Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Your 1st Scent

Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Your 1st Scent

Quote Originally Posted by LaBoheme View Post
    My first was Rive Gauche by YSL(EdT?) I think the canister really attracted me initially, then I loved the scent. I was in junior high school. My mother was a perfume fan and great enabler. I think my second perfume was Opium.
    You have great taste.

Mine was Azzaro pour Homme at fifteen. And I loved it.

I may have had some axe body spray or old spice body spray.

First real fragrance was Kenneth Cole reaction from gf at the time. I actually loved it, still remember the melon aquatic note. Soon after, I got tommy, but didnt like that one quite as much.

Stopped wearing cologne for a long time, and then recently I started a wardrobe change, and along with it, I decided to wear cologne again. The tommy and Kenneth Cole bottles were so old and unkept that I had to throw them away because they smelled bad.

Bought a few cheap bottles first like Claiborne sport, Ferrari black. Then I found some YouTube channels, fragrantica, and then basenotes. After that, I went for animale animale and loved that.. Added ck one, then burberry London, Azzaro chrome... Rest is history.

I began with a bottle of Polo green and Azzaro.

The first scent I've ever put on was Hugo Woman from the first sample I've ever purchased. I loved it. Funny enough two tiny dabs from the vial made me overtly concious about my wearing a scent. Now I spray with abandon and as long as it doesn't disturb others I feel great in it.

I think the second (a sample again) was Extravagance d'Amarige, I did enjoy the pumpkin note in it.

Balafre brun by lancome, my mum present for the opening of springtime 1983 !

My first scent was a snaffled dab of my mum's Miss Dior, which which I am still in love, but the first fragrance that I ever bought was Lutece. My mum took me to a selection of shops to try out different perfumes and that was the one that I decided I liked at the time, and even then I was aware that the scent smelled different just after application to when it had been on the skin for a while so I always made sure that it had been applied a good hour before going out with it on.

After Lutece I bought KL and Ysatis, which looking back in it were very brave buys for a young teenager.

My grandmother used to give us tiny bottles of 4711 when we were small - at least, my sister and I. She was German, and she used it in a kind of all-purpose way as a refresher. (My mother did too, although not so much any more.) I loved those tiny bottles.

I remember being given Muguet de Bois when I was -- ten maybe? by an aunt (I didn't really like it, but I used it anyway, because Perfume!). A school friend gave me Love's Baby Soft early in high school, and I used that too. (I remember it smelling like baby powder, not particularly exciting, but inoffensive.) Someone else, later in high school, gave me her barely-touched bottle of Obsession, which she didn't like. I hated it too, and it made me sneeze, but I wore that because A Boy! had said he liked it, adding to the general pollution of Obsession round the school hallways. (It did not, in case you were wondering, work with That Boy, or any boy, for me.)

The first things I bought for myself were various oils and things from import vendors. I liked sandalwood and patchouli, a lot, and they were dirt cheap then. And then in my twenties, a friend and I both fell in love with Calyx, and we used to buy bottles of that and split them, being, as we were, poor.

Estée Lauder Beautiful. I gifted myself a body powder to my fifteenth birthday. The EdP splash bottle followed.

My mother bought me Annick Goutal Eau de Charlotte when I was maybe 13 or 14. I did not like it but wanted to wear perfume so much. She had quite the lunchtime Saks shopping problem, which allowed me to try many fine things. The next time she took me to Saks, I smelled Eau d'Hadrien and wished she had bought me that instead of Eau de Charlotte! Now I can appreciate the chocolateyness of Eau de Charlotte and might even wear it, but I cannot be sure that it hasn't turned in the 22 intervening years.

First one I bought for myself was ck One. If this forum had the head under a paper bag smilie, I'd use that here.

Lacoste Pour Homme EDT. Still have it, 60% of the bottle is left however the top notes have spoiled.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger - loved it at the time and ended up handing it on to my younger brother. Now, I think it's collecting dust somewhere.

I received a bottle of Evening In Paris as a birthday gift when I was eight. I don't recall whether or not I liked the smell, but I remember feeling incredibly glamorous wearing it (of course, the more I applied, the more glamorous I felt!). Sadly, my parents deemed me a source of indoor air pollution and confiscated the bottle.

The first scent I chose for myself was Anais Anais. I was around fifteen at the time. I first smelled it on a classmate of mine and, although it was never as lovely on me as it was on her (my chemistry turned it shrill whereas hers emphasized the woody base notes), continued to wear it throughout high school.

Basenotes Junkie

First ever? Joop when I was about 12.

First designer perfume - Issey Miyake - L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme.

I'm still trying to decide my first niche fragrance.

I remember buying stuff like Jovan Musk and Blue Stratos when I was a teenager but the first real fragrance was Egoiste in 1997, which was a gift from my sister. I loved it. Shame it's been reformulated - I had another bottle in the last couple of years and it was nothing like the original.

Interesting thread. My mom had some different Avon fragrances that I wore as a preteen. I think Moon Drops or Blue Jeans was the first thing I bought for myself. I also had a Christmas gift at about age 12 that I treasured, a set of French mini perfumes. No money for perfumes for many years so mostly wore Timeless and Tabu and still like them. My first "expensive" perfume was Estee Lauder's Knowing which I still adore.

Basenotes Member

This was my first overall cologne, received as a gift during freshman year of HS iirc (maybe earlier).

My first fragrance bought was below, also in HS

Attached Images Attached Images

Back in like 6th grade i bought moves by adidas

When I was probably 9 I bought either Taboo or Incognito, can't remember which. I do remember that even then I knew it wasn't so great, but I proudly strut around like a peacock at my fanciness.

First "real" fragrance purchase was Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la route de Madagascar. Got one of the last 4 bottles in the US. I like to think my tastes have improved, but I still have that same strut.