Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What was your favourite personal fragrance 'find' of 2009?

I realise it may be a little late for this, but I thought it might be a fun discussion.

What was the best 'new to you' fragrance you discovered in 2009? Perhaps it was something that really was brand new on the market or something that's been around since the beginning of the 20th century. But if it was new to YOU and you absolutely fell in love with it, perhaps you'd like to share it here.

To get the ball rolling, I'll say my favourite was Guerlain's Nahema. I sprayed it on a strip at a local branch of John Lewis and - as Luca Turin puts it in his guide - was immediately sucked into a perfume vortex that left me quite breathless. Sheer magic!
    ---
    Please visit www.dariushalavi.com.
    Many thanks.

Default Re: What was your favourite personal fragrance 'find' of 2009?

My personal fragrance 'find' of 2009 where the fragrances created by the great Bernard Chant, especially Aramis´JHL. Kudos to Aramis/Estee Lauder for re-releasing this wonderful scent! But Devin, Aramis 900, Aramis (original), Azurée and Lauder for men are great scents too. Sadly underrated, they definitely deserve more attention and a better reputation, IMO!
    Last edited by sables; 8th January 2010 at 10:32 AM.

Mine was Guerlain's Vol de Nuit vintage Extrait. It was an epiphany for me.

It might sound commercial, but it was TF Black Orchid... Wow...

Mine was Creed's Windsor. I've never been interested in wearing a rose scent before, but that one really changed my mind.

Cool Re: What was your favourite personal fragrance 'find' of 2009?

Creed's Baie de Genièvre tops the list.
    It's been around since 1982 but it took me until 2009 to find it.
    Amazing that such a great scent could be made simply from Juniper Berry, Cinnamon leaves, and Vettiver. The reviews are spot on.

There are Holy Grails to be discovered, are they not?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

For me it was Mauboussin Homme EDP. A very elegant and warm fragrance.

Given that my entire awakening to perfume is encompassed by 2009 I should probably credit every scent, I shall restrict myself to three, vintage Vent Vert, vintage Cabochard and Fumerie Turque. Many thanks to all Basenoters, I couldn't wear Obsession for men forever.

Parfumerie Generale Aomassai

Divine l'homme sage was my best find for the year.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

To me, it was- although a bit commercial too- Burberry London for Men (2006). Even if I don't own it yet, it was in 2009 I finally decided that I got to have it asap.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th January 2010 at 01:24 PM.

Solo Loewe would be my pick. The sillage and longevity may not be that good but to me Solo smells perfect.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Eaux des Baux
    I smelled it before, but not until 2009 and after severals tries I "found" it to be a true gem.

Another find was my discovery that every Shiseido counter would have a counter for Serge Lutens perfumes. :P (SL is the only 'niche' sold in country).
    Last edited by cusut; 8th January 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Dependent

I fell and I mean fell in love with the house of Lutens and that is definitely my find of the year 2009. I never thought my homie(), Creed would've have been so easily displaced, er yeah I've been wrong before.

How do I choose just one? I found my top three fragrances of all time in 2009.

It started early when I finally got around to sampling MPG's newest Bois de Turquie. I was instantly smitten.

Then, a bit later in the year I discovered Amouage. Say hello to a (much!) lighter wallet. I instantly fell for Reflection Man and Lyric Man and picked up a bottle of each within a few months (these were basically my only purchases this year).
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Mouchoir de Monsieur. I had smelled it before, but last year it clicked. I've been away from basenotes for a long time now, maybe two months, and have worn MdM alot. Now I'm making a comeback, though .

Blog Entries

Amouage Gold (ladies), hands down.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Reading my posts you'd think i was a veteran user of both Tom Ford Private Collection and Amouage frags. I actually came across both houses and their frags in 2009, thanks to BaseNotes! But what an experience it has been!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I'm pretty new to all this. There was a lot I tried and really liked last year. Some, based on reputation, I hoped I would like, and then did. But for me, totally out of left field, just because I never thought I would like it, and ended up loving it: L'Artisan's Tea for Two.

I discovered tabac blond in 09. There are so many that I haven't tried yet.... what will 2010 bring I wonder?
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Amouage Gold (ladies), hands down.
    Oh, I just tried that on new Years Day and I've been lily crazed lately, I appreciate it too! It's so lovely. I am on the look out for a bottle. Glad to know someone else loves it too.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

2009 was the year I got into fragrance (as a hobby). Two of my favorite finds were AdP Colonia Assoluta and GIT. Followed by Chergui, Musc Ravageur, and Bois du Portugal.

Fantastic Man from Byredo

I just got into frags in '09 so it's all still very new. But with the limited experience I've had the stand-outs have been..
    • Creed - Green Irish Tweed
    • Czech & Speake - No.88
    • Czech & Speake - Cuba
    • Domenico Caraceni - Domenico Caraceni 1913
    ~Mark~

Probably my favorite purchase in 2009 was Spiritueuse double Vanille by Guerlain

Blog Entries

Monsieur Carven
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Domenico Caraceni 1913

First one I researched thoroughly and found through Basenotes.

Xerjoff Mefisto

Two houses that I got acquainted with in 2009: Sonoma Scent Studio and Smell Bent. Both have a great range of scents that I'm still exploring and enjoying more and more.

My favorite is New West ....I know I can still get it at Macys however they dont make the nectar anymore ..I use to spray on the the spray and put a dab of the nectar on with it and it created a gr8 smell ...I wish the nectar was still inproduction ...Im sure alot of women think that ...everyone that I know says the same thing...I did call Este' Lauter and they told me that its discontinued ...

To me it was MASAKI MATSUSHIMA-Aqua Mat .

Givenchy Insense
    Laura Tonatto - Albi

Creed MI.

I see how it is very different yet very similar to Unforgivable.
    LF: CAP/LID for Creed Original vetiver and Creed Millesime Imperiale, 75ml. Please pm me.. Thanks!

Parfums de Nicolaï's Patchouli Homme/Intense.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Guerlain L'Heure Bleue.

I don't know why I had stayed away fromthe house of Guerlain for so long

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Vintage Dukes of Pall Mall Cotswold
    Dukes of Pall Mall Belgravia
    Dominique Dubrana's amazing natural perfumes, particularly Tabac and Grezzo.
    Etro's Shaal Nur, a perfect go-to-oriental
    Loewe pour homme
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

In terms of "finds," Victoria's Secret Vertical was a completely unhyped release that just about no one here has tried that works very very well on me. It's almost like a dry, chocolaty gourmand with a pronounced vetiver note.
    I refuse to sink.

My favourite discovery of 2009 has been Vero Profumo, and Onda in particular. Vero Kern proves that you can make fragrances with modern materials that smell as wonderful and are as rich as vintage Guerlains or Carons. Big thumbs up!
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Basenotes Institution

These two did it for me:

Philtre d'Amour by Guerlain. I fell in love with sample(s). Lusted after a bee bottle. Procrastinated. Bid (unsucessfully) on two bottles of Ebay. And then, in a lucky auction, managed to snag a vintage bottle of it, online. Now...of course, it's been officially discontinued. Nonetheless, 2009 was the year I finally came full circle to owning this elusive and wonderful juice.

Fille en Aiguilles by Serge Lutens. I didn't buy a bottle, but a generous Basenoter gifted me a large decant and this totally rocked my 2009 holidays. It soothed me, made me feel like I was walking around wearing pajamas on Christmas morning. I also wore it to the funeral of my grandmother, and it calmed me wonderfully. I can't wait til next holiday season, when I will most likely get a full bottle.

Most likely my number 1 Dior Homme Cologne. Followed closely by a late entry, Josef Statkus.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

The Signature Scent from Bond No.9
    Gary

Wow, so many fascinating responses. I didn't think anyone was posting any replies: I'd set the forum to automatically send me an email as soon as someone posted something, but no email ever came. I just logged on to Basenotes and was shocked to discover forty posts!

Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to write. I confess I haven't heard of most of the fragrances people have mentioned here. There's still so much more to discover! I also think it's especially exciting if one is unfamiliar with an entire perfume range, like, in my case, all of Creed's output: it means there are so many potential treats in store.
    ---
    Please visit www.dariushalavi.com.
    Many thanks.

I think my "finds" were a discovery of my favourite leather notes in Cuir de Lancome and Parfum d'Empire's Cuir Ottoman.

I like heavier scents and these have stayed with me for months.
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th January 2010 at 09:43 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Becoming re-aquainted with original Aramis. Delicious fragrance still.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by aacrazygirl View Post
    My favorite is New West ....I know I can still get it at Macys however they dont make the nectar anymore ..I use to spray on the the spray and put a dab of the nectar on with it and it created a gr8 smell ...I wish the nectar was still inproduction ...Im sure alot of women think that ...everyone that I know says the same thing...I did call Este' Lauter and they told me that its discontinued ...
    New West is wonderful ...........

For me , rediscovery of Shalimar,Mitsouko and also En Avion and Tabac Blond.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Everything. Before 2009 I occasionally wore Adidas and Banana Republic colognes. Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (found at a yard sale) started my interest and BN, perfumed court, and sampling/buying ensued. Eternally grateful to have found Antaeus, Mitsouko, Sublime, Third Man, Zino, M7, Encre Noire, No. 5, Shalimar, Arpege, Baghari, Opium, etc. and added them to my wardrobe. Also happy to have tried out many others, both niche and vintage, especially Tauers, Lutens, Guerlains, and Chanels. It's a pricey, but rewarding obsession.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

hmm.. It`s difficult to pick out one, but there was one fragrance that gave me that "wow" experience and opened my eyes to Italian niche-perfumery. So unique, so original. A high quality attention-grabber. -Sienne I`Hiver by Eau d`Italie.

Amouage gold, homage, gold ladies, xxv.

Honore des Pres Sexy Angelic (if this lasted longer there's a good chance it would be tied for my overall #1 frag ever) - as close as I have come to my HG unsweet, soft gourmand.

Satellite Ipanema

Serge Lutens La Myrrhe
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 8th January 2010 at 10:34 PM.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Ambre Narguile...
    followed by Body Kouros...

... on the same day

That was a great day!

Andy

Profumum Olibanum, only I didn't like it at first, later, enormous 'wow'.

If I have to pick just one, it would be Eau Illuminée (Parfums DelRae) - I was instantly seduced by the haunting beauty of this scent and the impeccable quality of the perfumer's work. It restored my faith in contemporary perfumery!

Another favourite, and a surprising find was Dior's Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir, for the simple reason that I didn't expect to it to be better than the original...but my nose respectfully disagreed.
    Last edited by fjord; 8th January 2010 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tedster View Post
    2009 was the year I got into fragrance (as a hobby).
    Quote Originally Posted by dacha View Post
    Given that my entire awakening to perfume is encompassed by 2009 I should probably credit every scent...
    Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    I just got into frags in '09 so it's all still very new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Everything. Before 2009 I occasionally wore Adidas and Banana Republic colognes.

Like Tedster, dacha, markb, and Antaeusintheair 2009 was the year fragrances turned from an occasional spritz of my 1-2 frags into a hobby, and began becoming an all out obsession. So nearly everything in my wardrobe was discovered in 2009 (except Polo and Cool Water).

If I had to pick my favorite though, it is no doubt Bvlgari Aqva. Love at first sniff. It is immediately followed by Gendarme (thanks adonis), Versace Pour Homme, and a late entry L'eau par Kenzo (thanks awayalonealong).

Finding Basenotes certainly enriched my life and lightened my wallet in 2009.

Dior Homme Cologne was a very pleasant surprise for me. I bought it blind (which I never do) based on Indie Guy's posts about it (thanks Indie Guy!). I always found the original to be a unwearable masterpiece, so it was a no-brainer to buy a version of it that's fresher and more wearable.
    Sales thread here

Basenotes Plus

2009 has been a bountiful year in terms of 'love at first whiff experience'...some of my notable favorite finds of 2009:-

Caron Tabac Blond (vintage)
    Esencia Loewe
    1969 Revolte
    Serge Noire

I think my best "wear it often" additions for 2009 were:

Parfums de Nicolai New York
    Tam Dao
    Tiffany for Men and
    JHL

For me, it would definitely have to be Carven Homme (lots of positive feedback) and F pour Homme Black by Ferragamo. This latter of the two is sold exclusively through Nordstroms and Ferragamo boutiques right now, but it is well worth the sniff.

I've worn fragrance since I was a teen and have always been interested, but this year I quit smoking and decided to focus on fragrance as part of my strategy.

My biggest "finds" are all the classic Guerlains and Chanels. I've been aware of them, but have unfortunately been ignoring them for most of my life (except for Habit Rouge, which I've worn on and off since the 80's).

Miller Harris Terre d'Bois. Just a real good match for my personal skin chemistry. It's weird...it's how I imagine I'd like my skin to smell if there was no such thing as cologne and we had to have a permanent "signature scent". It's a light smell, but delicious and natural. A bottle of Bois du Portual from years ago was the same way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WhosYerBob View Post
    Mine was Creed's Windsor. I've never been interested in wearing a rose scent before, but that one really changed my mind.
    Exactly the same here. It changed my thoughts on Rose. It also proved I don't universally dislike Cedar-prominent drydowns. So it hurt my pockets more than it's own cost, but in opening me up to other rose or cedar scents.

Finding out Maitre and L'Artisan room sprays were better than than other niche houses best scents' was a nice "find" also.