Code of Conduct

Thread: Organza??????.

Blog Entries

Question Organza??????.

I am looking for opinions on Organza by Givenchy. The notes sound great, what is the reality in your opinion?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 6th January 2010 at 03:09 AM.

Default Re: Organza??????.

I have a sample and tried it recently... It's just lovely and I really think you should try it...

I originally bought Organza and Organza Indecence when they first came out in the '90's. Organza is a lovely floral vanilla Floriental, and OI is a spicy, woody vanilla Oriental. Of the two, I eventually came to prefer OI, but both are extremely wearable, and probably the best frags Givenchy has released in recent memory (not including re-releases of GIII and other classics). Of the two, I'd say that OI is more wearable by a man.
    Last edited by Asha; 6th January 2010 at 08:26 AM.

I used to spray it and think, oh that is lovely. Then one day out with a friend shopping I actually sprayed some on my wrist. Before I always had other fragrance on. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! No idea what happened between the spray and it hitting my skin but it was not pleasant at all. How something so lovely could change into something very nasty I still don't get. Even my friend said, "That smells bloody awful on you!" LOL The modern Givenchys just don't work on my skin. I did wear Givenchy III as a teenager and it was glorious.
    DONNA

'Vintage' Organza is stunning N_Tesla.
    I came across 2 bottles in a vintage clothing store in Copenhagen, sniffed them, and regretted walking away from them ever since

Dimitri, I have a newer bottle of Organza, and it smells the same to me as my original bottle (which turned, BTW--perhaps Donna's tester did the same). The body cream was fantastic, also.
    Last edited by Asha; 6th January 2010 at 08:28 AM.

Wore it yesterday. Beautiful oriental with vanilla and cinnamon, though not gourmand in contemporary sense, but elegant and mysterious. The precondition for successful wearing is a real winter, with snow preferably. I agree that it's the best Givenchy available today.

Basenotes Institution

After I went through a big bottle, a kind BNer sent me a mini -- all about three years ago. The mini was just sitting without being used. It is a very sweet woody floral on a dark spicy vanilla base, would last through a laundry on the clothes and a key word in applying it, is miniscule amounts.

My mini has since found a new home -- in Australia, no desire to repurchase/retest/rewear.

Blog Entries

I've heard (here) that it's been reformulated. The older boxes are the ones you want.

Well, let's be careful...I think Organza Indecence was reformulated when it was repackaged and rereleased for the Mythiques line. The Original Organza still comes in a curvy bottle and a gold box, same as it did before. I have not tried the new Organza Indecence, but Organza new and old seem the same to me. Organza Indecence is woody and spicy vanilla. Organza is floral vanilla.
    Last edited by Asha; 6th January 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Ok, good info! I don't know this one. Are there any pictures you can post?

This is Organza (the original bottle is still in production).

This is the original bottle of Organza Indecence (I think it was the first flanker to Organza).

This is the new bottle for Organza Indecence.

It's BIG and gorgeous, floral and vanillic, very golden smelling to my nose. Ubu sent me a decant and I really like it, even though it's not my usual casual style. Once, I was in a department store browsing around the fragrance department, and a perfume lady was there walking around with a tester, and when she asked me if I like to try some Organza I said, "Oh, not today. I know it, thanks anyway", at which point she spritzed some right at me and walked on. That really annoyed me, as I was there to sniff other things and didn't want to be overwhelmed by Organza. But then I got the loveliest impression of it and thought to myself, "that really is nice,", as I still wondered why on earth she would do that when I'd said no thanks. Jessica Simpson's Fancy had recently been released, and I thought the Organza was way better than that one.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    It's BIG and gorgeous, floral and vanillic, very golden smelling to my nose. Ubu sent me a decant and I really like it, even though it's not my usual casual style. Once, I was in a department store browsing around the fragrance department, and a perfume lady was there walking around with a tester, and when she asked me if I like to try some Organza I said, "Oh, not today. I know it, thanks anyway", at which point she spritzed some right at me and walked on. That really annoyed me, as I was there to sniff other things and didn't want to be overwhelmed by Organza. But then I got the loveliest impression of it and thought to myself, "that really is nice,", as I still wondered why on earth she would do that when I'd said no thanks. Jessica Simpson's Fancy had recently been released, and I thought the Organza was way better than that one.
    What a good nature you must have, lilybelle! This would have made me downright angry! I once fended off the perfume lady by grabbing and holding her wrist when she ignored my polite "no thank you." We were both shocked! It was very odd - I felt like I was disciplining a child, but she had to be stopped before it was to late.

Back on topic, I really like Organza, too, and I'm sort of surprised it's not in my wardrobe. I guess I just never got around to buying it, but it's always been in the back of my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    What a good nature you must have, lilybelle! This would have made me downright angry! I once fended off the perfume lady by grabbing and holding her wrist when she ignored my polite "no thank you." We were both shocked! It was very odd - I felt like I was disciplining a child, but she had to be stopped before it was to late.
    My nature is not that good, I think I was just taken by surprise. Next time I'll try your tactic, take the offense and grab her arm.

Blog Entries

Is Indecense discontinued? I can't seem to find any on-line sellers that have stock. Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post

IMHO, these have to be the fugliest bottles to grace the shelves of a perfume shop. They look like anorexic versions of the Jetson's robot maid Rosie!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th January 2010 at 04:11 PM.

I personally am ambivalent about Organza. To me it has a sharp chemical opening, like detergent, and a nicer, but fairly common white flower body. There are some lovely unique floral notes that occasionally waft out of the dry-down, but it's still very synthetic smelling to me, and I'm not sure this would be suitable for most men.

Blog Entries

Ruggles; (LOL) Jetson's? Your too much. I think the design of the cap was supposed to infer ancient Egypt with the cobra and the offsetting scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    IMHO, these have to be the fugliest bottles to grace the shelves of a perfume shop. They look like anorexic versions of the Jetson's robot maid Rosie!

I always thought that the flowing curved bottle was supposed to represent the fabric material organza, like what party dresses used to be made from. I always envisioned a sort of sweeping, off-the shoulder number by Yves St. Laurent.

Back to the topic, I agree that the flanker Organza Indecence works much better on a guy than the original. Will that be all Mr. Jetson?

I wore the original and found it a bit 'formal' for everyday wear. I also had a bottle of the Organza 2005 Harvest Jasmine Milliseme - which featured a more dominant jasmine note. Apparently the jasmine harvest was particularly exceptional that year. (I may still have a small decant...goes off to rumage...)

I've been wondering if Organza's been reformulated. I never owned it before, but I had tested it from time to time in the stores, years ago. Last fall I bought a bottle from Costco. When I sprayed it on, it smelled different to me. My bottle seems to have more of a sharp floral note and less depth, with a kind of shrill quality. I remember Organza being smoother, and lower in tone.

Compared to the picture posted by Asha, the bottle looks pretty much the same, except the color of the juice in my bottle is more orange-y, although that could just be the lighting on the photo. However, the box it came in is slightly different from the picture.

oh, you been to Copenhagen? Wow, I've just seen pictures online of it. Why do you have that scary spider on your avatar?
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

I've tried Organza in a dept store, not long ago. I like the funky bottle and the name. Found the fragrance just to vanillic. When fragrances cross a certain vanilla concentration line the vanilla takes over for me, and the fragrance loses all subtlety. Unfortunately, his was the case with Organza for me.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I wore it today... I don't find it interesting...
    It is quality perfume, but not my style...
    Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it. ~Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Is Indecense discontinued? I can't seem to find any on-line sellers that have stock. Recommendations?
    I recently bought it at Dillards.com. It's the reformulated vers, but really lovely!
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    A matter of perspective I suppose. I actually find these 2 bottles lovely...
    But I never got round to sampling Organza somehow...

it is a lovely celebrated perfume, i love it
    now is the perfect time of the year to to spray it generously.
    Last edited by tariq; 7th January 2010 at 08:11 PM.

Blog Entries

N_Tesla, I personally prefer Organza Indecence and agree with Asha. Knowing your tastes, I think you would prefer OI....I've never tried the vintage version so couldn't compare. OI is a cozy gourmand, right up your alley ;-)
    Comme l'amour, le parfum doit captiver la femme dès le premier contact---André Fraysse

Blog Entries

Organza is sweet and spicy. A rich yet unusual oriental. I liked it, however the drydown was too syrupy sweet and vanillary for my liking.