Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Is My Fragrance Real?, or Just Sort of Real? Do You Really Get What You Pay For?

It occurred to me tonight, whilst I was reading the Reformulation thread, that, collectively, we denizens of Base Notes, are mad as heck about fragrance industry's reformulation activities. There is frustration that the fragrance industry fails to listen to it's clients. What you may not realize is that Base Notes, in providing a wonderful research tool, also provides it's readers with the news of what the industry is or is not doing. I think eventually informed consumers will make decisions NOT to buy certain products based on the product manufacturers conduct in providing a product which now is the product in name only. You can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time. There is only one thing the industry reacts to and that is diminishing sales. If not for the observations and comments by informed consumers like us, the industry could simply sell their wares to a new generation unaware of the changes to the character of the product under the same names. The key is educating the public of all ages. Base Notes provides that educational tool. Sooner or later the public is going to take issue with paying big money for items that no longer provide the quality of experience they once did. There is a saying that goes "if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck then, chances are, it is a duck." Some fragrance products look like a duck but, there have been so many changes that they walk like a turkey and smell like a goose. As a vigilant consumer group your information will benefit those in the industry that value their clients and act accordingly and negatively impact the coffers of those who do not. Efforts like those of Mysticknot in brining reformulation information together is IMO admirable and all should assist her in her efforts IMO.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 6th January 2010 at 08:00 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Is My Fragrance Real?, or Just Sort of Real? Do You Really Get What You Pay For?

N_Tesla - thank you ! I try !

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Some fragrance products look like a duck but, there have been so many changes that they walk like a turkey and smell like a goose
    BTW- I LOVE this phrase of yours. Many recently reformulated fragrances may be described this way .......

These days , I am inclined to buy a little vintage I love and I will probably look forward to newer innovative scents - I will drive myself nuts and broke if I try to hoard as much as possible. It just isn't sensible for me me to do so. I would rather bid some perfumes 'adieu' and move on.
    Life is like that and so we roll on.......

However, saying all that, I am angered that we consumers always have to take what we are given - in re. to reformulations and pay for it too.
    We complain ,we email ,we write ,we give our 'valued feedback' ( huh ! ) but no one really takes much notice and sometimes we get no reply- yeah Chanel - I'm talkin' about you !
    So far ,everything I have read about reasons for the bans on various materials ,just do not add up . Their reasons seem weak, insincere and lacking in substance IMHO.
    Since when did any industry really care about the consumer except for the number of us buying /spending ? ie. dollars and cents.
    I really can't imagine the industry being worried about MY rashes - only the amount I will sue them for, should I get a rash .

Anyway, I will shut up now and climb weakly off my soapbox.
    Just my 2 cents and nothing more.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 6th January 2010 at 08:35 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Is My Fragrance Real?, or Just Sort of Real? Do You Really Get What You Pay For?

mysticknot; You go girl! Someone has to lead the revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    N_Tesla - thank you ! I try !

BTW- I LOVE this phrase of yours. Many recently reformulated fragrances may be described this way .......

These days , I am inclined to buy a little vintage I love and I will probably look forward to newer innovative scents - I will drive myself nuts and broke if I try to hoard as much as possible. It just isn't sensible for me me to do so. I would rather bid some perfumes 'adieu' and move on.
    Life is like that and so we roll on.......

However, saying all that, I am angered that we consumers always have to take what we are given - in re. to reformulations and pay for it too.
    We complain ,we email ,we write but no one really takes much notice and sometimes we get no reply- yeah Chanel - I'm talkin' about you !
    So far ,everything I have read about reasons for the bans on various materials ,just do not add up . Since when did any industry really care about the consumer except for the number of us buying /spending ? ie. dollars and cents.
    I really can't imagine the industry being worried about MY rashes - only the amount I will sue them for, should I get a rash .

Anyway, I will shut up now and climb weakly off my soapbox.
    Just my 2 cents and nothing more.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The informed fragrance consumer is unfortunately a minority. The majority are still 'trapped' in the Matrix...like frogs in a pot of water on a very slow boil. Other than the purists and perfumista, I often wonder if the average consumer really cares...

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    mysticknot; You go girl! Someone has to lead the revolution.
    All hail our Beloved Leader, Subcommandant Mysticknot! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    The informed fragrance consumer is unfortunately a minority. The majority are still 'trapped' in the Matrix...like frogs in a pot of water on a very slow boil. Other than the purists and perfumista, I often wonder if the average consumer really cares...
    Perfume is very susceptible to falling down the memory hole as the only reference are the older products. I'm afraid that this will be the case, that the majority of consumers are more concerned with luxury and prestiege and other concepts manufactured by advertising firms than how the juice actually smells. I agree with comrade Tesla, the only thing the will notice is their sales figures. If we are lucky people will notice that the new reformulation of "Oud Eau Noirella-suko" smells worse than the 3 dollar can of Axe they can pick up with their groceries and stop buying them.

I'm still convinced that the IFRA's links with the major fragrance companies are far too close to be healthy (i.e., all of their board members from Givaudan, Shieshedo etc, being headquartered inside Givaudan's Geneva HQ, etc.) and that the IFRA regulations are mainly to force the use of patented synthetics and boost company profits but perhaps I just need a thicker tin foil hat

Basenotes Institution

* I bow humbly to my fellow perfume comrades*

Another great phrase that is apt, Diamondflame - The majority are still 'trapped' in the Matrix...like frogs in a pot of water on a very slow boil.

Zizanoides - Absolutely right- re IFRA links. Too close for comfort, all buddy buddy ...........

All scents are REAL, no matter where they come from. But all perfumes - in fact, practically NO perfumes are real in the way they are promoted to be. They ALL are only shadows of the flowery blend of words and images of advertisers, and not the flowery blends of the ingredients they purport to be made from. Because you can not take a photo of a scent, the elusive and fleeting nature of every one of them is why this industry is the goldmine that it is: people are so easily deceived or led to part with their money for the poetic imagery they engender, and not their fragrance product.

In my opinion, one real solution for this is to force a 90 degree curve on the lovers of scent, by unifying the mostly glossed-over and misunderstood art of aromatherapy and natural perfumery with conventional fragrance appreciation. Most perfumistas just roll their eyes when they hear the word ‘aromatherapy’, mostly because they have only associated it with head-shop twinkies and earth-shoe naturalists. But being educated about the wisdom of nature’s plant essences is where it all began, for scent, for medicine, for gastronomy and many other things we all enjoy on a daily basis. There is great joy, wisdom and pleasure to be found there.

If it’s OK for fragrance houses to use the reference names of specific plants and flowers to describe their scents, when in actuality there isn’t a drop of any of them in the product, isn’t that FRAUD? Can any other industry get away with such things? And if they are so proud of these essential oils that they would openly link, reference and associate them to their perfumes, why are they pushing so strongly to stop using them? If they stop using them, they MUST stop name-dropping them.

Serious fragrance lovers should educate themselves in the wonders of nature's essential oils. The 'wisdom' in them has only really begun to be understood. After all, they evolved over millions of years, not discovered yesterday by some under-paid chemist in a basement lab. Yes, there is amazing discoveries and knowledge being created at work stations all over the world. New aromatic molecules await us. I wouldn’t want that to stop. But more honesty in the perfume industry is something we should all demand. If hydroxycitronellal is the ingredient that makes your perfume smell great, by all means disclose this. Don’t lie and say it is ‘Egyptian rose’ (right!), or buttercup (snort!) or hydrangea (guffaw!) for god’s sake.

HONESTY….we must start DEMANDING it!

Blog Entries

I think an aromatherapy discussion could be a usefull addition to BN. But it would need to be open to both positive and negative experience, as are the other discussions. Since I'm currently recovering from an operation, I'd be glad to find a place where I could ask for suggestions for non-prescription pain management, non-drug sleep aids, etc. But, to be valuable to me, the discussion would have to be open to comments from people who were and who were not helped by various suggestions.

Such a discussion might also explore natural vs. synthetic aromatherapy. E.g., does it take whole fresh Lavender flowers to promote relaxation, or extract of lavender, or a few key molecules originally found in lavender.

My whole view of what the fragrance industry has become is this; we spend good money for what appears to be a Rolls Royce, but it has the inner machinations of a tinker toy.
    The fragrance houses are presenting images of luxury, whilst filling the bottles with a cocktail of deception and duplicity.

But a majority of the public is fine with this. They do not care if a Dior or a Chanel scent smells like nirvana or if it smells like a latrine in El Paso, just as long as it looks luxe and prestigious. People pay for a name and that is the top priority.

People of older generations have been brainwashed to think that their sense of smell is going, that is why the scent smells different to them. Therefore, at the end of it all, the majority just lie down like good dogs and wait for their mediocre treats.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Thank goodness for the internet so we can get better educated on what we wear scent wise. I just bought some lemon balm seeds from bakers creek Heirloom seeds today in the hopes of having something in my homemade salve I make that I know where it came from.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post
    I think an aromatherapy discussion could be a usefull addition to BN. But it would need to be open to both positive and negative experience, as are the other discussions. Since I'm currently recovering from an operation, I'd be glad to find a place where I could ask for suggestions for non-prescription pain management, non-drug sleep aids, etc. But, to be valuable to me, the discussion would have to be open to comments from people who were and who were not helped by various suggestions.

Such a discussion might also explore natural vs. synthetic aromatherapy. E.g., does it take whole fresh Lavender flowers to promote relaxation, or extract of lavender, or a few key molecules originally found in lavender.
    I put the lavender buds and coconut unrefined oil (from Mt rose herbs) in my vita mix and strain it for salve. That lavender is just great and natural.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
    HONESTY….we must start DEMANDING it!
    I agree with this- this is part of why I am angry about the reformulations ( such a dirty word reformulation is now )

Quote Originally Posted by ECaruthers View Post

Yes, it would be useful and helpful to have an aromatherapy discussion board- it is a form of perfume after all .

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    My whole view of what the fragrance industry has become is this; we spend good money for what appears to be a Rolls Royce, but it has the inner machinations of a tinker toy.
    The fragrance houses are presenting images of luxury, whilst filling the bottles with a cocktail of deception and duplicity.

But a majority of the public is fine with this. They do not care if a Dior or a Chanel scent smells like nirvana or if it smells like a latrine in El Paso, just as long as it looks luxe and prestigious. People pay for a name and that is the top priority.

People of older generations have been brainwashed to think that their sense of smell is going, that is why the scent smells different to them. Therefore, at the end of it all, the majority just lie down like good dogs and wait for their mediocre treats.
    Well said ,Brielle !

Blog Entries

I think new consumer protection laws and import regulations need to be proposed that would make it obligatory that, in the United States, regardless if manufactured in the U.S or enters the U.S. as an import, when a fragrance product is changed in it it's formulation, that it must be clearly stated on the product and the box notifying the consumer that the product they are purchasing has been changed in formulation and indicating the date of change. The fragrance companies right to use their brand names would be protected as well as the the consumer knowing that what they are buying is reasonably what they expect it to be.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 9th January 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Blog Entries

SUPPORT INDIE PERFUMERS. We buck the system daily to design what you can no longer procure in department stores.
    Lovingly constructed artisan fragrances are one of the very few handmade luxuries you can still afford outside of Bangladesh.

If you reduce everything in life to the lowest common denominator, i.e. by worrying about every single being's personal quirks and allergies, you end up with nothing but purified water... And even then, some Hall Monitor of Life will find a beef with it.

Be your own man or woman. Always follow the money. Always ask why. About EVERYTHING.
    Never let religion, society, advertising or politicians lull you into a stupor.
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com