Code of Conduct

Default Luca Turin and Tauer L`Air du desert Marocain.

Luca Turin gave this one top-score. But did you know that he wore L`Air du desert Marocain at his own wedding? Well, now you know. This fantastic scent are in my top-3 at the moment. I have absolutely nothing to coplaine aboute it.
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 9th January 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Default Re: Luca Turin and Tauer L`Air du desert Marocain.

ja, das is good!
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I don't wear it as often as my collection has grown, but it is still my number one after 2 years.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

I had a decant of LDDM from the older 100ml style bottle and thought it was quite nice. The incense was balanced with the vanilla and amber. I purchased a 50ml bottle afterwards and it just didn't smell the same. I brought up the difference with Tauer in an email and he said the oils mature after years making the scent more "rounded". I'm awaiting till my bottle ages a bit, and hopefully it might smell the same.

For the time being, it smells exactly like dust. Like sticking your nose into sand. I'm not a huge fan of it. I enjoy Tauer's Incense Extreme & Rose more.

boy these descriptions sure make the scent seem really good!
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Yeah, Turin mentioned it in one of his books, secret of scent or his guide, cant remember.
    Certainly very, very good stuff.

Still not quite sure why he wore this to his wedding...oh well different strokes for different folks!

Am I the only one who thinks it smells exactly like oil paint used in construction?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Luca Turin gave this one top-score. But did you know that he wore L`Air du desert Marocain at his own wedding? Well, now you know. This fantastic scent are in my top-3 at the moment. I have absolutely nothing to coplaine aboute it.
    For all involved I hope it's not a bad omen .
    What you say would make sense because it wasn't Luca but Tania, his then bride, who wrote the exceptionally involved review. I am sure he wanted to wear something that would please her that day. Anyway, is this by hearsay, or can you quote the source?
    Last edited by narcus; 10th January 2010 at 02:45 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/website...ask=view&id=53

And Sanchez wore Osmanthe Yunnan, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    http://www.tauerperfumes.com/website...ask=view&id=53

And Sanchez wore Osmanthe Yunnan, I believe.
    I don't remember where, but I saw it mentioned somewhere else online.

TS review was enough to prompt a blind buy from me and I was not disappointed - this is still one of the most startlingly original and beautiful scents I have ever come across. Same for Osmanthe Yunnan - I have given it as a gift to two friends who do not explore the perfume firmament the way some of us might and both were blown away by it. Gems.

Basenotes Institution

L'air du desert du Marocain is an excellent, well made scent with fantastic longevity and sillage- one of the best for that but there is something in it that comes up as BO on my skin ,after a while .This BO note kind of ruined it for me ,as much I liked ithe perfume itself.
    I am surprised Luca Turin did not wear Mitsouko as this is said to be his all time favorite fragrance.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 10th January 2010 at 06:51 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Luca divulged this information on an interview aired on a morning show screened in the US. I dont recall the name though. I saw this video on youtube about a year ago.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 10th January 2010 at 08:32 AM.

In my opinion L'air du desert du Marocain is a genuine all time classic. It has just grown on me over years. Like only the very best works of art, there just seems to be nothing to criticise about it. Materials, composition, longevity, sillage, concept, exceution....perfect.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

My opinion on L'Air du desert Marocain is a conflicted one. It was my first "real" niche fragrance purchase, from my parents to me for my 21st birthday, which I picked up on a trip to NYC at Aedes. The smell of it, is deeply associated with NYC now for me, and I can't smell it without remembering that day. That being said, my love for it has faded considerably. It epitomizes a genre of fragrance, which I am none to fond of, that I like to call Unwearable Masterpieces. It's obviously of great quality, and represents small artisanal (is this not a word?) perfumery to the highest degree, but I find it lifeless, and heavy handed. It never melds into skin, it doesn't smell like a perfume, more of a fragrant portrait, something to be smelled, but not smell like. I haven't worn my bottle in what seems like forever, but from time to time I break it out to give it a sniff, hoping my mind has changed, but alas, it hasn't, so it sits there unused, a 5-star masterpiece in my books, but not something I think needs to be on my skin.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 10th January 2010 at 04:42 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    My opinion on L'Air du desert Marocain is a conflicted one. It was my first "real" niche fragrance purchase, from my parents to me for my 21st birthday, which I picked up on a trip to NYC at Aedes. The smell of it, is deeply associated with NYC now for me, and I can't smell it without remembering that day. That being said, my love for it has faded considerably. It epitomizes a genre of fragrance, which I am none to fond of, that I like to call Unwearable Masterpieces. It's obviously of great quality, and represents small artisanal (is this not a word?) perfumery to the highest degree, but I find it lifeless, and heavy handed. It never melds into skin, it doesn't smell like a perfume, more of a fragrant portrait, something to be smelled, but not smell like. I haven't worn my bottle in what seems like forever, but from time to time I break it out to give it a sniff, hoping my mind has changed, but alas, it hasn't, so it sits there unused, a 5-star masterpiece in my books, but not something I think needs to be on my skin.
    Amazing, but I have felt that way often too... but recently (and perhaps it is due to the cold and snow here) that I found I do enjoy wearing it. Perhaps it's a mood thing, but I suppose fragrances are like that. I do have to say every time I wear it, I ask myself why haven't I worn this more, yet it's not something I reach for consistently, even when it's right in front of me. I think it is the same with Annick Goutal's Ambre Fetiche - I love it, but end up wearing it only rarely.
    "Faites des bÍtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I love L'air but find it to be a bit of a brute force to be reckoned with.

My future wedding scent seems to be a battle between Amouage Homage and Chanel Cuir de Russie. I can never decide.

What have other people on BN worn to their weddings? (Or plan to wear, as it is for me)

LDDM is exactly what I look for in a niche fragrance - it's unique, and you can instantly recognize it's quality. That said, though I find it very pleasant, incense-based scents are not really my style, and though I plan to buy it, I probably won't reach for it all that often.

It literally took my breath away the first time I sampled it, and it still does.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post