Code of Conduct

Default Top fragrances of the 1960's (and other decades)

I was talking colognes/fragrances with a friend and we were trying to come up with popular fragrances of the 60's and were'nt sure of the top ones. We thought 70's maybe Polo. 80's Obsession. 90's ADG. Where might one find the top 10 of each decade?. I was very little in the 60's. Thanks.

Dependent

Default Re: Top fragrances of the 1960's (and other decades)

I can imagine Eau Sauvage and Guerlain vetiver being huge in the 60s. I wasn't even born in that era, but based on popularity of those 2 even at this current time, I would imagine they had some following back then as well. Not sure where to find any stats though, just my guess!

Pub by Revlon was a popular fragrance.Even today if you go to e bay people are still selling advertising posters of it.

The original Aramis was big too as well as Old Spice though that started in the 30s.

I was a tad young in the 60s. But if there were a Basenotes then, I'd think Habit Rouge, Aramis and Eau Savage would have been the "edgy" popular scents. Aramis was the first that showed up in my world.

I'm not totally up on the history, but my general sense is that men's frags didn't really explode till the late 70s or early 80s.
    I think there was a lot of Old Spice, English Leather, British Sterling, Brut though the 60s.

I have a guess that Polo really lit a fire.

Would love to hear more about the 60s from some people who knew they were frag heads back then.

Brut may have reached its peak during the 70s, but I am sure that it was fairly popular during the 60s....

If BN existed back then, I'm sure people would crave the exotic and discontinued much as they do now.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    If BN existed back then, I'm sure people would crave the exotic and discontinued much as they do now.
    They would also say that the older fragrances from the 20s and 30s were a lot better and that the 60s formulations of those classics were not as good as the original formulations from the 20s and 30s.
    Last edited by Mindbrain; 7th January 2010 at 04:52 AM.

Hai Karate

British Sterling

45 years old here...

1990's: Joop!, Eau Sauvage Extreme, Dior's Fahrenheit, YSL' Jazz, Cool Water, Aqua Di Gio, Issey Miyake.

1980's: in the USA (1982), RL's Polo, Grey Flannel and Armani; down here, Azzaro Pour Homme; everywhere: CK's Obsession, Chanel's Antaeus and YSL's Kouros.

1970's: My sister went mad over Jovan's Musk and Brut, she wore them and found them fantastic on men. Other hits: Givenchy Gentleman, Paco Rabanne and Pierre Cardin. This last one was quite popular in Manhattan back in the mid 1970's. Pino Silvestre and Agua Brava were popular options down here as well as Puig's Estivalia among women.

1960's: Dior's Eau Sauvage and Ricci's Signoricci.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I can imagine Eau Sauvage and Guerlain vetiver being huge in the 60s.
    Along with Habit Rouge, Aramis, Balafre, Monsieur Balmain and from other, earlier decades: Old Spice, Tabac Original, Monsieur Givenchy, Pour un Homme de Caron, Pitralon, Pino Silvestre

Sur la Plage

60's - Jade East
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th January 2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

From the Sixties: Guerlain Vetiver, Eau Sauvage and Capucci PH.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindbrain View Post
    They would also say that the older fragrances from the 20s and 30s were a lot better and that the 60s formulations of those classics were not as good as the original formulations from the 20s and 30s.
    Of course, the unobtainable is always most alluring.

If I were to vote on the top frag of the 60's I would have to say Habit Rouge.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

English Leather - Mem
    Canoe - Dana
    Eau Sauvage - Dior
    Aramis - Aramis/Estee Lauder
    Top Brass - Revlon
    That Man - Revlon

Back in the 60's I being a young lad wore I alot of.
    Jade East
    Canoe
    A scent called Hawaiian Surf..Lime fragrance
    Guerlain's Vetiver
    English Leather
    Chanel for Men..On special occasion's. Kind of expensive on my little part time job.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Aramis
    Eau Sauvage
    habit Rouge
    Brut
    Agua Brava
    Jade East

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Hai Karate
    I think they advertised the dickens out of that. I know I had a bottle. But is was so *$*&^% foul, I think it probably collapsed.

No women attacked anybody wearing that vile juice. That was like an early version of the pet rock I think.

As far as popular? English Leather, British Stirling, Canoe, Brut, Old Spice.

As far as what I think was best that I would still wear now? Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage, Aramis, Vetiver, Tabac Original

Glad to see you back!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    As far as popular? English Leather, British Stirling, Canoe, Brut, Old Spice.

As far as what I think was best that I would still wear now? Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage, Aramis, Vetiver, Tabac Original

When I was about 7 or 8, I took my dad's Hai Karate, put it all over my hands and tried to karate chop some boards. Guess I thought it was some balm for martial arts. Maybe I can try that nowadays with Joop!

Oh, wow, this was my decade. Some of the best selling men's fragrances in the States were English Leather, Jade East, Hai Karate, Canoe, British Sterling, and the ubiquitous Old Spice. Some were sold in drug stores and others in department stores.

In the seventies men's fragrances mushroomed and there were things such as Kanon, Royal Pub, Pub, the Jovan Suite of musk oils, Royal Copenhagen, the Aramis line, Givenchy, and the Pierre Cardin line.

My Pop was a very stylish gentleman from the WWII generation...Lets see...He wore Floris no.89, Habit Rouge, Acqua di Parma Colonia...And there was always Old Spice, English Leather, and British Sterling around....And one Christmas I bought him some "007", and he very graciously acted happy about it...

He was outspoken about thinking most of the '60's frags were derived from earlier classics...Habit Rouge and No.89 were refinements in the tradition of their perspective houses, so that was cool...He was very hip about dressing and grooming, now that I think about it...He never got hooked on the cartridge shaving thing, and always used high-end shaving soaps and a brush...And it appeared he was always wearing a new tailored suit...

It makes it hard for me...He set the bar too high...lol...But he did teach me how great a good scent can make you feel...a great shave...or a chorus played by Bird...Its the simple things in life that can bring so much pleasure....
    Last edited by be-bop; 17th November 2011 at 01:08 PM.
    "Music Is My Mistress, and She Plays Second Fiddle To No One"-Ellington

Habit Rouge
    Brut (sales)
    Balafre (a personal favorite)

Post mentions other decades too. Drakkar Noir is missing from the 80's. I think the 60' are well covered. 70' should include Halston z14 and 1-12 but those are very popular in the 80's. The early 90's begins with the fresh, ozonic, calone fragrance. The ubiquitous smell of sport deodorants and shower gels. The later 90's are JPG Le Male, A*Men gourmand types. 2000's show a return to woody masculine fragrances but with emphasis on light.

My two favorites are essential oils of patchouli and sandalwood. I still much prefer these earthy scents over today's fragrances, especially women's, that are (IMHO) noxiously sweet. Great question.

From the sixties - Brut
    From the fifties - Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    From near the start of the century (1916) Acqua Di Parma.

I live and grew up near Nashville, TN in a small town. I graduated high school in 1965. So I was there. I can tell you the two most popular scents for males were British Sterling and English Leather. The guys wore it so much that the halls stunk with the scents. But us girls loved them none the less.
    Now the ladies wore Emeraude by Coty, White Shoulders, Wind Song, Arpege, Avon perfumes, April in Paris and many others. We thought we were so chic and worldly. Oh the memories.

Eau Sauvage, Chanel Pour Monsieur, Guerlain Vetiver....

Basenotes Plus

Burt - Faberge was King
    Jade East
    Hai Karate
    English Leather
    Canoe - Dana if you wanted the good stuff $5.00