Code of Conduct

Default Millesime Imperial - SMW Lite?

I finally had a chance to sample MI at Fred Segal. Maybe it's the Ambergris, but I couldn't help but notice the similarity to Silver Mountain Water. No question a pleasant scent, but couldn't justify a purchase since I already own MI's "bigger brother".

Anyone else notice this?

Default Re: Millesime Imperial - SMW Lite?

IMO, they share absolutely nothing but the ambergris in the drydown, and I don't get the ambergris until a couple of hours in.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

How is it SMW lite? Do you get the blackcurrant and teanotes in Imperial?
    -

MI is like all creed Millesime light version....its an aquatic that smell like every other millesime does.....try MI then try erolfa...they smell the exact same to me...except MI has a watermelon note and erolfa has a salty orange note.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    How is it SMW lite? Do you get the blackcurrant and teanotes in Imperial?
    It must be that I'm especially sensitive to Ambergris at the expense of the other notes. I barely get the currant and tea in SMW, it's all eclipsed by that big, buttery whale puke

A lot of the Creeds have a similar scent...that ambergris thing I guess.

But I have both SMW and MI, and they're pretty diverse to me.

I'm actually surprised at the responses here. If we are talking about the drydowns of the millesimes perhaps they smell similar, due in large part to the ambergris, but ambergris is only ONE note, and IMO doesn't dominate any of the fragrances to the point that aren't clearly different. Maybe you aren't smelling fresh bottles, and the topnotes have burned off? All of the millesimes are distinct to me.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

There are some moments after dry down that I am able to discern some similarities.
    But I don't think GIT, MI or SMW smell a lot alike on the whole.

I'm not a very discerning "notes" person, so my guess would be it's the ambergris.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 3rd January 2010 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I'm actually surprised at the responses here. If we are talking about the drydowns of the millesimes perhaps they smell similar, due in large part to the ambergris, but ambergris is only ONE note, and IMO doesn't dominate any of the fragrances to the point that aren't clearly different. Maybe you aren't smelling fresh bottles, and the topnotes have burned off? All of the millesimes are distinct to me.
    I wish, but even at the Nieman counter I get Ambergris overload with the Millesimes. I guess I'm the Princess and the Pea :lol:

Many (all?) Creed Millesime's share an ambergris base. SMW and MI are very different scents though and I would not readily confuse them.

My advice: get two samples and test side by side.

I have several Creeds, and IMO, other than the ambergris note in the drydown, none are similar

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    It must be that I'm especially sensitive to Ambergris at the expense of the other notes. I barely get the currant and tea in SMW, it's all eclipsed by that big, buttery whale puke
    Its more than likely that you tried an older tester of SMW which has the top and heart notes burned off - I had decants of SMW and MI which more or less descended into the ambergris drydown within minutes thus magnifying the resemblance between the two. But the two really are quite distinct scents - the fruity-marine note is upfront in MI and latent in SMW, and the woody blackcurrant accord very present in SMW and totally absent in MI.
    -

It's probably the ambergris base. I don't like the aquatic nature of MI but love the blackcurrant note in SMW, which is why I got it.

I thoroughly enjoy them both but don't really see them as similar. SMW has an intense tea note and also has the blackcurrants. It's more strong and thick, whereas MI is a lot more clean and bright. I got the MI and plan on getting SMW. It's kind of ironic because I never was a fan of aquatics yet I love both of them.

Basenotes Plus

I agree with Seasoldiermarine. Apart from the ambergris base they are easily distinguishable from one another. I'm happy to have both in my wardrobe.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 3rd January 2010 at 04:08 AM.

Both MI & SMW have the same aquatic theme and that is the reason why they
    can smell similar at times. The commonality of Ambergris also gives the impression
    of both smelling similar to each other.

I'm with the others - really hardly anything alike.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    It's probably the ambergris base. I don't like the aquatic nature of MI but love the blackcurrant note in SMW, which is why I got it.
    I don't doubt that you smell what you smelled, because many mention the aquatic nature of MI. But that's another thing that I need to mention my disparaging opinion on. I really don't see MI as that much of an aquatic, I find SMW and of course Erolfa far more aquatic in nature than MI. SMW comes off to me as, pretty darn close to the name, flowers resting in a partly frozen over brook, while MI is a shimmering citrus fragrance to me.

I've actually gone to the San Francisco Neiman Marcus and sampled their Millesime Imperial to find it has gone a little stale and smells a bit foul to be honest. Checking the serial number on the tester reveals it was a sample from 2005. The closed boxes behind the sample either had no date, or I found one which was stamped 2004. Millesime Imperial DEFINITELY smells better than the tester at this particular Neiman on this particular day (was sampled on 1/3/10 evening).

I'd say more but I don't want to threadjack.

Last edited by Maz24; 8th January 2010 at 03:21 PM.

StylinLA you are right on the money!

To my nose, SMW and MI couldn't be more different apart from the distinctive Creed drydown note. SMW is airy, sweet, and just a bit fruity with a dash of spice. MI is lemony fresh over amber.
    Current Wardrobe (in no particular odor, HAHA!):

Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Silver Mountain Water, Creed Himalaya, Creed Tabarome, Aramis Havana, Bond No.9 Central Park, Trussardi Inside, Fahrenheit Absolute, Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme, Guerlain L'Instant Homme, David Beckham Signature, Cartier Declaration Essence, Azzaro Visit, Azzaro Silver-Black, Azzaro Pure Vetiver, Dunhill X-Centric, Perry Ellis Reserve, Armani Attitude, Armani Mania, Bvlgari Aqva, Jacomo Paradox Green, Canali Summer Night, Kouros Cologne Sport, Realm Men, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine, St. Patrick, Cuba (Red, Green, Gold, Black, Grey, Brown, Maya), Opium Pour Homme EDP, Banana Republic Cordovan, Amouage Epic Man, J. Peterman 1902, Bogart City Tower.

I will have to disagree with the majority. Of course I can distinguish the two, they obviously are not identical. But I have no need to own both. For me, the ambegris note is what makes these scents what they are, it's very much the spine of both.

Hopefully, I get some responses...

...how many of those who find these very similar are tobacco smokers?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

I don't smoke, but I do find the Ambergris note eclipses the other ingredients in both fragrances. As a result they smell similar to each other, IMHO.
    Last edited by adonis; 9th January 2010 at 01:30 AM.

I remember the first time I smelled Unforgivable... I was a fragrance noobie who had never smelled Millesime Imperial, so I thought, "this smells like Silver Mountain Water!" So I can definitely see where you're coming from. I do find them to be very, very different fragrances now that I've worn both separately on numerous occasions. They definitely share identical bases, but otherwise each has its own very unique character.

PS. The Creed testers in my city have all gone bad. It's really a shame and quite an embarassment. I tried Silver Mountain Water the other day froma tester and it smelled stale and nasty.

I am not a smoker, or a newbie. I also think Unforgivable is very different from Millessime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water in the base. I'm with adonis on this one.

This discussion is getting kind of annoying. I would never imply that someone who things they are as different as scents can be are either new to scents or their nose is compromised.

They are really different. The only thing in common is the house note(s).

SMW is ink-y, black currant and tea. If i have to give this a colour, it would be dark blue and white.
    MI is watermelon-y. The colour in my head when i smell this one is yellow :P (and unforgivable too)
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post

I smoke tobacco, and the two are nothing alike.

But the other responses are bothering me.
    Where the heck is the aquatic note that people are so easily spotting in these two?
    Neither are particularly aquatic to me. Erolfa is the aquatic Creed.
    Renato