Code of Conduct

Default What is a good signature scent for college student?

A little bit about me...I am athletic/average looking

My typical wardrobe consists of polo shirt or track jacket along with nice dark jeans and white shoes

I like fresh scents as well as sweet scents

Please dont recommend me a scent that is too generic (cool water, ADG) I have 6 colognes so far and am ready to branch out...I dont live close to a mall with a strong variety of scents so online shopping is my only option

Default Re: What is a good signature scent for college student?

If u don't mind spending like $95, at Scientiments u can get a bottle of Green Irish Tweed 2.5oz Let me be honest with u. I'm 18, yesterday i went into the fragrance shop, sprayed 2 sprays of GIT on the top of my left hand, 5 hours later went to a family party, "it still had some projection" about 6 inches, with the girl on top of me i got complamented, lol good times

The moral or the story is, I got complamented within like 5 hours of putting the scent on my body, and i DOUBT u can say that with anything else. She asked me what it was, as I told her how much it cost, she was like I DON'T CARE, BUY IT!

nice recomendation but unfortuantly i dont want to spend that much on a fragrance i cant smell beforehand...i wanted to spend about 50 bucks max...i was thinking either one of these...but i wanted your opinions

http://www.ljshopping.net/Calvin-Kle...ein/Id/2952/10

http://www.ljshopping.net/Yves-Saint...rent/Id/1452/3

GIT is Nice
    another one I recommend is Paco XS Extreme
    Mugler Cologne
    Exceptional for Men
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    GIT is Nice
    another one I recommend is Paco XS Extreme
    Mugler Cologne
    Exceptional for Men
    are these scents liked by most people? i wasnt really aiming for a love/hate scents such as A men

Dependent

Hi ScottyU, welcome to Basenotes. How about listing what you use at the moment, so we won't cover those you already own.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Hi ScottyU, welcome to Basenotes. How about listing what you use at the moment, so we won't cover those you already own.
    hey, currently i only have 5 scents
    - escada magnetism
    - aqua di gio
    - versace man eau fraiche
    - john varvatos original
    - le male by Jaun Paul Gualtier

i just ordered these 2 weeks ago and I love every one of them...I used to really like Gio but the more i smell other scents the more i dislike it, plus every one of my friends has it...le male isnt my type of smell but the ladies love it...my favorite has to be John varvatos...its musky an nice in the winter, but for a signature i want more of a summer/spring type scent

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyU View Post
    hey, currently i only have 5 scents
    - escada magnetism
    - aqua di gio
    - versace man eau fraiche
    - john varvatos original
    - le male by Jaun Paul Gualtier

i just ordered these 2 weeks ago and I love every one of them...I used to really like Gio but the more i smell other scents the more i dislike it, plus every one of my friends has it...le male isnt my type of smell but the ladies love it...my favorite has to be John varvatos...its musky an nice in the winter, but for a signature i want more of a summer/spring type scent
    Ah, thanks for that, I think it will give us a better idea. Anyways, for a warmer weather scent, you can consider trying to sample some Hugo XY, Bulgari Aqua, and some 212 men.

Cheaper options:
    Terre D'Hermes
    Encre Noire
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche concentree

More expensive options:

Bond No. 9 Wall Street
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Miller Harris Tangerine Verte

smeller

I believe you would like some of these:

Dolce & Gabbana for men
    Platinum Égoïste
    Ralph Lauren Safari for Men
    Minotaure
    Bvlgari pour Homme

Good luck!
    Last edited by smeller; 11th January 2010 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalica77 View Post
    . . .went to a family party, "it still had some projection" about 6 inches, with the girl on top of me
    OK I couldn't pass up bringing attention to the above quotation.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by smeller View Post
    I believe you would like some of these:

Dolce & Gabbana for men
    Platinum Égoïste
    Ralph Lauren Safari for Men
    Minotaure
    Bvlgari pour Homme

Good luck!
    heard great things about egoiste and bvlgari pour homme...check out this price on bvlgari PH...would you say it is better than Eternity?

http://www.ljshopping.net/Bvlgari/me...lgari/Id/392/3

Lanvin Vetyver is a pretty safe bet. It's inexpensive, easily available, is something different from the rest of your collection,it wouldn't seem out of place when worn with a polo shirt or track jacket, is more of a "summer style" fragrance, and best of all it smells great.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Its pretty popular but not aqua di gio popular... Chrome by azzaro. It smells great , lasts long and has great sillage for the type of scent it is. Also try Issey Miyake Leau Dissey (probly spelled it wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyylicous View Post
    Its pretty popular but not aqua di gio popular... Chrome by azzaro. It smells great , lasts long and has great sillage for the type of scent it is. Also try Issey Miyake Leau Dissey (probly spelled it wrong)
    hey thats actually in my shopping cart right now along with versace the dreamer and la nuit de l'homme by YSL...i needed a nice summer fragrance along with a nice romantic scent (the dreamer) and a party/clubbing scent (la nuit de l'homme) all have great longevity from what i hear..all are blind buys..since its hard to find a tester for la nuit and the dreamer...i have already smelled chrome before and love it! very rich smelling
    Last edited by ScottyU; 11th January 2010 at 04:37 AM.

smeller

heard great things about egoiste and bvlgari pour homme...check out this price on bvlgari PH...would you say it is better than Eternity?

http://www.ljshopping.net/Bvlgari/me...lgari/Id/392/3
    I happen to like Eternity a lot, for very personal and odd reasons. So I would say both are equally good, but I do find Bvlgari less cloying and more unique than Eternity.

However, I do not recommend blind buying any of these, please try to sample them before.

lol It was a family party, the kids house, it's his cousin. i'm not related, i made it sound that way lol my bad. I think of em as family friends, that's why i say that lol

I also own 212 men, i'd second that for school.

Blog Entries

I used to wear Eternity quite a bit when I was in college, but I'd say Bvlgari is better. I'll also concur with the Bvlgari Aqva recommendation. Great stuff.

I will add that if you do like AdG, then you need to check out Versace Pour Homme. It's similar, but much better (mature) IMO.

get some gendarme and start knocking them down

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    I used to wear Eternity quite a bit when I was in college, but I'd say Bvlgari is better. I'll also concur with the Bvlgari Aqva recommendation. Great stuff.

I will add that if you do like AdG, then you need to check out Versace Pour Homme. It's similar, but much better (mature) IMO.
    which is better aqua or aqua marine?? how is the longevity, i am torn between chrome, aqua, and bulgari homme,, which has best projection and longevity
    Last edited by ScottyU; 11th January 2010 at 05:20 AM.

Something classic. Even though you're young I think you should try something like Rive Gauche, or maybe something more modern but solid, like Dior Homme.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

I really like Chrome, the longevity is exceptional and the fragrance is very refreshing. The projection is fairly good, it's not overpowering but it's also not too quiet. I get a citrus opening, and then a clean/fresh drydown.
    Last edited by tinybarbarian; 11th January 2010 at 05:43 AM.

I got a sample of Aqua Marine, and i didn't like it at all. For the whole time it is on u, all you smell is grapefruit. I love grapefruit but, it's a bit over done. I'd either go with the 212 Men or the regular Aqva, i personally don't enjoy Chrome.

I think Issey Miyake l'eau d'Issey pour Homme would suit perfectly. Also consider giving Chanel Allure Homme edition Blanche a try if you like lemons.
    Last edited by Anthony87; 11th January 2010 at 05:50 AM.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

L'Occitane eav de Bavx cause it is cheap but great vanille for men.
    YSL La Nuit de l'Hommes cause it is so good for evening wear.
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt cause it is quite attractive, romantique, and not too sicky sweet.
    Prada Infusion d'homme cause it is simple, clean, and very nice.

if youre in college, check out paco rabanne one million. if you're in the states, its not sold in b&m stores only online. so you have an advantage already in that its not too common.

Basenotes Plus

Plenty of good suggestions around. I'll add a few more from designer range here, available at many online stores. Unless you're dead certain about your preferences, it's probably best if you could sample them first, give them an extended wearing before deciding on a 'signature'.

Modern/Urban
    Dior Cologne or Dior Homme (if you prefer it sweeter)
    Lalique Encre Noire
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Michael Kors Michael
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Bulgari Pour Homme

Sports/Fresh
    Davidoff Silver Shadow Altitude
    Chanel Allure Homme Sports
    Thierry Mugler Mugler Cologne
    Prada Infusion d'Homme

Green
    Chanel No.19
    Lanvin Vetyver
    Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green (spicy)
    Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey (herbal cerebral)

Sweet & spicy but powdery
    Lanvin Arpege pour Homme
    Givenchy Play Intense
    Boucheron Jaipur Homme

Floral spicy
    Kenzo Power

Woods & spices
    Lalique pour Homme Equus
    Gucci Gucci pour Homme II

Bittersweet
    Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel
    Narciso Rodriguez Narciso Rodriguez for Him

Classic leathery masculine
    Aramis Aramis
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
    Azzaro Azzaro pour Homme
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 11th January 2010 at 06:50 AM.

You might also like

Azzaro Visit and Azzaro Bright Visit
    Solo Loewe Extreme
    CK Obsession Night Men
    Mugler Cologne (by far not as generic, as thought, besides, extremely versatile, crisp and well liked)
    YSL M7
    Givenchy pour Homme

Throw more money at the situation..., painfull I know but you then get into a 'wider perfumery world'. You'll thank me.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport might be perfect for you

Wow, that's a great list DiamondFlame

I'll go through the 3 choices you narrowed down to:

Chrome lasts and lasts. It's also one of those fragrances that would please everyone (some may even find it has aphrodisiac qualities). It would be a powerful addition to your wardrobe. But you might see the same case with it as with your Acqua di Gio. It has a sharp metallic note that persists and hardly evolves. It's a simplistic jasmine fragrance, a more structured cK One. Still, it's affordable, has extreme longevity, works in summer heat, doesn't offend in close quarters, and most likely garner you a lot of compliments, with the only shortcoming that you won't love it in the long run.

Bvlgari Aqva is one of the better aquatic offerings you can get. It has a lot of depth (the original version, which is why I prefer it to the Marine version which I feel has taken away some of the original's unique qualities and made itself more generic). It's casual enough to go with what you usually wear but also classy enough to use in formal settings. I would not personally use it as a signature scent because of its inorganic smelling mineral notes. So if you wear it, you probably won't smell like 'you', instead you smell like rocks by the beach - a signature frag should smell like 'you' and let people associate to your personality.

Out of your 3, I find Bvlgari Homme the best choice for a sig frag. It's a very elegant tea scent that evolves along the course of the day. Complex enough so you won't get bored of it too soon. I find that it projects itself in wafts that leave people wondering 'what is that pleasant scent, so effortless yet inscrutable in its allure?'. Of course, the mystery's all gone if it's popular in your area.

I'll still recommend you try Mugler Cologne as suggested if you have the chance because it's such a terrific soapy fresh frag. And to add to that suggestion, Au the Vert by Bvlgari for how it sits into your skin and makes a playful banshee of itself.

And that's to answer the above opinions. My own opinion, is that now's the time for you to explore the classics. Something timeless and distinctive that you could see yourself wearing through life. And for that, I recommend you try:
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Aramis Tuscany Per Uomo

Or modern (to be) classics:
    Dior Homme
    Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme
    Burberry London

That's it, more research for you!

Wonderful posts to this thread by DiamondFlame and Xen. Great work gents.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

do this --

chanel allure homme edition blanche - its a well made frag and it says i care about what i smell like but doesn't scream 'I WEAR COLOGNE TO CLASS'

Blog Entries

My picks would be:
    Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme (very non-offensive, might smell boring at first, but it takes a few wearings to notice it's nice subtleties, semi-casual, semi-formal, notes are suitable year round)
    L'eau Par Kenzo (fresh, citrusy, with a smooth woodsy sweet note)
    Gucci II (especially if you love black tea, gorgeous black tea note)
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport (extremely versatile, casual and classy all in one bottle.)
    Chanel Egoiste Platinum (if you haven't smelled success in a bottle, this comes pretty close to it)
    Geir Ness (fresh, cool floral mountain air with a nice warm sweater, that's what it feels like)
    Paul Smith Story (earthy, soapy, and very fresh)
    CK Euphoria Intense (mossy, inviting, and sweet)
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin (sweet and cheap to acquire. if you like black licorice or uh...Jagermeifer, check this out.)
    Thierry Mugler Ice*Men (try this one out if you love iced coffee with a little sugar because that's what this is)

If you're worried about "love/hate" fragrances, I'd say search for threads for "most complimented" fragrances. It should give you an idea of something that everyday people will dig.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 2nd February 2010 at 07:27 AM.

Creed Original Vetiver. Smell it once, and it will hunt your dreams until you get your hands on it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Creed Original Vetiver. Smell it once, and it will hunt your dreams until you get your hands on it!
    That's why I stuck with it's bastard child, Mugler Cologne. I say no to drugs because I don't want to curl up in a corner fiending for Original Vetiver.