Code of Conduct

Question A hairy tale - help with applying cologne

Hello,

Firstly, thanks for this wonderful community. I've bought a few colognes based on the reviews here and I found the reviews and I am very happy I liked those colognes!

I've been lurking around on this site for a long time and I find this as an inevitable online resource for any true cologne lover.

Almost nobody around me likes this "disorder" of mine, due to which I collect colognes. But hey - here is a community of thousands that can appreciate and guide me. Thanks again, for that.

And to put my queries:

1. I've seen some people mentioning that two or three sprays to the chest works great. I've an EXTREMELY hairy chest. Is it OK that I spray it on my chest? Will it work good or is it a completely bad idea?

2. Other than that, I usually do one spray to my wrist (to the inside - that is. correct? or should I spray it to the outside? the outside of the wrist is hairy too.)

3. A not very close friend suggested spraying once behind the ears. I thought this was weird, but I'll happily accept any suggestions you guys will give. Is this any good?

4. On the head - what the... Is this right too?

5. What does sillage mean? Is it different from projection? My apologies if I'm dumb, but I'm completely new to investigating all this stuff (although I've been using cologne for a relatively long time).

6. Is there any tips to maximise sillage and projection in general?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by HammerFist; 4th January 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Default Re: A hairy tale - help with applying cologne

1. Hair traps scents very well, so it's a very good idea to spray on your hairy chest.
    2. Doesn't matter. Insides if you want to aim for pulse points, which is often a good idea.
    3. Just a preference, not particularly good or bad.
    4. On the head/hair also works great since hair traps scents, but you might want to spray at the nape of your neck; not too high up if you want to catch a whiff here and there.
    5. Sillage is the amount of fragrance you spread around you; the trail you leave in your wake or in an elevator (for instance).
    6. Spray on your naked stomach/chest/back before getting dressed for a subtle prescense and top it off with one or two sprays on the neck/wrists for more direct projection.

Edit: Welcome to BN!
    Last edited by tott; 4th January 2010 at 06:35 PM.

Thank you very much, tott! #6 is totally new to me. I'll try it today.

A hairy chest means extended longevity LOL. I wish my chest would grow some hair haha.

Tott has given very good advice to u. Just experiment a bit and try to find the number of sprays u r happy with. I personally use 4-5 sprays to the chest and neck. I'm of Chinese descent so i'm practically hairless so I need a few more extra sprays or else the frag won't really last.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

By 4 to 5 sprays to chest and neck, do you mean 5 sprays at each spot (making it a total 10 sprays -OMG-) or 3 to chest and 2 to neck or something like that (totally 5 sprays)?

Thanks to you!

Don't worry I'm using 2 sprays to the neck and 2-3 more sprays to the chest LOL. I have not gone more than that before.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to BN, Hammerfist.

Good tips from tott & JonNy4. I usually vary the no. of sprays (callibrate sillage) according to the fragrance. Some scents are strong that 1-2 sprays on the chest work well enough while others need heavier applications.

Thank you Diamondflame, I'll keep your point in mind and try to calibrate the no. of sprays for different perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerFist View Post
    3. A not very close friend suggested spraying once behind the ears. I thought this was weird, but I'll happily accept any suggestions you guys will give. Is this any good?
    Spraying directly behind the ears is not the best. Spray some on your fingers or a cotton ball and dab the back of your ears. I do it and it's great. Especially when you go out to a loud club or bar and women need to get close to your ears to speak to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I wish my chest would grow some hair haha.
    Dude you can have some of mine. I hate being harry! lol