Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 12 of 12
o
  1. #1

    Default MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    This is in the men's lifestyle section of MSN--what the average man is reading, not perfumistos:

    http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/w...entid=21011881

    I am highly dubious of men who have so little fashion sense that they watch TV shows and read articles on "what to wear," including fragrance.

    I suspect this is all marketing...
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th January 2010 at 12:48 AM.
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

    She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

    "Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26125293.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26125293.jpg"> Hypnôse by Lancôme</a></div>

  2. #2

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I am highly dubious of men who have so little fashion sense that they watch TV shows and read articles on "what to wear," including fragrance.
    . . .as opposed to men who visit a fragrance website and decide what to wear by putting it up for majority vote.
    Last edited by surreality; 12th January 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

  3. #3
    NillaGoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    332

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    All the "profiles" listed in this article sound like insufferable twits. They should all be told to wear <insert your favorite fragrance whipping boy here>.

  4. #4

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    All the "profiles" listed in this article sound like insufferable twits.[/I].
    Agreed!

    The "Academic" loves to eat Indian dishes but refuses to pronounce them correctly? Really?

    He should wear Eau de Gigantic Douche.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    763

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    I am fairly sure that slideshow is verbatim from an esquire circa early 2009. I distinctly remember the academic.

  6. #6

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    What angers me the most about this slide show, apart from the fact that the marketing intention is obvious, is the fact that the subgroups are way too general, way to pigeonholed and include to few categories, so my first disappointment/frustration/objection to this article from MSN is that, even if "properly" done, it would have included hundreds or even thousand subcategories of male fragrance buyers, male fragrance enthusiasts and/or male fragrance connoisseurs and STILL not have covered all existing possible "male archetypes"... and their fragrances of choice. Some of this archetypes might have included (yet would have also allowed crossovers between various types), without being limited too: the dandy (yes, now we're talking!), the faux-dandy, the dandy/faux-dandy with metrosexual habits, the rake without dandy habits, the "shy guy" pretending to be a rake, the fashion dilettante, the academic WITH artistic hobbies, the upwardly mobile academic with yuppie-style financial skills, the boorish yuppie, the refined, well-mannered yuppie, the urban bohemian, the trophy-boy, the average family guy with an above average interest in frags, the snobbish globetrotter (in search of a globalized niche frag market), the "alpha male", the beta- to omega-male disguised as an "alpha male", the enthusiastic globetrotter (taking the fragrance market just as it is, happily and always curious to discover more and thus inventing or perfecting fragrance tourism, as a new subspecies of touristic leisure), the hoarding fragrance collector, the casual/occasional fragrance collector, (thanking to another Basenoter, who I now have the honor to quote, for his witty and wonderfully insightful remark)... even "Cate Blanchett's pool-boy" (and, most likely, the fragrance HE would fancy wearing). Now, I know that any well-written article, having a certain structure and targeted at a wide, yet exigent audience must be condensed, precise and informative, but because of not insisting enough on these many archetypes (and many more, just let your fantasy, your knowledge and your passion for frags express itself freely and soon you will come up with an endless array of such kind of categories), I guess that this article is pretty much "what not to wear" or, rather "what is way too uninteresting, to be worn" to most Basenoters.
    Currently wearing: Baobab by Tesori d'Oriente

  7. #7

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    This is definitely a marketing ploy. Ones only feeble enough to think that this information is scarce. I bet a big amount of fat stacked cash that you could pull up that information for free. They want a sign up fee of $8.00 and extras...Jeez...All for "How to tie a shoe lace properly" tutorials...,Pass big time!

    Cheers and take care!

    - Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

    - Anonymous

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

  8. #8

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    That might be the worst fragrance-related media piece I've ever seen.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

  9. #9

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    What angers me the most about this slide show, apart from the fact that the marketing intention is obvious, is the fact that the subgroups are way too general, way to pigeonholed and include to few categories, so my first disappointment/frustration/objection to this article from MSN is that, even if "properly" done, it would have included hundreds or even thousand subcategories of male fragrance buyers, male fragrance enthusiasts and/or male fragrance connoisseurs and STILL not have covered all existing possible "male archetypes"... and their fragrances of choice. Some of this archetypes might have included (yet would have also allowed crossovers between various types), without being limited too: the dandy (yes, now we're talking!), the faux-dandy, the dandy/faux-dandy with metrosexual habits, the rake without dandy habits, the "shy guy" pretending to be a rake, the fashion dilettante, the academic WITH artistic hobbies, the upwardly mobile academic with yuppie-style financial skills, the boorish yuppie, the refined, well-mannered yuppie, the urban bohemian, the trophy-boy, the average family guy with an above average interest in frags, the snobbish globetrotter (in search of a globalized niche frag market), the "alpha male", the beta- to omega-male disguised as an "alpha male", the enthusiastic globetrotter (taking the fragrance market just as it is, happily and always curious to discover more and thus inventing or perfecting fragrance tourism, as a new subspecies of touristic leisure), the hoarding fragrance collector, the casual/occasional fragrance collector, (thanking to another Basenoter, who I now have the honor to quote, for his witty and wonderfully insightful remark)... even "Cate Blanchett's pool-boy" (and, most likely, the fragrance HE would fancy wearing). Now, I know that any well-written article, having a certain structure and targeted at a wide, yet exigent audience must be condensed, precise and informative, but because of not insisting enough on these many archetypes (and many more, just let your fantasy, your knowledge and your passion for frags express itself freely and soon you will come up with an endless array of such kind of categories), I guess that this article is pretty much "what not to wear" or, rather "what is way too uninteresting, to be worn" to most Basenoters.
    LOL, Ken! This is a great post! This shows what the non-frangrance connoisseurs think of buying scent. Such stereotypes. Again, I think this is just a means of advertising scent to your average man. All the various permutations of the dandy...the faux dandy... LOL!

    "The Considerate Rogue" is actually hilarious when one thinks of the rogues and rakes of bygone times. Sweetly sniffing a baby (which we presume he has fathered) is not likely if he is truly a rogue, as he would most likely leave the mother and child in search of a new, fresh woman to sport with. (The gorgeous Colonel Anson seduced the very-married Lady Ellenbourough, got her pregnant and then abandoned her. This lead for her husband to sue for divorce...a VERY nasty arrangement with the nobility in the 1820s.)

    This image of man-with-baby seems to be a fairy tale or romantic ideal for some young women, as you can see here one pin-up man is dandling a baby: (Pin-ups in underwear: MAY NOT BE WORK SAFE.)

    http://www.urbandecay.com/categories...etLipGloss.cfm

    Pool boy, indeed! (Still laughing...)
    "That lover which is like fragrance
    Whose voice is as beautiful as Urdu.

    She who hides in the flowers
    you can only find her from her fragrance."

    "Chaiyya Chaiyya," from the film, "Dil Se."
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26125293.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26125293.jpg"> Hypnôse by Lancôme</a></div>

  10. #10
    zztopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the Dirty South
    Posts
    6,672

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    Kudos to the article for recommending TF Italian Cypress...you all gotta admit, you didn't see that coming from an article intended to be for the 'every man' ..
    -

  11. #11

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    I am fairly sure that slideshow is verbatim from an esquire circa early 2009. I distinctly remember the academic.
    You're right. I saw it too. I thought they were some funny fragrance stereotypes.

  12. #12

    Default Re: MSN's take on men's fragrance: a slideshow

    They suggest Diesel 'Only The Brave' ? Yikes




Similar Threads

  1. looking to buy my first men's fragrance
    By peterl in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12th September 2008, 09:42 AM
  2. Most Expensive Perfumes (Article + Slideshow)
    By godzilla in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11th February 2006, 09:06 PM
  3. #2 MEN'S ORIENTAL FRAGRANCE?
    By stuigi in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 7th June 2005, 01:07 PM
  4. Most Expensive Perfumes (Article + Slideshow)
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM
  5. Status of YSL men's fragrance in US?
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000