Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Epic, epic longevity

This stuff is amazing. Yesterday 4pm: 2 sprays on my forearm. Then I went spinning for an hour, followed by a shower. Today to the gym. A shower again. Sauna session in the evening. Three showers and, 26hours (and 5 showers) after spraying, I can still smell it!

By the way. What are your reviews of this marvel. There still nothing about it on the BN directory! I get a very distinct sour note right from the start to the drydown. Does anyone know what it is?
    Last edited by Ender; 10th January 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: Amouage Epic, epic longevity

thats kinda hard to believe to me

i mean after 3 showers still there? thats not even a good look in my eyes

I need to revisit Epic Man - my first impressions were really inconclusive, except for the fact that I agree with you on the longevity. It's extremely tenacious.

I could see Epic Woman not being so tenacious... and as a pepper/incense/woody rose scent, I guess I'm not sold on it.

I cant even get a fragrance to last 4 hours on me never mind 3 showers. I envy you

It does last a long time on me, but your experience borders on the freakish!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 11th January 2010 at 05:00 AM.

3 showers on a forearm?
    Maybe some juice happen to stick on a sleeve?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Nope. I already thought of that myself. Changed my close after applying! I must say, that I'm somewhat irritated by some posts. I couldn't believe the tenacity of this stuff myself, but are you really suggesting, that I would not be telling the truth. I mean, what would be the point of lying on this subject?
    Last edited by Ender; 11th January 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Hey I believe you and could see it happening - it all depends on a lot of factors (how one showers, scented shower gel/soaps, etc.) You said 26 hours - that's not odd. I remember people claiming to get 48 hrs + from Black Aoud.

If I do two "point blank" sprays of many of my fragrances I'll smell them the next day in the shower (24 hours later).

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Nope. I already thought of that myself. Changed my close after applying! I must say, that I'm somewhat irritated by some posts. I couldn't believe the tenacity of this stuff myself, but are you really suggesting, that I would not be telling the truth. I mean, what would be the point of lying on this subject?

It's epic longevity is the one thing that turns me off to this frag, tbh.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

epic man and longevity just don't go together for me! I get 2 hours if I'm lucky.

I got my Epic (men) sample yesterday,and I have to say I really like it. Itīs close to Jubilation, though with a leathery note added.
    Longevity wise itīs also way better than Jubilation imo. Itīs close to the skin,but longevity is really good, I have to agree. Me likes!

I also have a sample of the womens. I havenīt figured out yet if I will test it on wifey or on myself. Not sure if itīs too feminine.
    Last edited by eric; 12th January 2010 at 10:45 AM.

I remember liking the womens version a lot more-maybe I should revisit this one!
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Sur la Plage

I will have to sample this one Rex. IMO, epic longevity = a very good thing.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hey rex,
    relax, just joking.
    I`m not suggesting you are lying about anything here.

More seriously.
    It`s really great longevity effect, and I wish you like every second of wearing Epic Man.
    Even more - I wish you`ll never experience that your lovely perfume seems to lack of longevity, and your nose will never get tired of it.

To my experience, if you`d allow me.
    Some new and previously unknown perfumes on me did show extraordinary lifetime.
    I smelled them for a 24-48 hours. Showers included. First idea was - they are new to me. And when I`d get used to them - effect will disappear.
    Noway.
    Tuberose perfumes are to live and to be smelled forever on me.
    Then I found that there`re some perfume ingredients with effective lifetime about 200 hours!!! So - physics is OK.
    While I`m still undecided about the chemistry of the process. Why they remained on one`s skin after showers? Maybe they are just the same as in shower gel\soap? No jokes, just thoughts to find the truth.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

What strikes me the most is the uniqueness of this drydown. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced. Most drydowns are based on amber and musk. I can't stand the first (the noble exception being green irish tweed with it's wonderful floral ambroxane) and don't care too much about the latter (the exception here is vetiver extraordinaire). So mostly scents tend to loose their appeal to me with time. This one is a exception; it actually gets better with time altough it's rather linear in its developpement. There is a very pungent but fascinating sour note right from the start to the finish. I wish I knew what it is.

I actually tried Jubilation recently and have reflection and dia coming iA, I was really not impressed with Jubilation mainly I believe because I am middle eastern and I have smelled better combinations with a similar theme before from random oils

I will need to try epic though, I love frags with epic longevity
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I was really not impressed with Jubilation mainly I believe because I am middle eastern and I have smelled better combinations with a similar theme before from random oils
    I would love if you could let me know which ones those are!! Would love to try them somehow.

I have sampled all Amouages except Gold which I would never wear or even sample (this stuff should have a biohazard label printed on the bottle) and I find them all terrible to mediocre at best. The exception is Epic. This one really stands out and that's something you should expect from a perfume with such a price tag!

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    I actually tried Jubilation recently and have reflection and dia coming iA, I was really not impressed with Jubilation mainly I believe because I am middle eastern and I have smelled better combinations with a similar theme before from random oils
    Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    I would love if you could let me know which ones those are!! Would love to try them somehow.
    Second that. Please share any recommendations!

On the topic of Epic...though I love Jubilation XXV, I was reluctant to take Epic too seriously since many a better perfumisto than me had thought it was a boring redux of earlier fragrances. Nonetheless, I just tested Epic with a full spray and found it potent but comforting, deep and satisfying. The frankincense really works and it's a more friendly oud to my nose than many Montales IMHO. I must admit, however, I have not smelled many of the older fragrances to which this one has been unfavorably compared. I'm going to observe through the drydown, but I think I like it.
    Last edited by presch1; 7th February 2010 at 03:26 PM.

To wich one(s) was it compared? For me, it's rather unique. Up to now, I haven't smelled something only remotely similar.
    Last edited by Ender; 7th February 2010 at 03:50 PM.

This stuff is amazing. Yesterday 4pm: 2 sprays on my forearm. Then I went spinning for an hour, followed by a shower. Today to the gym. A shower again. Sauna session in the evening. Three showers and, 26hours (and 5 showers) after spraying, I can still smell it!

By the way. What are your reviews of this marvel. There still nothing about it on the BN directory! I get a very distinct sour note right from the start to the drydown. Does anyone know what it is?

I love it too. And it is very strong. The reason there are no reviews on Epic Man is that it still has not been added to the directory. When it takes over a year to add new fragrances, especially really popular ones like Epic Man to the directory we lose the opportunity to read the views people have on it. Basenotes really needs to allow people to add new fragrances themselves again like was done several years ago. This would allow us to stay up to date on the new fragrances that come along. Also, it would allow those who are ready to review new fragrances to push the directory to stay current. I think it is much easier to allow the users to enter the new fragrances then correct the errors after the fact than waiting for Basenotes staff to enter fragrances after they build up on a list of requests. Sort of a Wikipedia approach to new fragrance additions in the directory would work best.

Anyway - Epic Man is fantastic! I have wanted to enter a review several times, but it is still not on the directory yet.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 7th February 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Epic Man gets my vote for the best of the Amouages.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I need to test Epic some more, but it strikes me as perfectly good, but a bit boring. To my nose it is like a 2-dimensional Jubilation XXV. It is long lasting though, but I wish it developed along more interesting lines, personally.

To wich one(s) was it compared? For me, it's rather unique. Up to now, I haven't smelled something only remotely similar.
    On various threads on BN and some blog posts, I have heard it compared to Antaeus, Derby, Van Cleef & Arpels PH, Jules, Aramis. The general feedback seems to be that it's in the '80's power fougere class. I'm not really familiar with any of them...though my Dad wore Aramis when I was a kid.

Personally, I'm wondering if Epic and Ormonde Man might have anything in common. I have been wanting to try Ormonde Man. Has anyone tried both?

Quote Originally Posted by presch1 View Post
    On various threads on BN and some blog posts, I have heard it compared to Antaeus, Derby, Van Cleef & Arpels PH, Jules, Aramis. The general feedback seems to be that it's in the '80's power fougere class. I'm not really familiar with any of them...though my Dad wore Aramis when I was a kid.

Personally, I'm wondering if Epic and Ormonde Man might have anything in common. I have been wanting to try Ormonde Man. Has anyone tried both?
    I'm always astonished to read that some people compare scents that have nothing in common for me. Of the ones above I only know Anteus and I smell nothing similar whatsoever.

Ormonde Man is not comparable to Epic. I bought this one blind due to the many good reviews in this forum and I was rather underwhelmed by it. The opening is good but the drydown is very dissapointing. No match for the fantastic drydown of Epic!

Yesterday I put some on my forearm and this morning I get a wonderful incense drydown. How is that possible? Incense has low molecular weight and therefore rather poor longevity. How do you explain it's tenacy. Does the mythical silver incense last longer?

Does anyone get a fruity, blackberry or maybe fig (my g/f thinks it smells like fig) like note in the drydown of Epic Man? (perhaps a combination of the myrrh with other elements?)

I ask because I got a compliment today while donating plasma but I'm not sure if they were commenting about the Epic Man. I had applied the Epic Man about 7 hours earlier but I could still detect it (faintly), but about an hour beforehand I had put a few dabs of Reflection Man on my arms for testing. I did really quickly wash that off (just a couple swipes with a wet towel, no soap) before going as I didn't want it to interfere, but alas it was/is still detectable on my arms, although fairly faintly.

So, I have no idea what scent was actually being complimented. The girl said that it smelled "really good, really fresh" and a nearby guy asked if I had put on a cologne featuring blackberries. Hmm..

I do actually get how one might think this stage of epic smelled of blackberries and in a way it is fresh, almost a bit camphoraceous, but then again Reflection is very fresh and can smell of blackberries to some I imagine with its jasmine/neroli/patchouli combo.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 11th February 2010 at 01:24 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I get a very prominent sour note in Epic's drydown. Could be interpreted as fruity. I have only tested reflection once and it's drydown was a heavy amber fist in my face. Nothign fruity there, drydown wise I mean.

Add me to the fan-list. Epic stands like a pole among today`s "boring" male scents.