Code of Conduct

Default men care more about fragrance.....?

whenever I log on, I always see that there are more guys on the male fragrance forum than women on the female one... do we care how we smell more than the ladies???

Dependent

Default Re: men care more about fragrance.....?

I recall this observation's been addressed before. I think it is hugely because normally men don't get much of a chance to discuss fragrances with their friends in person, so this is one of the very few places to do so. Also I think there are much more women on Makeupalley and other cosmetics/fragrances sites.

You seem to assume that the number of registered / active females and the number of registered / active male members are about the same. This assumption is wrong. Basenotes has basically been a male fragrance discussion group and is still attracting more men than women today. This makes it rather unique on the internet. And because of that it probably developed into the most critical group of fragrance freaks.
    Last edited by narcus; 8th January 2010 at 12:11 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    You seem to assume that the number of registered / active females and the number of registered / active male members are about the same. This assumption is wrong. Basenotes has basically been a male fragrance discussion group and still attracting more men than women today. This makes it rather unique on the internet. And because of that it probably developed into the most critical group of fragrance freaks.
    actually..... I was just making a light hearted tongue in cheek comment. I wasn't assuming anything really. Seems to have fallen flat...oh well...

Women will always care more about fragrance than men, but here at basenotes the men rule!

Basenotes was originally targeted to male fragrance enthusiasts. In fact, Grant only added a women's forum a few years ago. As a result, the site has always had a larger male following, although the gals seem to be gaining momentum!

p.s. This is probably the 3rd most frequently asked question on Basenotes, right behind "Which fragrance do chicks dig?" and "Has my [insert favorite cologne] been reformulated?"
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th January 2010 at 09:02 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

True, Snafoo!

(This time, however, I didn't have the impression the question was a controversial one. Just as scentsableguy pointed out!)

Blog Entries

Men have broken out of the stereotypical male role in society which limited fashion and fragrance to women. The times, they are a changing, giving men more freedom to explore hair care, cosmetics and fragrance as well as the fashion of clothing. Who knows perhaps we might even see the day of the chivalier return practicing the code of the gentlemen but, with full freedom of self expression. Seems like I remember a B&H cigarette commercial aimed celebration at the liberalizing of women during the 60' and 70's and modified would simply state; men "you've come a long way baby!" "This above all.To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, Thou cans't not be false to any man." (Hamlet) Never truer advise has ever been given.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 6th January 2010 at 09:27 PM.

The erroneous assumption that women are more enthusiastic about fragrances is typical. I often compare it to cooking. Women have been traditionally encouraged to be the cookers while men do work around the home. However, the same number of proportion of men and women enjoy cooking as a pastime.

YeaH i agree that i always see that men viewing is more then female on here, but outside the world i guess it women, but who care everyone loves perfume! lol it just life.

The most accomplished, devoted, and eccentric experts in nearly every field are predominantly men. Even in fields where this may seem absurd to some, it generally is the case.

Dependent

Isn't it interesting to know that a majority of esteemed Parfumeurs happen to be men as well? Am I wrong? I am not familiar with many noses but of those regularly mentioned here, most seem to be guys.

Disclaimer: I am definitely no MCP or sexist!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Isn't it interesting to know that a majority of esteemed Parfumeurs happen to be men as well? Am I wrong? I am not familiar with many noses but of those regularly mentioned here, most seem to be guys.

Disclaimer: I am definitely no MCP or sexist!
    Also, a large number of men design clothing for women. Hmmmm?

I agree with Snafoo in that BN was originally a men's site. I also tend to think men tend to deconstruct things more than women...like cars, mechanical things, firearms...while most women who try perfume simply say, "Oh, how pretty," and spray it on without thinking of the category or the notes..or the long analysis. This might be generalising, but that is my experience in seeing women customers, colleagues and family members...

Then again, almost all of us BNers deconstruct scent, so that is really not gender-based.
    Last edited by Primrose; 6th January 2010 at 11:38 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Also, a large number of men design clothing for women. Hmmmm?

I agree with Snafoo in that BN was originally a men's site. I also tend to think men tend to deconstruct things more than women...like cars, mechanical things, firearms...while most women who try perfume simply say, "Oh, how pretty," and spray it on without thinking of the category or the notes..or the long analysis. This might be generalising, but that is my experience in seeing women customers, colleagues and family members...

Then again, almost all of us BNers deconstruct scent, so that is really not gender-based.
    Yeah! Haha I noticed that about the designer clothings too! Excellent input, Primrose.

You will find more women in http://www.fragantica.com. Primroses' observation is right, and as a matter of fact, in general, comments in Fragantica are more poetic and / or clearly reflect personal tastes, while the ones in Base Notes are more technical. I think this reflects the fact that analysis can be subject to gender oriented "Weltanschaungen".

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    ... Seems like I remember a B&H cigarette commercial aimed celebration at the liberalizing of women during the 60' and 70's and modified would simply state; men "you've come a long way baby!" ...
    I remember the ads as clear as water, the brand was Virginia Slims, a cigarette targetted to women.