Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Which one: Tubereuse Criminelle by SL, Daphne Guinness by CdG or Tuberose Gardenia by EL

OK, so I know that the above 3 fragrances are marketed towards women - so if you don't wear feminine fragrances or feel comfortable discussing or reading about men wearing feminine fragrances, please feel free to ignore this thread and move right along (...nothing to see here...). Thanks!

Alright. For those of you still reading...

I have been sampling these three tuberose prominent scents recently - and I seem to find something to love in all three.

The Tubereuse Criminelle is just so shockingly twisted when it goes on skin, and although I can see how the gasoline accord might be offensive to most, to me it makes me giggle. It's fun. It also happens to be quite linear. Wondering if that might get a bit boring? And well...it's only available in those non-export, bell jars.

Daphne Guinness is the one I am currently in love with: perhaps the most dizzyingly eclectic white floral I've ever smelled. Certain Basenoters cautioned against over applying this one (mentioning a 'vomit' note) but on my skin there is no such thing. Just coconut-esque tuberose, something dirty (sour, aoud-like) and then a whole bunch of different textures and sensations (wood, synthetics, sweetness, salty). It also smells like nothing I have ever smelled before. Supposedly it's a limited edition also (when it's gone, it's gone).

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder has been on my To Buy List for more than a year. Yes, the gardenia note makes it hard to compare this to the other two, but when PCTG dries down it is all about the tuberose. Perhaps the first 'modern' tuberose to succeed so well in replicating that natural indolic smell of the flower in nature (that is, besides vintage Joy parfum by Jean Patou). I have owned a decant of the EdT once, but I have not smelled the parfum version of this. This is the most 'affordable' of the three.

I don't see me owning all three - I would be more than satisfied with one tuberose prominent, full bottle fragrance in my wardrobe. So, which one do you prefer?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Which one: Tubereuse Criminelle by SL, Daphne Guinness by CdG or Tuberose Gardenia by EL

I think you and I have been thinking along the same lines !

I am also in love with the Daphne Guinness - isn't it just wonderful ? I asked Luckyscent whether this was really a limited edition and they said - not that they know of. Like you , I also lem the the PCTG which I have bottles of , in the EDP - but I really would like the parfum version .

It's a hard choice Mike. I would like both Daphne and PCTG. I can live without Tubereuse Criminelle though- partly because of availability and because I don't get as much of a tuberose whack on my skin, as with the other two scents.

I do know PCTG is the one scent that is versatile and I never tire of wearing- it feels me with joy from the first spritz to the dry down everytime. On me it has better longevity and sillage than even Daphne.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 11th January 2010 at 09:53 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Which one: Tubereuse Criminelle by SL, Daphne Guinness by CdG or Tuberose Gardenia by EL

Thank you Ms. Knot. The drydown on the CdG is what really is blowing my mind...it's so odd. In a good way.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    OK, so I know that the above 3 fragrances are marketed towards women - so if you don't wear feminine fragrances or feel comfortable discussing or reading about men wearing feminine fragrances, please feel free to ignore this thread and move right along (...nothing to see here...). Thanks!
    I love this!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

...Alright. For those of you still reading...
    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I love this!
    LOL - thanks.

I think we should come up with some sort of abbreviation for those threads that might offend some guys. NSFMWDWFF (Not Safe For Men Who Don't Wear Female Fragrances)?

I've tried the TC sample that you gave me and I absolutely love the beyond weird, mentholated whatever it is opening. But once the novelty is over, all I get is an artificially sweetend, artificial white flower note. Stick to with the DG or PCTG.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th January 2010 at 12:09 PM.

I have and LOVE TC and ELTG, but haven't tried Daphne. I've been wanting for soooo long though, and you've made my lemming even worse with your description. I've heard that it's a love-it-or-hate-it scent though. But I'm pretty sure I'll love it. It's just like Joey in that Friends episode where he eats Rachel's gone horribly wrong "Sherpard's Pie". She mixed beef, peas, jelly and custard thinking it was the right recipe. They all faked liking her pie but when Joey was asked how the hell he liked it, he said,"What's not to like? Beef? Good! Peas? Good! Jelly? Good! Custard? Good!". All the notes in Daphne appeal to me, and I don't see how it could be off-putting. Thats it! I'm ordering a sample NOW! LoL!
    Yeah...to get back to TC and ELTG (lol), I really think that TC is a must-have tuberose for summer. It really blooms in the heat, and it's mentholated opening keeps you energized all day long. However a word of caution. It's very low in sillage, and one day I overapplied the shit out of it, and I got a HUGE vomit note that basically ruined my day. I found out by applying in heat, and occaisionally sweating during the day, really does do justice to the frag. I've also been lemming ELTG parfum for some time now. On my skin, the EDP is all about tuberose, and very little about gardenia. I LOVE it the way it is, but I'm hoping the parfum will switch the order of the two notes on my skin. I also think ELTG is very versatile and goes great in any weather.

Huh, it`s tough choice for me as I haven`t tried CDG.
    I`d say - definitely not EL. As it`s soooo... safe? well, it`s just safe.

As for the continuation, I`d suggest you more tuberoses to try.
    Life Threads trio by La Prairie is wide available here and as far as I could recall, the Silver perfume is poisonous & powerful tuberose with a longest sillage I ever smelled.

Also - Bolt of Lightning by JAR Parfums. No, not to buy a decant - I believe that 500-600 euro for pure tuberose absolute is too much. Just find good retailer of natural absolutes, buy some mls, add some alcohol and ENJOY! I found this experience very enlightening (though I`d add some musks for prolonged efect). Tuberose Absolute has fresh, flowery scent, with some pear and mown grass accents. Oh, that`s just fantastic!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Sur la Plage

Mike - Just curious if you have tried any of the Histores de Parfums Tuberose Trilogy fragrances: TUBEROSE 1-CAPRICIEUSE (capricious), TUBEROSE 2-VIRGINALE (virginal), or TUBEROSE 3-ANIMALE (animal).

http://www.histoiresdeparfums.com/10-6319-TUB.php
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th January 2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Thanks everyone for the comments.

I have not tried tuberose essential oil or those La Prairie or Histoires des Parfums scents - but I can see how this future sampling options could totally unravel my concentration and get me off track. LOL.

oh, Mike, I did not mean to get you off your track!
    That`s why I did not suggest Fracas Piguet, etc. Keep going!

(Anyway, not essential oil but tuberose absolute. Just keep in mind - all these perfumes were inspired by this natural stuff! LOL. Some time later you could come back and try)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    ...Anyway, not essential oil but tuberose absolute. Just keep in mind...
    Tuberose absolute - got it. Thanks moon_fish.

I happen to like Fracas, but I don't find it very wearable on me (it's a bit too loud for my tastes).

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Huh, it`s tough choice for me as I haven`t tried CDG.
    I`d say - definitely not EL. As it`s soooo... safe? well, it`s just safe.

As for the continuation, I`d suggest you more tuberoses to try.
    Life Threads trio by La Prairie is wide available here and as far as I could recall, the Silver perfume is poisonous & powerful tuberose with a longest sillage I ever smelled.

Also - Bolt of Lightning by JAR Parfums. No, not to buy a decant - I believe that 500-600 euro for pure tuberose absolute is too much. Just find good retailer of natural absolutes, buy some mls, add some alcohol and ENJOY! I found this experience very enlightening (though I`d add some musks for prolonged efect). Tuberose Absolute has fresh, flowery scent, with some pear and mown grass accents. Oh, that`s just fantastic!
    I find JAR's Bolt of Lightening fascinating and divine! I have been wanting to buy it for some time now but it's too expensive for what it is. Is it really pure tuberose absolute but diluted?! Have you tried buying the absolute and diluting it?

Mike - Just curious if you have tried any of the Histores de Parfums Tuberose Trilogy fragrances: TUBEROSE 1-CAPRICIEUSE (capricious), TUBEROSE 2-VIRGINALE (virginal), or TUBEROSE 3-ANIMALE (animal).

I have been wanting to try these for some time now, ever since I heard about them months and months ago.

Basenotes Institution

Funny, I've sampled Bolt of Lightning twice, and yet I don't think about it as a tuberose prominent scent. Green, almost bamboo-like...but not particularly floral on my skin.

Basenotes Institution

Mike- for a full blown tuberose experience - it's Beyond Love by Kilian .Serious tuberose ! A bit of a cool chilly opening and then it blooms and stays put like that.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mysticknot View Post
    Mike- for a full blown tuberose experience - it's Beyond Love by Kilian .Serious tuberose ! A bit of a cool chilly opening and then it blooms and stays put like that.
    When I tried it at Bergdorf's in NY, it left me kind of underwhelmed. I must try it again.

Basenotes Institution

I understand that too- I had several samples before I fell for it. It's great though. Lasts a long time too.

Re.Daphne- it really does pull my strings. You should go for it Mike. I love the incensey vibe too . ( Only thing is I wish it wasn't called Daphne ! )

Funny, I've sampled Bolt of Lightning twice, and yet I don't think about it as a tuberose prominent scent. Green, almost bamboo-like...but not particularly floral on my skin.
    Mike I had a tiny .25ml from TPC for over a year, and although it's finished, I tested it about 20 times. The first couple of times I tried it, I had written it off as one of the worst scents I have ever smelled. All I got was nasty, nasty vegetation and berries. The more and more I tried it, I could see the camphor from the tuberose emerging slowly each time. Up until the last couple of times I sampled, I smelt more and more of the tuberose. My brother, who has a tuberose radar for a nose, when he smelt the topnotes literally said, "Mmmmm tuberose! Nice!". I mean he can detect tuberose in ANY scent.
    And Beyond Love is indeed beyond love for me

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I have been wanting to try these for some time now, ever since I heard about them months and months ago.
    I want to try them also. They do sound intruiging - especially 3-Animale.

On the whole getting you off track theme, have you considered Parfumerie Generale Tubereuse Couture? Also a gorgeous tuberose. My favorite. The green/sugarcane notes beat back the tuberose a bit, but the tuberose is still very, very much _there_. It's just standing right next to you instead of smothering you.

Tubereuse Criminelle is my favorite in your list. The menthol/mothball/gasoline notes do the same job as the sugarcane for Tubereuse Couture. And I like the energy of those notes. And I like the fact that they're insane. If you cared about feminine or not, I'd say that this is the least feminine of all the options discussed.

I don't remember Tuberose Gardenia all that clearly, but my rather vague recollection is that it's more conventional and less interesting. But you clearly have a clearer memory, so my memory really isn't very relevant.

I didn't "get" Guiness, so I can't speak to it.

I want to try them also. They do sound intruiging - especially 3-Animale.
    There are a few people who smelt these three and they posted their comments on NST
    One person who smelt #3 said it was a leathery, animalic tuberose! Good God I need to try these! I was reminded to Guerlain's uber-limited Champs-Elysees parfum offered for 10K euros. I got to test it in Harrods last winter and was nearly brought to tears. It was exactly like that description; leathery, animalic tuberose. Imagine the signature civet note of Jicky with the leatheriness of Djedi or Onda and a HUGE medicinal tuberose that isn't in any Guerlain I know off. I still dream of a day that I own this. Let's hope #3 follows (I doubt it though) in its steps. SIIIIIGHHHHH
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/12/29...ew-fragrances/

Basenotes Plus

Mike, I do not get along with most tuberose but it is the favorite note of my sister & two of my dearest friends, one of them is a guy. When someone can wear a note, I really don't think gender matters. They smell fantastic & that's the bottom line.

Of the scents you listed, one of these friends is head over heals crazy for Daphne.
    My sister doesn't like the Estee Lauder, as she gets that odd gasoline note you can sometimes get with tuberoses. I've smelled this on her & it really does smell like gasoline. So this one wouldn't get my vote.

Now Tuberose Criminelle is actually a tuberose I've worn & enjoyed. I think I liked it because it had more than just the tuberose going on in it. I should think in the heat, it could be quite refreshing & tropical on you.

However, I'm following a hunch here & cast my vote for Daphne, as my pick for you.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

And now I'm seriously losing my concentration, because I hadn't even considered Champs Elysses parfum until you brought it up scent, and now the La Prairie and the HdP #3 one and the PG one...Ack!

Seriously - thank you all for the ideas and the votes of confidence one way or another. I love how the smallest, subtle details from these fragrances I've missed until you folks pointed them out to me. It makes going back to my samples a lot more focused of a time. All good, in my book.

Nonetheless...I think (as you suggested mysticknot) that I am leaning slightly towards the Daphne Guinness. I personally don't mind the name -- rather it's that Clinique-meets-Orangina-soda shaped bottle that perplexes me.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 13th January 2010 at 03:17 AM.

Nonetheless...I think (as you suggested mysticknot) that I am leaning slightly towards the Daphne Guinness. I personally don't mind the name -- rather it's that Clinique-meets-Orangina-soda shaped bottle that perplexes me.
    I _love_ that bottle! It's the fragrance I'm not sure I like.

Basenotes Institution

The bottle is cute Mike ! I say go for it !

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I find JAR's Bolt of Lightening fascinating and divine! I have been wanting to buy it for some time now but it's too expensive for what it is. Is it really pure tuberose absolute but diluted?! Have you tried buying the absolute and diluting it?
    Be sure, scent, I do adore JAR`s BoL too!
    I have small BoL EDP decant and have a chance to compare it with undiluted tuberose absolute (can`t recall the producer`s brand, since there`re some of them and they make slightly different quality products).
    They are identical for my nose.
    The difference could be in the end of drydown (I believe JAR could use some musks for prolonged effect - but maybe not, as BoL is not a monster of sillage).

Mike,
    the natural oils\absolutes and perfume renditions of their live flowers are so different sometimes!
    Tuberose absolute is just one of examples.

Other example that fascinated me half a year ago - the difference of Rose materials (French, Turkish, Bulgarian, Indian, etc., EOs and absolutes, different techniques to get the product). Some of them are geranium-like, some are chocolate-like - they are perfumes by itself, with great development through the time.
    Vetivers are different too - but not so much as roses.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Sur la Plage

Sorry if I de-railed a little, but back to your original question....

I haven't tried Tubereuse Criminelle - I don't know why, I really need to. But I would choose Daphne Guinness over Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. I find it more interesting.

I've been on the look-out a good tubereuse myself. The Daphne Guinnes, the PG and the Histoires de Parfums 'trilogy' are new to me and sound most interesting!

I was at Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido a little over a week ago trying to make up my mind whether I needed a bell jar of TC. (I had sneaked out of the Louvre while my friend was off in the Denon wing ) One thing that crossed my mind was how linear it seemed compared to the other SL scents. (They had the whole range of 'testers' lined up in form of folded test strips.) Somehow I couldn't see myself getting through a whole bell jar. I decided to at least postpone the purchase and, in the mean time, look into the possibility of a tubereuse absolute / oil / attar - like the one Enfleurage has.

As MKK and Santal de Mysore are now in the export line, one might hope that TC will follow. I would very much like to smell TC on someone else - to get an idea of how it smells from a "sillage" distance.
    Last edited by Delmar; 13th January 2010 at 04:17 PM.

Haven't tried any of them Mike, but the Guinness CdG seems like the most interesting of the original three and I'd like to try it sometime, but wow does that HdP Animale sound fabulous! Anyway, good luck with the search and your thread inspired me to order a wee dram of Fracas parfum that I've been eyeing. Four mls will probably last me an eternity and loud and screeching as it is I do crave it ever since sampling the edp at Neimans. Perhaps the extrait concentration will actually be quieter.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    ...your thread inspired me to order a wee dram of Fracas parfum that I've been eyeing. Four mls will probably last me an eternity and loud and screeching as it is I do crave it ever since sampling the edp at Neimans. Perhaps the extrait concentration will actually be quieter.
    Please post your thoughts on it, when you try it. I'd love to know if it's 'quieter'.

My sample of Daphne should be coming any day now. I've seen all sorts of descriptions of it, from candy-floss Fracas to tuberosed Arabie, so I really have no clue what to expect.

From your description on how you feel about the three fragrances, it sounds like Daphne is your best bet. My only question would be - have you tried it in hot weather yet? It sounds like it could be a little too funky when Miami gets steamy, but then again, I haven't tried it yet.

As for Tubereuse Criminelle versus PC Tuberose Gardenia, my bias is - obviously - going to be for the former, though the Lauder certainly beats TC in terms of availability. Perhaps PCTG for winter and TC for summer?

In order to make the "twisted" top notes stay longer I always wear TC under my shirt, so some gets on my clothing. I find this helps sustain the wintergreen into the creamy base.

I also agree with ChickenFreak that PG's Tubereuse Couture is one you should check out if you're seeking a "different" tuberose fragrance. It's also more complex that Tubereuse Criminelle, especially in regard to its floral mixture.

Wow, HdP released a whole tuberose series and no-one thought to tell me?

I can't wait to try these, especially #1 and #3.

Carnal Flower?

I'm not a huge fan of tuberose but was quite taken by Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder. I haven't tried the CdG and the SL was a bit weird in the topnotes, burnt rubber/tire thing. I usually find that interesting but didn't, it just didn't work with the scent.