Code of Conduct

Default Xtreme Scents: The Sin of Too Much Scent

The Sin of Too Much Scent
    by Chris Peterson, 01 February 2003.

What's all this yakkity-yak I hear about the sin of wearing too much fragrance? This is a problem that is simply overblown. Seems like you can't get away from the "wearing too much" issue whenever the subject of cologne comes up. Sometimes people are so afraid of "too much" that it's the only thing they talk about regarding scent...

http://www.basenotes.net/content/118...Too-Much-Scent
    Last edited by Grant; 2nd January 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Default Re: Xtreme Scents: The Sin of Too Much Scent

I hope everyone does listen to the author of the GQ article, so that when they wear a timid half-spray of AdG I get smight them with my over-application of Angel Men.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Article: The Sin of Too Much Scent

The article html looks funny...

should be fine now. Having lot's of fun transferring old articles to the new system. Bit of a learning curve!

Hello, Grant! The site makeover looks terrific and works well (not that I ever did anything adventurous enough to challenge the old one). Thanks for your hard work!

Related to the topic (maybe should be a new thread?) I'd like to know if people really get headaches from fragrance, or is that just an exaggeration? I know that gasoline vapors and mixtures like bleach and ammonia can do serious physical damage, but I cant imagine a fragrance material having an actual physical effect. Or maybe it's just me, since I have never gotten a headache from fragrance. Gotten really irritated, yes, but an actual headache, no. Please tell us your experiences.

headaches, nausea, twitching facial muscles.. they're all real. I've experienced them all. I've even known some people who have thrown up due to (over-application of) a scent.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 3rd January 2010 at 01:18 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    headaches, nausea, twitching facial muscles.. they're all real. I've experienced them all. I've even known some people who have thrown up due to (over-application of) a scent.
    If I can be a bit persistent here...is it overapplication that causes this, or a particular frag? Does it happen every time?

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Some people are sensitive to particular chemicals. In these cases, even one spray of something might be "too much." Some people have multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), and may find that all fragrances bother them immensely. Many chemicals used in fragrances are known to be hazardous to human health. Some are carcinogenic, some are neurotoxins, etc.

I love fragrances, but there are days when even my favorites bother me. Sometimes this is due to accidental or misjudged overapplication, other times it's.. something different. It is quite possible that nutritional/vitamin deficiencies and all manner of things contribute to just how sensitive we are to particular compounds, not to mention the power of association. Imagine having had a terrible experience where you somehow spilled gasoline all over yourself, only to soon thereafter encounter a scent (Fahrenheit, anyone? ) with a strong gasoline accord. The power of association alone can trigger feelings of nausea and worse.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thanks for the details. I have never heard any discussion of MCS here in Japan. Although people are generally very judicious about using scent. Or it may be that people don't like to talk about unpleasant subjects. I have never heard of Chinese restaurant syndrome/MSG sensitivity here, either. MSG is a whole nother can of beans, but it was developed here because people noticed that seaweed broth had a subtle vibe that other broth materials didn't. So they first extracted MSG as a natural product from seaweed. The synthesized version came later, maybe the product available here is still the natural kind, I don't know. Fragrance seems to be undergoing a similar transformation.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The article html looks funny...

Yes, I had a hard time reading it.
    Anyway, I find that even though I do apply a lot of perfume- it fades quite quickly or it settles into a skin scent with the exception of a few - namely Shalimar, Poison ,Eau de Soir ,E L Tuberose Gardenia,Opium .........
    I admit if I am in a car, going on a windy road and I have overdone the Opium, I would feel a tad sick but otherwise ,it's really not a problem .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

A friend (and former editor) gets terrible headaches from all sorts of fragrance. Almost everything. She's no hypochondriac, either. I just don't wear any when I'm working with her. Though after a lot of subtle questioning I did come up with Oscar (Oscar de la Renta) body lotion which, abracadabra!, did the trick. But everything else, from Encre Noir to Habit Rouge via Mitsouko, Dzing!, Amouage and Eau Sauvage, sets her off. Weird: I have NO IDEA why Oscar came to mind. Some kind of subliminal parallel processing gimmick in my brain, I expect.

However... that's not the point I wanted to make. I just wanted to say the comment about the guy at the party was charming, humane and, in the nicest sense, kindly. I write other men off rather too readily and it was good to be reminded that I'm wrong to do so & that we're all in the same boat in the end. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, the other guy, however he may strike us, is just doing his best and hoping to have a good day. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    My mother has experienced some of these symptoms and others from people's fragrances. Definitely real.

This was a nice check against the fear of over-spraying. I know discretion is advised when you'll be with someone who truly is bothered by fragrance. Bummer when it's someone close to you.

A couple of different experiences as food for thought:

(1) A family member who gets mild headaches– but only from some scents, and only when they're first applied.

(2) An older gentleman who gets real migraines from all colognes, perfumes, and even from some fragrance-free skin care products. Everything, that is, except from some fragrant Pond's cream and the aftershave he's been using for 30 years.

How much is purely physical and how much is subjective? Thoughts?