Code of Conduct

Default Unwanted negative associations and how they ruined a fragrance for me.

Has anyone ever had this happen... you love a fragrance, then at some point your hear or read an association that someone else has with that scent - and the scent is forever ruined for you. Two examples. I used to love Santos Concentree by Cartier... until a read a review where someone said it smells like salami or a similar deli- meat. Now everytime I use Santos - that's what I get- salami meat. Grrr! Another one, I, until very recently adored By Kilian's Back to Black... until I read a review where someone said it actually smelled like a freshly-washed ferret. Now everytime I use Back to Black, I smell ferret. Another, Grrr!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Unwanted negative associations and how they ruined a fragrance for me.

I feel bad for you. Maybe you should avoid reading negative reviews on your favorite scents...

But has this happened to me? Perhaps in the past when I was more susceptible to 'suggestions'. Now I've learnt to trust my nose and my 'tastes', at least well enough to read/hear similarly negative comments about my favorite fragrances and have a good chuckle... The latest was when someone suggested that Rose 31 smells like rose + armpits. LOL.

Default Re: Unwanted negative associations and how they ruined a fragrance for me.

Not at all, in the case I get som odd-smelling notes, I just have wait in order to see how it evolves.

Did that writer actually know what a freshly washed ferret smells like?

It can't be that different from a freshly washed wombat. Perhaps this new association I've suggested will make things better.

Keep in mind that there's a whole bunch of people here who on reading reviews of Kouros believe and post the mutually exclusive view that it smells like urine and urinal cakes - at the same time. And that just cannot be.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th January 2010 at 03:17 PM.

No, I agree. Most associations I can laugh off. But once in a while the association has a strong basis. e.g. the urinal cake smell of Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

It can't be that different from a freshly washed wombat. Perhaps this new association I've suggested will make things better.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Thanks for the 'therapy' Renato. It is appreciated.

our body chemistries are all different and so we concentrate on different notes when smelling. God only knows though how some of the weird descriptions people ascribe to some scents come from.

I had my cousin describe Creed's Angelique Encens as having a fecal note to which I pick up now every time I smell it, however its so good I ignore this minor inconvenience for the most part.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

I can truly sympathize with this situation, since some of my fave frags did not get dissed or booed, but, maybe even worse, I happened to wear them in saddening, even traumatic circumstances (where misfortune struck when I least expected, I didn't know from the very start how sad these occasions would turn out to be- this is maybe the price of wearing frags to often and not keeping... your fragrance boxes closed and your bottles unsprayed, when you should show fragrance-related moderation/fragrance abstinence), so now I can only wear some of my fave frags which I associate with unhappy experiences- these frags including names like Antaeus, Knize Ten, Eau Sauvage and Ungaro III- only at the expense of nearly superhuman efforts. Yet, on the brighter side, I discovered that "shock therapy" might work in my case, because, the more I face my fears and wear this frags more often, the less traumatic the memories about them are, since the unpleasant situations gradually fade into a background of my memory, while the pleasant or at least the neutral memories slowly start to prevail...
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 9th January 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Sorry to hear about your experiences Neal. It may take some concerted effort on your part, but in the same way that you now focus on the alleged negative aspect of a fragrance, you should be able to change the emphasis back again. I had a similar experience a while back, and taking a break from certain fragrances for a while does pay dividends. After a month or so, you may well be able to enjoy the tarnished fragrance in the way you originally perceived it.

I hope your love returns soon
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 9th January 2010 at 04:39 PM.

Evangeline started a great thread on the other side called The Kiss of Death where one particularly deadly description was "butter and farts". Go check it out for more wonderful examples.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Sorry you feel that way, Neal.

I wouldn't read negative reviews if I were you, or your wardrobe will dwindle down to nothing!

Personally, I love the negative reviews with denigrating comments (a la Turin), they make great reading. Butter and farts is hilarious!

Well, having bought Green Irish Tweed at first the Cool Water-reference wasn't pleasant. Then I could get it out my head. I made some comparisons...no more problem for me. Salami, however, would be a different thing...

Keep in mind that there's a whole bunch of people here who on reading reviews of Kouros believe and post the mutually exclusive view that it smells like urine and urinal cakes - at the same time. And that just cannot be.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Sure it can.
    It's just that Kouros only smells like urinal Cakes, toilet mints, whatever someone wants to call them.
    Actually, we should call them urinal cakes for Kouros, and the more aloof "Toilet mints" for Orange Spice

I was on the fence about Himalaya, girls kept getting gasoline, and they were right.

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Evangeline started a great thread on the other side called The Kiss of Death where one particularly deadly description was "butter and farts". Go check it out for more wonderful examples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    About a month ago I had been greatly enjoying one of my new favorite fruity florientals (one that seems to be very well-liked around here, too) when something happened that might have ruined it for me forever. To my horror, my fiance asked me if I was congested b/c he thought I had just applied Vicks Vap-O-Rub..."a big gob of it" is how he phrased it. Even more to my horror he was right - there it was, a note that smelled exactly like mentholatum. And the thought persisted along with the note until I was forced to scrub it off about 20 minutes later. Rats! I figured I'd put it away and retry it later, and I did that a few minutes ago but it's still a no-go. I don't see ever wearing this one again. I will go scrub again once I'm done with this post...sigh.

I'm usually not quite that suggestible, especially when I really like a fragrance, but that comment somehow just did me in. And one other one - I recently read on another board that someone was told her perfume smelled like "butter and farts." Oh no! Before I read that I was very eager to try the fragrance in question, but I immediately crossed it off my list. I'm pretty sure a "fart" note will always be a deal breaker for me - I can't unring that smelly bell.

I hesitate to mention the names of these two scents because I wouldn't want to put anyone else off of them for all eternity (although it would be interesting to hear your guesses based on those unappealing clues!) I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else.

Evangeline hits the neal (nail) on the head... I can't unring that salami/washed ferret bell.

I've read that Miel de Bois smells like urine-soaked overalls, and yes it does. I still love it!
    And reading Tania's comment on Nuit Noire as being a "loud civet fart" made me want to try it even more! Heck I have a bottle now!
    Last edited by scent; 10th January 2010 at 12:34 AM.

For me a fragrance is what I make of it, some of my fragrances received such terrible reviews but that doesn't deter me. If I like it so be it, screw everyone else LOL

Has happened. I admit I am extremely high-strung when it comes to perfumes. Shouldn`t be that way, but that`s the way it is and that`s the way I am in person..

This is why I rarely read any reviews at all anymore (there are only few people in the world who`s opinion I am interested in) and I have completely stopped reading bloq`s such as Perfume Smellin` Things.
    Also, my ignore list at the Basenotes is getting more and more massive evrytime I visit here.

LOL nice AV / post combo PigeonMurderer

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Has happened. I admit I am extremely high-strung when it comes to perfumes. Shouldn`t be that way, but that`s the way it is and that`s the way I am in person..

This is why I rarely read any reviews at all anymore (there are only few people in the world who`s opinion I am interested in) and I have completely stopped reading bloq`s such as Perfume Smellin` Things.
    Also, my ignore list at the Basenotes is getting more and more massive evrytime I visit here.
    I admit it is easier not to read perfume blogs at times !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

One of my favorite Serge Lutens, Serge Noire was described in one of these blogs as "a lumberjack smeared with Vicks Vaporub"...!
    I actually found it hilarious and everytime I wear Serge Noire I think of this weird lumberjack and smile to myself. Didn't hurt my love for the scent one bit...

The description of a "glue note" in Creed Silver Mountain Water has just about spoiled it for me.

Oh yeah leave me and my Anvers alone! I'm not trying to cover up anything! lol

Salami? All I can really say is that some people have very vivid imaginations, and I'll give them credit for that

No, it has not happened to me.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Someone calling Terre d' Hermes ˝Turd d'Hermes˝ ain't gonna make me stop liking it. If you like something and have an opinion about it, stick to it and defend it. Build up some character god dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    The description of a "glue note" in Creed Silver Mountain Water has just about spoiled it for me.
    I love the smell of glue - all glues.
    There is no glue note in SMW that I can detect - else I'd like it even more than I do.
    Renato

I've had a few destroyed by bad associations with people or places. For instance, I once had a very bad boss in a worse job absolutely bathe in Polo - and to this day I can't be around the stuff.

My experience from negative review was about Unforgivable that smells like cocacola and cheap drugstore deo, well it took 1 month and I couldn't find any cocacola in it anymore.
    On the other way I have some good associations with Ultraviolet every time i wear it. It was a crazy spring weekend by the sea when I was first time wearing this new cologne...

This can happen for sure. I had one, not necessarily ruining it, but just changing my perception. Someone mentioned that Ambre Narguile smelled like stewed fruit. It was just not how I thought about it, but I do see what they meant.
    Someone else told me that TFTV smelled like old bananas... that one I'm not so sure about.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I got a sample of Dior Homme. Put some on and began reading reviews to help identify the notes. What I read was Lip stick and make up. They're right. Not sure how they dissolved the lip stick into a clear liquid, but I can't wear this one any more.
    "Rock 'n Roll: The most brutal, ugly, desperate, vicious form of expression it has been my misfortune to hear."
    Frank Sinatra (The Misguided).

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead (The Enlightened).

Negative associations have never stopped me from using any fragrance in my collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Someone calling Terre d' Hermes ˝Turd d'Hermes˝ ain't gonna make me stop liking it. If you like something and have an opinion about it, stick to it and defend it. Build up some character god dammit!
    Someone asked me if I was wearing Drakkar when I first bout this. I still wear it occasionally but always think of that
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I was in Sephora last week and an assistant was mentioning to me how she really liked Bulgari Black. I told her to me it smelled like rubber from a car tire. She sprayed some on a strip, smelled it, and then said "You are right....thanks for ruining it for me."

I told her it might have something to do with the power of suggestion since I had heard the same thing before I had sampled it. If we tell our minds to look for something it might be easier for us to find it.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Has anyone ever had this happen...
    No.

Try putting some wanted positive associations with it and focus on that instead of the negatives.

Yes. A basenotes review mentions a butter note i vetiver babylone and sure thing, after that there's a butter note in there. But, it doesn't bother me much, I think it's helpful. Most of the time, I don't find negative associations/notes that other people find.

Neal, I'm sorry to say this but... you're weak...

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post

Well, can you read this? Hmm?

I love the smell of glue - all glues.
    Aww, me too! Plastic or brown paper bag? [sniff, sniff...]

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    I was in Sephora last week and an assistant was mentioning to me how she really liked Bulgari Black. I told her to me it smelled like rubber from a car tire. She sprayed some on a strip, smelled it, and then said "You are right....thanks for ruining it for me."
    You should have given her your number for 'counselling sessions'...

Golly, it does happen every once in a while but you have to focus on why you liked the fragrance in the first place. Learn not to be so easily swayed and such negative remarks will be like water off a duck's back. Be strong and remain proud of your smellies!

Peace.
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th February 2012 at 11:15 PM.

I had a bottle of Tom Fords Oud Wood and I read somewhere that it had a note within it that smelled like latex. After that I could not stop smelling that note within the scent and had to sell it.

I never pay attention to associations. Everyone has an opinion on everything. I have heard all sorts of things from people and negative reviews and I never let them be the deciding factor for anything I pick. There might be some valid points but just take it all in and outweigh the factors.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    I told her to me it smelled like rubber from a car tire. She sprayed some on a strip, smelled it, and then said "You are right....thanks for ruining it for me."
    When I first bought Bvlgari Black I thought it was really good - that strong smell of rubber meshed in nicely with the black rubber around the bottle.

Then some one said it smelled like tea. This ruined it for me as from then on it smelled more like tea than rubber to me.
    Regards,
    Renato

So I'm curious... For those whose lives have been ruined by realizing that a fragrance smelled like, salami, ferrets, glue, latex, or whatever - why? I can understand being uncomfortable with a smell you've realized was "butter and farts", but these other descriptions don't seem inherently off-putting to me. (For example, CdG won't shut up about how much their new EDP smells like glue and packing tape.)

Maybe I'm just weird, but if I discovered that a favorite fragrance smelled like salami, I think that would just make me treasure it all the more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    I never pay attention to associations. Everyone has an opinion on everything. I have heard all sorts of things from people and negative reviews and I never let them be the deciding factor for anything I pick. There might be some valid points but just take it all in and outweigh the factors.
    I agree with this, associations are rarely valid. The issue is that associations can completely mask what's really there, kind of like seeing a rope on the ground and thinking it's a snake. While you think it's a snake you don't notice all the clues that it is not a snake, your brain made the association and it's real to you. So when you are affected by associations, you are not capable of objective perception. So I see associations as a challenge to get past, like with a frag a reviewer perceives as "nothing but baby powder" (we've all heard that many times I'm sure), the reviewer could look up the note pyramid and identify notes, it might take obtaining samples of the pure ingredient if the person is unfamiliar with it. In this way you can go from perceiving a frag as "nothing but baby powder" to perceiving it as the perfumer who created it likely intended. So because of this, I mostly disregard negative reviews that claim associations as a basis for the negative rating.

There's no glue note in SMW.

I stopped wearing Pure Havane for a couple months becuase I read that it smelled "girly." Then I came back to it recently, and it doesn't smell girly at all, it smells good. That's when I learned my lesson, and learned to trust my own nose.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

i really kind of liked tom ford noir de noir, but there was something off about it too. Then I read a review suggesting sweaty feet and wet dogs and it was an immediate no go and I had to scrub it off right then and there. I have gone back to it a few times since and I smell the same thing. I believe it might be the truffle action in the top/middle phase now. kind of a shame really, but now that I get that connection, I really can't wear it again, it was ruined.

I can sometimes force myself to smell unpleasant notes that talked about, but if i like the scent they dont ruin it for me ever.
    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892