Code of Conduct

Default The Third Man-Caron

i have the possibility to buy this frag blind. (no tester available). since i have no knowledge about this frag, can someone suggest other frags that may resemble the smell of the third man by caron? i got interested in this frag due to many positive reviews, but really have no idea how it smell like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: The Third Man-Caron

I think the best advise to give you on this fragrance is try before you buy. There are many devoted to this fragrance but, it isn't for everyone.

Default Re: The Third Man-Caron

It's a--perhaps the--classic floral fougere. A very elegant fougere structure with a lot of jasmine and a shot of carnation in its heart. If you like fougeres and/or jasmine, it's a pretty safe blind buy, IMO, especially since it's not very spendy. I bought it blind and was delighted with it.

(NT and I posted almost simultaneously and came to diametrically opposite conclusions ;-) )
    Last edited by PhinClio; 15th December 2009 at 02:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's basically pleasant. I found it a bit too sweet, between the jasmine and the amber, and I quickly tired of it, but if you're a fan of the genre, you'd surely like it. You just have to be familiar with your tolerance for floral sweetness.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of anything to compare it to realistically. I have a small bottle.

Turin somehow compares it to Chanel Pour Monsieur, or at least advises you purchase it in lieu of CPM Concentre. I don't quite get that, but I haven't done a good test of original CPM which I think is the comparison he's making.

His metaphorical review of it as "a very pretty boy" is dead on to me. I wouldn't say it's feminine, but I know some women who love it and wear it. Probably close to the perfect
    androgynous scent.

It can be had relatively cheap. Very distinctive.

I'd love to hear what other more savvy BNers think this resembles.

Post Thanks / Like

As a blind buy, it's pretty safe, but only because it's so cheap.

It's a sweet, powdery fougere with floral notes. Definitely unisex. Old fashioned (or "classic" if you like), but very nice. I have it and wear it.

Post Thanks / Like

I adore this on my boyfriend. It's one of the best scents I can think of. It's not too strong, but present. Masculine but not too crazy ( and yes easily worn by women), a bit fresh as well but not aquatic.

I just love LOVE this on guys
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Sounds similar to Stetson, no offense intended to either frag.

I get too much lavender at the beginning & stays around for a while. I too bought my blind, I tried to like it but gave it away. I recommend sampling first. Infact I remember getting no compliments when wearing this....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    It may sound similar, but doesn't smell similar.

Stetson is more floral and spicier (and to my nose, almost more of an oriental in overall character--funny to say about a fragrance with such a 'macho' image).

3rd Man really is a straight-up fougere.

A great scent - Go for it.

So is it a fougere with mostly the "dirty" aspect of jasmine added?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 15th December 2009 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a Great Classic, but I can't recomend anyone buying a frag blindly

Post Thanks / Like

I own this one. It's very good, though I don't wear it often.

Ever smell a classical Victorian-styled masculine scent (e.g. Floris No. 89, C&S No. 88, Hammam Bouquet, etc.)? Third Man is a modernized version of one of those - citrusy, powdery, floral and musky. Almost unisex. It's quite good. Cheap too.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt if it's a safe blind buy because of the lavender/jasmine/spice accord that reads as a bit dated now. I think it's really good stuff, if a bit reedy. It does seem a bit dirty, I suppose, although it has nothing like the indolic jasmine in something like A La Nuit. Although now that I say that with such confidence I'll have to go check.

The juice being sold now is just so watered down. The vintage is rich and satisfying excellence.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post

no offense taken , both are great frags
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 16th December 2009 at 03:43 AM.

This is a great fragrance. Some reviewers compare it to Egoiste by Chanel and although i can smell the resembalance, i like Le troisieme homme better. It's less bitter and the dry down is a little less intense.

Opens pretty sharp with lemon and lavender which can be a litlle overbearing. The drydown is where it's at...i get this great mixture of smoke (musk?) and vanilla. Great classic and timeless scent. Enjoy!
    Knize Ten !

Post Thanks / Like

I would not purchase it blind, unless the above descriptions lead you to believe you will appreciate wearing this scent. To me, it smells fantastic on and my wife really likes it on me, which is a very good thing. For the price, I think this is one of the greatest values.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a true classic as well. I can see the comparisons to Egoiste, and both are very strong powerhouse fragrances. Given the price point, I say "go for it!"

Teddius

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, too, but don´t wear it that often. It´s a wonderful aromatic, fruity fougère with smoky flower accords and a wonderful drydown, created by japanese nose Akiko Kanei (thanks to JaimeB!!).
    It´s a bit on the formal side, though.

Buy it. IF you don't like it, try it again in a week. You will smell it differently, it will affect you differently, after a week passes. So far, I have enjoyed every scent more the second or third time wearing it, regardless of how much I liked it the first time.

I just bought Third Man blind. Still have not opened it; I am trying out Live Jazz and Quorum Silver first. I will be on a break from buying new fragrances for a few months.

I am puzzled by those here, of all places, who fear buying fragrances based on the perfumer/house reputation and the note structure alone. WIth as little experience as I have, I have been able to choose about a dozen fragrances based only on what critics and/or BN members have written, without a single regret. I can only imagine that there must be some whose likes & dislikes are just too self-limiting, and they miss the enjoyment of many of the great fragrances out there.

I can guarantee you it will smell better than a $50 treasury note.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    [...] WIth as little experience as I have, I have been able to choose about a dozen fragrances based only on what critics and/or BN members have written, without a single regret. I can only imagine that there must be some whose likes & dislikes are just too self-limiting, and they miss the enjoyment of many of the great fragrances out there.[...]
    You're probably a very rich guy.

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    You're probably a very rich guy.
    Not really. In fact, I was more rich a few months ago...

(Actually, I buy inexpensive stuff.)

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't dug around looking for it online, but I bought a 30ml bottle of 3rd Man for under $30 in an odd perfume store I stumbled into.

The Carons can often be found in unlikely places- they don't seem to have a very organized distribution network. There's a perfume cart at a mall near me that often has them pretty reasonable priced.

It is a great work of perfumery art, but I can never figure out the right place to wear it. On any given day, it's either too classic, too sweet or too floral for me. Ideally I see it on someone who doesn't have to deal with life's day-to-day hum-drum.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th December 2009 at 02:56 AM.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    Not really. In fact, I was more rich a few months ago...

(Actually, I buy inexpensive stuff.)
    I see, I could be richer too, if only I had a cheaper hobby. I'm glad I'm not compulsive, but it requires some effort.

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    It is a great work of perfumery art, but I can never figure out the right place to wear it. It's either too classic, too sweet or too floral for me on any given day. I see it on someone who doesn't have to deal with life's day-to-day hum-drum.
    Spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a great work of perfumery art, but I can never figure out the right place to wear it. On any given day, it's either too classic, too sweet or too floral for me. Ideally I see it on someone who doesn't have to deal with life's day-to-day hum-drum.
    Kind of puts my thoughts about it into words too. Magnificent frag...but when to wear it?
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th December 2009 at 03:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, that's a fair point.

There are just some days, regardless of temperature or time of year, where the carnation in the heart just overwhelms everything for an hour or two. Other times, it feels too powdery. On the days you wear it, you really have to commit to it in order to make it work. The pretty ones always demand more of us.

But as one of the aforementioned humdrum-dodgers, I love this (Third) Man [Am I in the wrong thread? ].
    Last edited by Emlynevermore; 17th December 2009 at 03:18 AM.

For the people asking when to wear it...I would say that I feel most comfortable wearing it in formal settings. I don't wear a suit and tie to work...just slacks and a shirt tucked in. But some shirts are more dressy than others. And when I know I'm gonna have on my finest threads, Third Man is usually one of the fragrances I consider. I have a sample of Rive Gauche and a fragrance that smells a lot like Egoiste, and I would wear them all for the same occassion. I have Envy, and I would throw envy into that group too. Suit and tie, or your most formal attire...

It's theoretically defined as an aromatic fougère but there are so many things going on in it that you will be surprised about how it shows every facet on the skin: the fruits, the spices, the florals, the green, the amber... you won't regret to have bought it

I wouldn't recommend blind-buying it. Third Man is the sort of scent that might smell nice on others, but didn't work for me. I blind-bought it and tried to like for quite a while before finally swapping it. My girlfriend didn't like it either (she thought it smelled like an 80 year-old woman, lol).

I would say that it smells quite a lot like the drugstore cheapie Santa Fe. If you like Santa Fe, then it would probably be a safe blind-buy.

Buy it! blindly, without hesitation, even if you won't wear it, even if you think is dated...such that beauty should be in any wardrobe

I can't think of anything else that it smells like...I think that's part of its beauty. That jasmine-floral combo is lovely, combined with some light wood and some musk. I guess it's the carnation note that provides that hint of spiciness I get. I think this is one I could wear anytime--especially at work, or on a date--and I do sometimes wear it to the office. That probably makes it more formal than casual.

The picture I get even thinking of this scent is of a poet like Lord Byron or someone; for me, it gives off a poetic, lyrical, idealistic or imaginitive vibe (probably the florals), anchored with a masculine edge--something a romantic poet who fights in wars could wear! For someone who walks with kings yet doesn't lose the common touch, or an aristocratic playboy.
    Last edited by Spicemeister; 17th December 2009 at 02:38 PM.

just got a sample in the mail and i am very impressed. have to say it's much better than yatagan. had no idea it was this good

It is excellent. I imagine it as a floral version of Jazz.

One of my favorite scents.
    I have the vintage and the reformulated juice.
    Both are excellent.
    It shows class.

I bought it blind. One of my best purchases ever...
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---