Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Shopping Technique

I'm always trying to find new fragrances, but often end up settling for old favorites due to shopping fatigue. I find it really hard to smell new things and keep track of them long enough to come to a real decision.

Does anyone have tricks that they use to look for new ideas and keep track of things? Keeping blotter samples in some sort of envelopes? A notebook?

I'd love to hear what process others use to sift through the myriad of scents that are out there?

I'd love to buy everything that piques my interest, but one has to have some restraint :-)

Default Re: Shopping Technique

For new ideas, I sniff things in shops, taking home spray cards to get an idea of the mid and base notes and, most importantly, read the fragrance reviews that are posted on this forum and elsewhere. If something seems promising, I will obtain a small sample vial of it (you can get them in some department stores and specialty stores like Sephora) or order a sample from one of the online places that sell them. My taste runs to perfumes that you can't generally get in the mainstream shops, so the reviews and samples are my staple source right now. Have fun searching.

Blog Entries

I posted this in the Sample obsession -Ernie Gallo's Abuse Clinic thread.

I put index cards in these baggies so they will stand up & then I can read the titles (house). I collect samples and try them all the time to remind myself what I like & dislike. It has taken about 2 years but I have a good idea now what I prefer.
    Currently wearing: French Cancan by Caron

What does the cat prefer? Mine likes civet. No kidding.

I like your method of organizing your samples. I need to do something like this.
    Last edited by Doc Elly; 6th January 2010 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries

I think he's looking for some 'Tokyo Milk'.
    Maybe I'll give him some Jicky & see if he likes it!
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th January 2010 at 09:12 PM.

I've tried the sample route but I seem to have to try some scents a few times before I decide. I've also made some purchases based on samples that ended up overwhelming when I applied them via spray but a little sample on my wrist I liked. That's what the sale/swap section is for I guess. Maybe I'll try the decant route next....
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

Thanks for the picture, and great idea, kumquat! I like the file cabinet approach.

When going in to the store, do you tend to have an idea of what you'd like to look at ahead of time? Or do you tend to browse a bit?

First time you shop, try as many as you can-this although exhausting on the nose gives you a brief yet fast glimpse of what you like. Next time go back with 5-6 of the best scents and only test them. If thats not enough to make you decide then go back a third time and only test the best 2-3 and finally choose one. Of course you would have to live near a nice perfume store- department store but theres nothing stopping you buying many samples and then using this technique to refine your choices.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Blog Entries

I usually try a few on paper (write down what they are on the slip). (Usually it's a new one on the market). Then throw the card in my bag & carry on. If there are one or two I really want on the back of my hand I'll put them on, one on each hand & let them dry. You can't do this in a hurry. It's too expensive & these bottles should last quite a while.

When I get to a store that has a decent selection of perfume, my shopping technique is _supposed_ to be the following. That doesn't mean that I don't frequently stagger out of the store after smelling thirty things and with perfume on so many pieces of skin that I have no idea what's what. But this is what's supposed to happen:

- Circle the whole perfume department to decide which eight or so you want to sniff on paper.

- Circle again and sniff those eight on paper.

- Choose which two to four that you want to sniff on skin.

- Spray those on skin, preferably on my arms so you can get the perfume somewhat away from your nose for a while. Make a note of what's where; it's amazingly easy to forget as they dry and start to transform.

- Ask for samples of those four and any other samples you can get your hands on. Usually, get a polite, "Oh, dear we don't have any samples of that right now; would you like to try this delightfully fruity new release?"

- Accept the delightfully fruity new release sample, because you never know. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING, unless you've gone through the whole process previously and have a definite well-sampled purchase that you've already planned on. Do not feel guilty about not buying anything. Do not feel pressured to buy anything.

- Go away for the day, give your nose a break for a least a few minutes, and sniff at those four spots as they develop.

- If you didn't get a sample, return another day and, without sniffing other things, apply _one_ of those scents as if you were going to wear it. If you did get a sample, wear that sample and nothing else for a day.

- If the sampling goes well but the sample was small, send off for a decant and wear it a couple more times. If the sample is large, wear it a couple more times.

- Repeat with the other current top candidates.

- Decide whether to buy one of the well-sampled candidates. Seriously pause to consider whether it would be wiser to get a larger decant and use it up first, to be really really sure.

- I change this to "me", not "you", because it's just my philosophy: If the store gave me a sample, especially if they gave me a large sample sufficient for making up my mind, I make a note to buy perfume there, even if the price is a little higher. It doesn't necessarily have to be the perfume that the sample was for, if that particular perfume is extremely heavily discounted somewhere, but I try to suport the good store with a near-future purchase.

Feh. I can't seem to edit posts. No, you're not spraying on "my arms", you're spraying on yours. There may be other similar errors. Sorry about that.

Blog Entries

I make a list of fragrances I want to try based on either popularity in sales, similarities in notes to what I love and own, recommendations and what catches my eye. Before I walk into a fragrance boutique I know what I want to try, that avoids being confused over what you smelt during that day.

My trick is to grab about 10 tester cards and write down the name of the fragrance you want to spray on each card. That way you don't get side-tracked and you know what's what when you get home.

If you enjoy the scent on the tester card, write down the name of it and then head back to the store and test it on your skin. I usually try it on my skin a minimum of 3 tries before deciding to purchase.

Blog Entries

My technique is remarkably close to Chickenfreak's, it has served me well. But dodging annoying SAs is something I'd rather do without... And they never seem to have any samples for free.
    Currently wearing: 11 by Le Cherche Midi

The Worst thing about sniffing too many perfumes on a single day is that they can daze your senses thus proving you dessicated of smell. I like to take my blotters home as the scent still stays complete and well reserved. Make sure you do put up with the blotter from the top notes till' the dry down. It proves satiable! Remember patience (For Me) Is the key to picking the perfect frag!

Also, If a shop is eligible of handing out free sample vials...It'll be a must! take the opportunity!

Good Luck!

Cheers and take care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket