Code of Conduct

Default Helmut Lang - Cuiron Alternative

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

I have been exclusively using Helmut Lang Cuiron since it was introduced, and now I am slowly but surely running out of supply. I only wear cologne at partys and special occasions, otherwise I use a odourless antiperspirant. It's my absolute favourite, and everytime i try another cologne, it reminds me of how good Cuiron is and how bad the competition is.

Since I have never really used any other cologne, I was wondering if anyone could suggest a feasible alternative?

Default Re: Helmut Lang - Cuiron Alternative

It really is very good, isn't it? Unfortunately, I can't think of a close alternative...it is absolutely unique. There are alternative good leather scents, but none has the same tart, crispy feeling that Cuiron has.

My other favorite "pure" leather is Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather, but while it's very good, I consider it the smooth, velvety counterpoint to Cuiron, rather than a close peer.

If you are able, the thing to do might just be the drop the cash on a bottle from Ebay. It'll cost about has much as Tuscan Leather anyway.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 7th January 2010 at 06:06 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Good call with Tuscan Leather.

My retired Cuiron always reminded me of the discontinued Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1978) There must be a few available somewhere...

Welcome to BaseNotes, Lazlo.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Stetson Rich Suede

I'm not joking.

heeley's fine leather may provide some relief

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Stetson Rich Suede

I'm not joking.
    Agreed!!!
    It's like Cuiron minus the plum notes and the light animalic edge at the drydown.
    I sold off my Cuiron and made some money, knowing Stetson Rich Suede would be there to scratch the itch.
    Last edited by Manuel; 8th January 2010 at 03:57 AM.

Where have you found Rich Suede?

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    Where have you found Rich Suede?
    Most drug stores ought to have it. I picked up a few bottles at Rite-Aid and I spotted a few at Walgreens and Target a few months ago.

Everlast Original 1910, but of course !

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Stetson Rich Suede

I'm not joking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Agreed!!!
    It's like Cuiron minus the plum notes and the light animalic edge at the drydown.
    I sold off my Cuiron and made some money, knowing Stetson Rich Suede would be there to scratch the itch.

I told myself I was not going to blind buy anymore, but you two have me convinced !
    Last edited by Surfacing; 8th January 2010 at 05:28 PM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Everlast Original 1910, but of course !
    This stuff must be the chameleon of the fragrance world given the number of times Bigsly suggests it as a replacement for other frags.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    This stuff must be the chameleon of the fragrance world given the number of times Bigsly suggests it as a replacement for other frags.
    LoL...I couldn't have put it better.

Cool Re: Helmut Lang - Cuiron Alternative

Cuir d' Oranger by Miller Harris.

Check out the reviews.
    If it sounds intriguing, order a decant.
    If you're out of control with enthusiasm, buy it blind!
    If you're too apathetic, confused or indecisive, wait for me to win the lotto.

( I promised a bottle to all Basenotes members who gave Cuiron a glowing review. I think they might like it even better )

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

hot leather imo smells very similar
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Etienne Aigner's In Leather Man -Suede Edition .
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128962.html

So smooth,so soft...
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Let's be fair, though. The first thread I created on BN about EO 1910 I called it horrible. The strong grapefruit up top and the leather in the base was too "rough" for me at that time, plus I smelled it up close, which is not a good idea with this frag. As my perception developed, I came t appreciate both the grapefruit and the leather notes, at least in this particular formulation. I think I prefer the Daim Blond type of leather better (such as in DKNY Fuel for men or Histoire d'Eau), but EO 1910 has a solid place in my rotation. However, when I recommend it, I'm doing so because it is versatile (as Burr himself notes), "natural," nicely balanced, dynamic, etc. And it's selling for ridiculously low prices. I can't think of another "true leather" frag that is this good and this cheap.

wow! thanks for all the answers! I am definitely gonna try out some of these. But I'm thinking about going non-leather, does anybody have any suggestions for a non-leather cologne that matches cuiron in quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    wow! thanks for all the answers! I am definitely gonna try out some of these. But I'm thinking about going non-leather, does anybody have any suggestions for a non-leather cologne that matches cuiron in quality?
    ROFLMAO!

This thread is destined to be a classic!

Lazlo, there are many high quality scents---

You can look at a member's wardrobe and check out all the ones he gave a 5 star rating to.
    Or you can look at this page and try any that ask: X vs Y which is best? (I believe I've counted 3 so far)
    Or a post that begins with: My brother loves Yatagan but he's all out of it and his birthday is coming up, what should I get him?
    Or . . .

Welcome to the Forums.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Mario, I enjoy Cuiron, so I'll put Cuir d'Oranger on my test list...

Welcome to Basenotes, Lazlo. Suggest you start off with samples, at least to figure out your tastes & preferences.

Best alternative to Cuiron by smell is Piper Leather by Illuminum.
    But not in price, sorry...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Best alternative to Cuiron by smell is Piper Leather by Illuminum.
    But not in price, sorry...
    Thanks for the heads up on that one, I've been wanting to try some of their fragrances.

The closest I have smelled to Cuiron is G11 by Il Profumo. (And the association struck me immediately when I tried G11, although it's entirely by memory since I haven't worn Cuiron since about 1998. I wish I could test them side by side to see if I'm right.)
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    ...The closest I have smelled to Cuiron is G11 by Il Profumo. (And the association struck me immediately when I tried G11, although it's entirely by memory since I haven't worn Cuiron since about 1998. I wish I could test them side by side to see if I'm right.)
    There is certainly a similarity to G-11 that I smell as well. I gotta pull that one out one of these days. Its been forever since I have worn it. Being an EDP, it wears closer to my skin than other scents, but then again so did Cuiron.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I can't think of something that resembles the characteristics of Cuiron. It's mesmerizing.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I can't think of something that resembles the characteristics of Cuiron. It's mesmerizing.
    You're mesmerizing

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    You're mesmerizing
    hahaha you couldn't resist not posting could you.

for swap/sale:

Several reviews of Jean Luc Amsler Prive Homme state that it is reminiscent of Helmut Lang Cuiron.

I am in Japan for a couple of weeks and brought my bottle of Cuiron to wear while I am here--it just seems right, somehow. The plum note is very Japanese, and somehow the paired down leather seems to be a good fit. I am now in a ryokan in Kyoto and happy to have Cuiron along for the ride......

Cuiron was unique, no alternative to me!
    ....why pamper life's complexities when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat....