as of now, its easier for me. As of Today it would be like this:

1. Green Irish Tweed
    2. Allure Homme Sport
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Dior Homme Sport (2008)
    5. Millesime Imperial

* Aventus
    * Chergui
    * New Haarlem
    * Norne
    * Noir de Noir

EASY.

Five a week maybe….

Basenotes Plus

I could but it would be different if I answered in a weeks time, which would be different to the answer I would give in a months time however, in the interest of having a go, today my five would be

Chergui
    Encre Noire
    Dirty English
    Eau des Baux
    And one from Interlude/Memoir Man

VPH
    Fierce
    BdC
    La Nuit
    DHI
    *play intense, somehow

I wouldn't do it unless I was forced to - whether it's financial constraints, lifestyle changes, or being robbed at gunpoint.

But if I were narrowing it down, here's my five:
    • Straight to Heaven
    • L'Humaniste
    • M7 (vintage or new - doesn't matter)
    • Terre d'Hermes (parfum)
    • MI
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

this is a very different question than "what are your top 5 colognes".

if someone came in my house and said "you have to live with just 5 of your fragrances for the rest of your life", i'd save:

1 - CREED Windsor
    2 - MFK Oud
    3 - Tom Ford Oud Wood
    4 - AdP Colonia
    5 - MDCI Invasion Barbare

Basenotes Plus

Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Pour Monsieur
    Fahrenheit
    Kouros
    MI
    Would be different tomorrow though ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Could I? Absolutely. It's a matter of priorities.
    .... I'd do it again without hesitation. I suspect that anyone who has ever truly loved a pet understands.
    Me too. I would absolutely do it again. You're a great man.

So yes, if I had to, I will go down to 5 or 3 or whatever.