Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Default Article: La Forêt Enchantée (The Enchanted Forest)

Another interesting brief, and I am very intrigued by the black walnut accord (I don't think I have ever smelled black walnut). The name you have chosen is superb.

Blog Entries

The accord is really interesting - it's very citrus-like, but off in a weird way. I couldn't place my finger on it. I knew it was in some food, but that was it. Well, at some point later I smelled pure cardamom seed, and I was blown away. I spent 5 minutes pacing in the kitchen trying to remember what it smelled like. Then - BAM - I remembered where I had smelled it.

Now I would assume that real black walnut juice can't be used, unless possibly after a lot of treatment to remove the nasty allergen. But perhaps there is already a well-known substitute accord. The cardamom note is easy, and the most distinctive one. It's getting the citrus right that's crucial to finishing the job.

A little secret about the name. The first time I heard a man say "enchantée" upon introduction to a lady? I felt like the French language had been created just for that moment! And forest is a comfort word for me, because I love them so much. It pretty much had to happen.

Again, thanks for saying that! I'm really glad you like the name!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

This sounds like something I would like to smell-- if I saw this in a store, I would reach for it right away to test it. The name makes me think of the forest of Fangorn in the Lord of the Rings, where the trees came alive (the Ents).

Blog Entries

The name makes me think of the forest of Fangorn in the Lord of the Rings, where the trees came alive (the Ents).
    One of my favorite parts of the story! Oh, yeah!

This scent actually reminds me of a book I read as a young lad-The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton! With this brief Redneck I can smell green, earthy treesap and light green-hued leaves.Sounds fantastic to be honest.

I like the earthiness and natural wildness of this - especially the inclusion of mineral accords to suggest rock and stone. I missed the deadline on submitting a brief but the concept I had also included stone notes. I'd be really like to smell this one.

Blog Entries

Thanks, Aerandir and selky! I am on a bit of a green kick lately, and I guess it shows.

The mineral accord is a bit of admiration for Terre d'Hermès, which is a favorite of mine. When Jean-Claude Ellena said that it was the mineral/flint accord which was the secret of that one, I finally understood why its cedar was so appealing to me. I could smell what seemed like dry desert air behind it, and that was it - I had been interpreting it as a strange dryness of the cedar, but was then able to see it as something which was subconciously appealing to my love of many rocky, sandy, dry places. Here, I am actually thinking of a new challenge - the rock of moister forests. I am not sure how this might work out, not being a perfumer, but I think it's a wonderful challenge. As Ellena's work with Terre d'Hermès shows, or his non-calone aquatic Un Jardin après la Mousson, or each of Céline's fragrances, it is (to my mind) small but important victories in the perfumer's hands that are reflected in greatness of final fragrances. A note here, an accord there, or a new component used in a new way, or new combination, that allows new excitement. Therefore, I think it's very reassuring that many of the submitted briefs offer small but potentially very interesting aspects, which - if successfully achieved by the perfumer, and surrounded with other good things, might set our Basenotes fragrances apart from things already out there. Looking through other people's briefs, I found that even the shortest had excellent "hooks" that a perfumer could grab as points of reference and go to work. All in all, very exciting!
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 14th January 2010 at 03:37 AM. Reason: plurals

This one's got me thinking of a fine Chablis, with its flinty character. My personal experience with La Forêt Enchantée will have me hiking through France's Massif Central. An evocative and excellent brief!

This reminds me of the better Hermes products. Great job on keeping this one outside of the box as well. Sometimes, it is extremely difficult to discern one fragrance from another because many have common notes. Some are just more expensive than others. This sounds like a sweet, woodsy fragrance and also reminds me of some of my favorite smells in the country. I can also very easily see a celebrity wearing and endorsing this fragrance. Someone who has Country roots, but is also very sophisticated and well distinguished. Excellent direction on this one. It sounds like a stand-out fragrance, one that will rise above others.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: La Forêt Enchantée (The Enchanted Forest)

Thanks, Ruggles and hmedlock! Yes, hmedlock, you pegged me as an Hermès fan, and a big one at that! Well, if we don't do it, and somebody at Hermès did, I would be quite giddy with delight. A green flanker to TdH? I swoon at the very thought! Actually, I think Ruggles has the idea. Even though it was inspired by a forest I know, I think that a French setting with a handsome young European couple hiking into the mysterious forest - perchance to find love's apple on the way to adventure? - would be the ideal image. Certainly better than a trio of middle-aged scientists looking for some good climbing in Appalachia, dressed like an Everest basecamp yard sale and calling each other "dude"! But if done under the English name, then I see your point, hmedlock - totally. Imagine... Keith Urban (are you [wo]men fainting yet?) walks into the forest and encounters a certain lovely lady - this time dressed in white - with a mysterious apple.... Oh, if only our dreams had the budget of Chanel!

Oh, I want this one!

"It can optionally include a subdued chypre effect between the black walnut fruit and the oakmoss, which can be enhanced by labdanum or beeswax as needed" YEEESSS

Easy on the pine though...

Can't wait!

genius.
    do you make perfumes (yet)?