Code of Conduct

Default Spring scent recommendation

Hi everyone,

I want sth green but not sharp, maybe a little soft floral, sth that reminds you of a green field with those tiny flowers. Not heavy but still noticeable & has lasting power (I have Miller et Bertaux no.3, love it but it fades quickly on me). If possible, not too feminine, unisex would be great (just a bonus though)

TIA

Default Re: Spring scent recommendation

To me the scent you describe, first buds of spring, is perfectly captured in Balmain de Balmain, a soft green woody floral, and though not marketed unisex, lots of guys including myself seem to love wearing it as well. Cheap to boot!
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Blog Entries

Guerlain - Sous Les Vent may be what you want. It's a really wonderful old-world chypre. But it's $$$. For a cheaper thrill, try Balmain Ivoire.

2nd Ivoire de Balmain, and adding another Balmain, the divinely green Vent Vert, one of my favourites. Like standing in a grassy field on a warm sunny day.

Also 2nd-ing Guerlain Sous le Vent...I've only sampled it but want it baaadly.

Parfum de Nicolai Le Temps d'une Fete is crisp green floral, almost chewy, if that makes any sense.

Chanel Exclusif Bel Respiro is a simple and fresh green, quite lovely also.

Divine l'Infante is a green ivy floral, gorgeous, one of my faves.

Annick Goutal Eau de Camille is another beautiful ivy green, albeit short lived on me

Hampton Privet Bloom in edt is a crisp breezy green (the edp is suffocatingly synthetic imho...apologies to any fans)

All of the above make fab unisex scents.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

Carven's Ma Griffe is a soft green floral. It's clean and soapy, very distinctive and definitely unisex. The vintage is best but I understand the current formulation is very nice.

Top notes - aldehydes, gardenia, galbanum, clary sage, bergamot
    Middle notes - iris, orange blossom, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, rose
    Base notes - labdanum, sandalwood, cinnamon, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vetiver, styrax

I'd also suggest Gianfranco Ferre, by Gianfranco Ferre (the first one, from 1984. The bottle has a faceted crystal hanging from a black cord around its neck.) It has one of the nicest honeysuckle notes I know. It's soft and green and very elegant.

Top notes - coriander, tuberose, orange blossom, jasmine, hiacynth, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, bergamot
    Middle notes - honeysuckle, carnation, mandarin orange, orchid, orris root, orange blossom, rose, narcissus
    Base notes - sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, civet, cedar

And Infini by Caron - a sultry green floral with a creamy, or milky, feel to it. I think it's posh and unique and it's my favorite Caron. Again, I know and love the vintage but the current formulation should be worth a sniff.

Top notes - bergamot, peach, neroli, coriander
    Middle notes - rose, orris, ylang-ylang, carnation
    Base notes - sandal, vetiver, tonka, musk
    Last edited by Evangeline; 9th January 2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3xasif View Post
    Chanel Exclusif Bel Respiro is a simple and fresh green, quite lovely also.
    I can't comment on the smell as I haven't received my decant yet, but from what I do hear it has a nice unisex quality to it (and Luca Turin notes it would smell fantastic on a guy!) Can't wait to try it!

Bel Respiro is a perfect rec...and if you want to conserve the $$$, give A Scent by Issey Miyake a try. I was recently gifted with a sample (thanks Rugs! ) and was very pleasantly suprised about it's likeability! Easy wearing, unisex, nice sillage & longevity. I think you can get a bottle for about $65. - a bargain these days!

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Carven's Ma Griffe is a soft green floral. It's clean and soapy, very distinctive and definitely unisex. The vintage is best but I understand the current formulation is very nice.

Top notes - aldehydes, gardenia, galbanum, clary sage, bergamot
    Middle notes - iris, orange blossom, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley, rose
    Base notes - labdanum, sandalwood, cinnamon, musk, benzoin, oakmoss, vetiver, styrax
    Oh yes, 2nd Ma Griffe

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Bel Respiro is a perfect rec...and if you want to conserve the $$$, give A Scent by Issey Miyake a try. I was recently gifted with a sample (thanks Rugs! ) and was very pleasantly suprised about it's likeability! Easy wearing, unisex, nice sillage & longevity. I think you can get a bottle for about $65. - a bargain these days!
    A Scent by Issey Miyake is perfect!

Adding Chanel Cristalle- fresh and green. Unisex for sure.
    beauty guru & perfume whisperer
    dalybeauty.ca
    twitter @daly_beauty

I will give another thumbs up to Eau de Camille by Annick Goutal. Ivy, Honeysuckle and syringa, what could be better
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

YSL's Paris. Very flowery and rosy! I use the EDT.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Fantastic recommendations. Consider also, if you will, Guy Laroche's Fidji.

Adding to the excellent recommendations...

Nicolai Le Temps d'une Fete
    Chanel No.19
    Estee Lauder Private Collection

I just bought a bottle of Cote Bastide's Tilleul and am absolutely in love with it. It's marketed as unisex, but it tends toward the feminine ,imo.
    Last edited by greyhoundgirl; 10th January 2010 at 11:51 PM.

Thank everyone for so many great recs

Do you guys have sth more to add to the list? I'll order all samples this weekend.

L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillons is very springlike to my nose, however, it's quite femine.
    I've heard that Ormande Jayne Tiare is very springlike
    +1 for my favorite Chanel No.19

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Just reading the names of all these green florals makes my spirit soar.

Welcome, Aza! I'm sorry I didn't dig into this thread until Monday, presumably after you placed your sample order, but you have been exceedingly well served by my brilliant colleagues.

I tried to think of additions, and Laila, Bluebell and L’Ombre dans L’eau came to mind, but none of these fits your criteria with precision. Hope you’ll report back on your search and your experiences.

Welcome to Greyhoundgirl, too!

Shiseido Relaxing is a green botanical fragrance, not too floral or too sharp. If you like lily of the valley, Diorissimo is another one worth checking out.