Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Unwanted negative associations and how they ruined a fragrance for me.

Negative associations have never stopped me from using any fragrance in my collection.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Unwanted negative associations and how they ruined a fragrance for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Someone calling Terre d' Hermes ˝Turd d'Hermes˝ ain't gonna make me stop liking it. If you like something and have an opinion about it, stick to it and defend it. Build up some character god dammit!
    Someone asked me if I was wearing Drakkar when I first bout this. I still wear it occasionally but always think of that
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

I was in Sephora last week and an assistant was mentioning to me how she really liked Bulgari Black. I told her to me it smelled like rubber from a car tire. She sprayed some on a strip, smelled it, and then said "You are right....thanks for ruining it for me."

I told her it might have something to do with the power of suggestion since I had heard the same thing before I had sampled it. If we tell our minds to look for something it might be easier for us to find it.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress / Venetian Bergamot / Amber Absolute HERE Selling Bruckner Aoud 1 with box HERE

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Has anyone ever had this happen...
    No.

Try putting some wanted positive associations with it and focus on that instead of the negatives.

Yes. A basenotes review mentions a butter note i vetiver babylone and sure thing, after that there's a butter note in there. But, it doesn't bother me much, I think it's helpful. Most of the time, I don't find negative associations/notes that other people find.

Neal, I'm sorry to say this but... you're weak...

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer View Post
    Has happened. I admit I am extremely high-strung when it comes to perfumes. Shouldn`t be that way, but that`s the way it is and that`s the way I am in person..

This is why I rarely read any reviews at all anymore (there are only few people in the world who`s opinion I am interested in) and I have completely stopped reading bloq`s such as Perfume Smellin` Things.
    Also, my ignore list at the Basenotes is getting more and more massive evrytime I visit here.
    Well, can you read this? Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I love the smell of glue - all glues.
    Aww, me too! Plastic or brown paper bag? [sniff, sniff...]

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    I was in Sephora last week and an assistant was mentioning to me how she really liked Bulgari Black. I told her to me it smelled like rubber from a car tire. She sprayed some on a strip, smelled it, and then said "You are right....thanks for ruining it for me."
    You should have given her your number for 'counselling sessions'...

Golly, it does happen every once in a while but you have to focus on why you liked the fragrance in the first place. Learn not to be so easily swayed and such negative remarks will be like water off a duck's back. Be strong and remain proud of your smellies!

Peace.
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th February 2012 at 10:15 PM.

I had a bottle of Tom Fords Oud Wood and I read somewhere that it had a note within it that smelled like latex. After that I could not stop smelling that note within the scent and had to sell it.

I never pay attention to associations. Everyone has an opinion on everything. I have heard all sorts of things from people and negative reviews and I never let them be the deciding factor for anything I pick. There might be some valid points but just take it all in and outweigh the factors.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    I told her to me it smelled like rubber from a car tire. She sprayed some on a strip, smelled it, and then said "You are right....thanks for ruining it for me."
    When I first bought Bvlgari Black I thought it was really good - that strong smell of rubber meshed in nicely with the black rubber around the bottle.

Then some one said it smelled like tea. This ruined it for me as from then on it smelled more like tea than rubber to me.
    Regards,
    Renato

So I'm curious... For those whose lives have been ruined by realizing that a fragrance smelled like, salami, ferrets, glue, latex, or whatever - why? I can understand being uncomfortable with a smell you've realized was "butter and farts", but these other descriptions don't seem inherently off-putting to me. (For example, CdG won't shut up about how much their new EDP smells like glue and packing tape.)

Maybe I'm just weird, but if I discovered that a favorite fragrance smelled like salami, I think that would just make me treasure it all the more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ih8buffering View Post
    I never pay attention to associations. Everyone has an opinion on everything. I have heard all sorts of things from people and negative reviews and I never let them be the deciding factor for anything I pick. There might be some valid points but just take it all in and outweigh the factors.
    I agree with this, associations are rarely valid. The issue is that associations can completely mask what's really there, kind of like seeing a rope on the ground and thinking it's a snake. While you think it's a snake you don't notice all the clues that it is not a snake, your brain made the association and it's real to you. So when you are affected by associations, you are not capable of objective perception. So I see associations as a challenge to get past, like with a frag a reviewer perceives as "nothing but baby powder" (we've all heard that many times I'm sure), the reviewer could look up the note pyramid and identify notes, it might take obtaining samples of the pure ingredient if the person is unfamiliar with it. In this way you can go from perceiving a frag as "nothing but baby powder" to perceiving it as the perfumer who created it likely intended. So because of this, I mostly disregard negative reviews that claim associations as a basis for the negative rating.

There's no glue note in SMW.

I stopped wearing Pure Havane for a couple months becuase I read that it smelled "girly." Then I came back to it recently, and it doesn't smell girly at all, it smells good. That's when I learned my lesson, and learned to trust my own nose.

D to the E to the N to the V to the E to the R
    Blog Entries

i really kind of liked tom ford noir de noir, but there was something off about it too. Then I read a review suggesting sweaty feet and wet dogs and it was an immediate no go and I had to scrub it off right then and there. I have gone back to it a few times since and I smell the same thing. I believe it might be the truffle action in the top/middle phase now. kind of a shame really, but now that I get that connection, I really can't wear it again, it was ruined.

I can sometimes force myself to smell unpleasant notes that talked about, but if i like the scent they dont ruin it for me ever.
    Want to trade - Chanel Platinum Egoiste for Dior Eau Sauvage...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582