Code of Conduct

Default Gentleman helps PLEASE!!!

HI
    Long time just reading this site and becoming a real patient!
    Have made some decisions for few fragrances but it was not what I was expecting.
    As a result of this forum and site I bought some for me new fragrances like Joop Homme, Bulgari extreme, PS, and Lagerfeld. But that was not what I was looking.
    SO PLEASE help me to find real POWERHOUSE man fragrance with lasting at list 12h on skin.
    I m ordering true FRAGRANCEX.com and as I heard all stuff is good there but not find some real long lasting scent (good one).
    I was going to get Le Male and Yatagan but before that not to make more mistakes PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
    Last edited by Bitolaman; 10th January 2010 at 08:25 PM.

Default Re: Gentleman help PLEASE!!!

Hello and welcome!

After reading the forums and asking a few questions, I have M7 and Antaeus on my 'wish list'.

A*Men/ Angel Men and Givenchy Play Intense are also rather poweful, but I personally can't stand them!

No doubt somebody will be along shortly to recommend Kouros

Default Re: Gentleman helps PLEASE!!!

Welcome to Basenotes. You'll find a lot of fantastic suggestions for powerhouse fragrances with tremendous longevity and sillage (projection) through the forums by searching, but I can suggest the following classics to you that are favorites of mine:

Aramis - MANY from Aramis, including the original
    Chanel - Antaeus, Egoiste
    Christian Dior - Jules
    Cartier - Santos Concentree
    Gucci - Pour Homme (1976 original)
    Hermes - Bel Ami, Equipage
    Lancome - Sagamore
    Tiffany & Co. - Tiffany for Men
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren - Polo (original)

If you want to go with a niche fragrance there's Creed's Bois du Portugal, which is extremely satisfying and one I would definitely consider an extremely "refined" powerhouse.

Dependent

+1 on Antaeus. It isn't really my thing, but it does give me the impression of a powerhouse masculine.
    +1 on Sagamore. It is a truly beautiful scent. I bought another back up recently.

I second most of the frags already mentioned, especially Aramis, Antaeus, Van Cleef & Arpels PH and Santos Concentree.

I would also like to recommend you Trussardi Uomo and Esencia Loewe.

Thanks, i was expecting more help, only 3 people with diferent fragrances, anyway thx a lot.

i'm new as well. it's hard finding scents that you will like. everyone is different. i'm sure there will be different cologne recommendations from every post on this thread. that's just the way it is. some of my favorites are creed original santal, ysl kouros, aramis havana and mpg santal noble

on that note, my advice would be to take some of the most common scents recommended in this thread and order samples on either luckyscent.com or theperfumedcourt.com. both are excellent! it's better to waste $3 than $45-$120 in case you don't like it

happy hunting!
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 12th January 2010 at 12:49 AM.

1. Give it some time. These are all responses within a day of your post...
    2. Can you be more specific about what type of smells you like? spices? wood? lemons? earth? water? green?, etc...
    when you say "powerhouse" do you mean very "manly" or something that lasts 12+ hours?
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

It's hard to believe that you don't find your Joop Homme as a POWERHOUSE. That stuff is strong and has serious lasting power. Of course, if you don't like the smell, that's a whole other issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitolaman View Post
    I was going to get Le Male and Yatagan but before that not to make more mistakes PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
    Welcome to Basenotes, Bitolaman!

It is always best to sample fragrances before purchasing them. In my case, sampling wasn't always an easy option so I made many blind buys. As you are discovering, there is a steep learning curve when you base your purchasing decisions upon other people's opinions rather than your own. After awhile, however, I became very adept at making successful blind buys. I learned which reviewers' opinions matched my own tastes and which ones didn't. Initially, I also researched the fragrances I liked (found out their notes, which family they belong to, etc.) and tried to purchase similar ones.

Give time time. You will be amazed at how quickly your knowledge and confidence grows.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

It is a little unclear what your fragrance preferences might be. The term "powerhouse" in here usually refers to a particular kind of male frag that is masculine, strong and projects pretty well.

In the that vein, Chanel Anteus and Van Clef & Arpels Pour Homme.

Another one with terrific strength and longevity is Malle's Noir Epices. But it may, or may not be the type of scent you're looking for.

Basenotes Plus

Polo by Ralph Lauren fits the bill of a gentleman powerhouse frag...
    But whichever scent you pick, do sample first.

+1 Antaeus, Bel Ami, Tiffany for Men.

Aramis JHL, Balanciega Cristobal. Halston Catalyst, Serge Luten Fumerie Turque, Robert Piguet Bandit, Maître Parfumeur et Gantier - Parfum de Habit & Montale Black Aoud

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    1. Give it some time. These are all responses within a day of your post...
    2. Can you be more specific about what type of smells you like? spices? wood? lemons? earth? water? green?, etc...
    when you say "powerhouse" do you mean very "manly" or something that lasts 12+ hours?
    Yes, of course it needs Time,
    Also I need to be specific too, sorry for that!
    I ll go this way (math freak I m)
    1. Joop PH I m using right know , It is excellent for my taste, orient and sweet and masculine but it last on my skin 2-3 hours
    2. Why I m looking for 12 h with Longevity of 2 meters because I have one bed habit, I smoke cigars to much (I enjoin a lot )
    And I’m to dynamic on my everyday basis
    3. I like to left tracks behind me
    4. I m on net advertizing and expert on using google and others and have reports of websites, and THIS WEBSITE is probably only place on earth where can I found answers.

So thank you for yours patience and understanding
    ps. I do not like cheap scents too

Yes, of course it needs Time,
    Also I need to be specific too, sorry for that!
    I ll go this way (math freak I m)
    1. Joop PH I m using right know , It is excellent for my taste, orient and sweet and masculine but it last on my skin 2-3 hours
    2. Why I m looking for 12 h with Longevity of 2 meters because I have one bed habit, I smoke cigars to much (I enjoin a lot )
    And I’m to dynamic on my everyday basis
    3. I like to left tracks behind me
    4. I m on net advertizing and expert on using google and others and have reports of websites, and THIS WEBSITE is probably only place on earth where can I found answers.

So thank you for yours patience and understanding
    ps. I do not like cheap scents too
    Of course it needs time and I believe you knew that coming into this. If you don't care about any particular note, just powerhouses with monster sillage ( which is the wake or projection), then the suggestions above are quite on the mark. Sample is king my friend. You'll get all kind of advice from members who really don't really know what they're talking about, just read it somewhere. You'll sort out them in due time Good luck to you.

I'm amazed you only get 2-3 hours out of Joop! pour homme. Maybe your spraying too much & its causing you to get olfactory fatigue? (i.e. your nose gets bombarded and simply stops smelling it)
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    I'm amazed you only get 2-3 hours out of Joop! pour homme. Maybe your spraying too much & its causing you to get olfactory fatigue? (i.e. your nose gets bombarded and simply stops smelling it)
    I know what you mean, Joop! Homme easily lasts 24 hours on my skin.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Personally, I think the best and most wearable powerhouse fragrance for men is Creed's Bois du Portugal (Portuguese Wood).

Classic, heavy-handed powerhouses include Paco Rabanne (pine, outdoors), Kouros (deep spices, no sweetness) and the original Polo (if you like tobacco).

You might also like Antaeus (leather) and Tiffany for Men (rosewood).

Michael Kors by Michael Kors might also qualify (heavy on tobacco) and great longevity. If money is no object, Jubilation XXV by Amouage packs intense frankincense. And, of course, the sadly discontinued Gucci Rush (original version) - a rich feast of woods and spices.

What do you think of Anucci Cologne by Anucci for Men ?

smeller

Default Re: Gentleman help PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTheBeginner View Post

No doubt somebody will be along shortly to recommend Kouros
    KOUROS seems to be EXACTLY what he's looking for.

What do you think of Anucci Cologne by Anucci for Men ?
    If you are talking about Anucci Man, I have never tried it and can only offer my opinion based upon the reviews in the Directory. There are ten reviews and all of them are positive. That's a great start but almost of the reviewers stress how floral the fragrance is. In fact, Naed_Nitram said it is "Definitely a Parisian dandy's scent."

The vast majority of men's fragrances have some floral notes in them. For the most part, this 'floral-ness' is not over the top and primarily serves to support and augment the other notes in the composition. So, floral notes by themselves do not bother me. However my radar detector goes off when a number of people, whose opinions I respect, describe a fragrance as being exceedingly floral. Floral scents are an iffy thing for me. I have only found a few that I liked well enough to purchase.

Personally, I would not buy Anucci Man without trying it first despite the fact that the reviews are 100% positive.

Polo of course, and Yatagan will NEVER be considered a weak, feminine fragrance. Paco Rabbane, I think, is also a great powerhouse fragrance. Buying blind can be fun....not so in your case I guess, but you can get tiny samples for extra cheap on those online brokers. Despite my best instincts, I still will buy blind, but sampling can save some dough...good luck...

LOL....please sample Kouros before you buy....sheesh.....urinal mint extraordinaire....just my opinion guys...
    “Government big enough to supply
    everything you need is big enough
    to take everything you have.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Let me publicly announce this bad boy...."POLLLLLOOO GREEENNNN!!!" It reeks masculine!!

Also, Kouros, Rive Gauche PH and Eau Sauvage By Dior Is great!!!

They're all opulently luxurious and masculine!

good luck mate!

- Balava
    Last edited by Balavassassin; 16th January 2010 at 05:07 AM.
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Right now I m really confused!!!!!!! ( not about Anucci )
    Last edited by Bitolaman; 16th January 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Let me publicly announce this bad boy...."POLLLLLOOO GREEENNNN!!!" It reeks man!!

Also, Kours, Rive Gauche PH and Eau Sauvage By Dior Is great!!!

They're all opulently luxurious and masculine!

good luck mate!

- Balava
    I was useing once Eau Sauvage By Dior great but for 30 min. It is fact that Kouros is POWERHOUSE with strange notes, but to put this bouth fragrances together is realy strange????

Bitolaman......There are a few additional details which would help everyone here who is trying to help you. First, could you be more specific about the fragrance categories that interest you? For example, do you prefer, aromatic fougeres, orientals, woody spicy fragrances, or any other category more than another? This would help us give you more specific recommendations. In light of what you initially wrote in this thread, seeking a fragrance approximating 12+ hour longevity, and I would also assume that you would want it to have decent sillage/projection, I will recommend to you the following (please note - it would be a good thing if you could test/sample these fragrances before purchasing them rather than buying them blind!):

Sung Homme
    Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Lapidus pour Homme
    Salvador Dali pour homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Kouros
    Opium pour Homme
    Grey Flannel
    Caesars Man

Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SillageMonger View Post
    Bitolaman......There are a few additional details which would help everyone here who is trying to help you. First, could you be more specific about the fragrance categories that interest you? For example, do you prefer, aromatic fougeres, orientals, woody spicy fragrances, or any other category more than another? This would help us give you more specific recommendations. In light of what you initially wrote in this thread, seeking a fragrance approximating 12+ hour longevity, and I would also assume that you would want it to have decent sillage/projection, I will recommend to you the following (please note - it would be a good thing if you could test/sample these fragrances before purchasing them rather than buying them blind!):

Sung Homme
    Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
    Lapidus pour Homme
    Salvador Dali pour homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Kouros
    Opium pour Homme
    Grey Flannel
    Caesars Man

Good Luck!!!
    Good point. THANKS!

I prefer
    1. Spicy: spicy, floral and musk notes.
    2. Woody : woody, fruity woody, spicy leathery woody
    3. RUM an Leather

Sillage and long lastin with one word POWEMONSTER and extra sweet
    And typical MUSCOLINE fragrance.
    Last edited by Bitolaman; 17th January 2010 at 02:20 AM.

I'd strike at least one early recommendation - Equipage. It has good longevity, but doesn't have monster projection.

+1 for Grey Flannel if you like a woody floral. It lasts all day and it doesn't take much activity to get it going.
    I'd group Quorum with the "80's powerhouses" but I spray on the light side with it, so I can't comment on projection.

Beyond that, I can't help much. I dislike sweet and gourmand fragrances, and prefer longevity or interesting notes to sillage.