Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood


  2. #2
    Dimitrios's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Beyond the Blue Mountains
    Posts
    3,237

    Default

    this is great news !

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, I'm looking forward to sniffing it.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood

    ...isn't it good Norwegian Wood?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

  5. #5

    Default

    Does Neiman, Saks, or Sephora carry it ?

  6. #6

    Default

    @silverbullet. I don't think anyone carries it yet. Will update if/when I find out.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood

    Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    ...isn't it good Norwegian Wood?
    Wait for the flanker 'This Bird Has Flown' ...

  8. #8

    Default

    I wonder if Palm Beach Beauté has realized that "kanøn" doesn't mean anything in norwegian... The closest you get is "kanon" which means "cannon" or "incredibly drunk". Why not "tre" (wood), "bjørk" (birch) or "skog" (forest)?

  9. #9

  10. #10

    Default

    For a Norwegian the name looks like a spelling mistake. If they plan on launching it in the Scandinavian countries they better get rid of the slash thru the O, at least then it makes (some) sense.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood

    Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    For a Norwegian the name looks like a spelling mistake. If they plan on launching it in the Scandinavian countries they better get rid of the slash thru the O, at least then it makes (some) sense.
    Kanøn in Danish means "Canoe"... perhaps "Norwegian Canoe Wood"?
    Kanøn in Swedish means "Gun".... weirder still...
    And doesn't Kanøn in Norwegian mean "Canon"??

    Yeah, I think this is just a bunch of logo and packaging creatives throwing random " / 's " (slashes) around in an attempt to make the whole design aesthetic more Scandinavian. And we Northerners are left scratching our heads... lol!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 13th January 2010 at 10:58 PM.

  12. #12

    Default

    This sounds kinda cool.

  13. #13

    Default

    Kanøn in Danish means "Canoe"
    Maybe it was a nod to Dana's Canoe!

  14. #14
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,396

    Default Re: Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Kanøn in Danish means "Canoe"... perhaps "Norwegian Canoe Wood"?
    Kanøn in Swedish means "Gun".... weirder still...
    And doesn't Kanøn in Norwegian mean "Canon"??

    Yeah, I think this is just a bunch of logo and packaging creatives throwing random " / 's " (slashes) around in an attempt to make the whole design aesthetic more Scandinavian. And we Northerners are left scratching our heads... lol!
    This is called "linguistic fetishism", these kind of brands do not convey any linguistic meaning, just associations with the countries where that language is spoken. Thus, in this context don't ask for any meaning for "Kanøn".
    Last edited by Pollux; 25th January 2010 at 11:33 AM.

  15. #15
    DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    18,067
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood

    So...sort of a Norweigan Would? I am going to try it based on Grant's post
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

  16. #16

    Default Re: Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    This is called "linguistic fetishism", these kind of brands do not convey any linguistic meaning, just associations with the countries where that language is spoken. Thus, in this context don't ask for any meaning for "Kanøn".
    Sort of like Häagen-Dazs.

    And it's not just linguistic fetishism but also Beatles fetishism. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Norway, nothing to do with canoes, nothing to do with the Beatles. Just a name with all sorts of allusory resonances for customer appeal.

    "Calms the soul?" "A perfect state of natural harmony and masculine presence?" Somehow, I don't think that's what the song is all about....
    Last edited by Doctor Mod; 25th January 2010 at 02:39 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Article: New men's fragrance: Kanøn Norwegian Wood

    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Does Neiman, Saks, or Sephora carry it ?
    It's carried by some of the online fragrance stores (fragrancex etc.).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th January 2010, 07:09 AM
  2. Article: Custo Barcelona launch men's fragrance
    By Grant in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 9th January 2010, 11:28 AM
  3. Kanøn - Bad bottle?
    By atrac in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd December 2007, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •