Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your 1st Scent

Eva Pasco

Default Re: Your 1st Scent

The first fragrance ever gifted to me during childhood from my grandmother was that of Apple Blossom. I also received Evening in Paris by the time I was twelve. I don't recall the very first scent I purchased for myself.

The first one I picked out for myself was Obsession for Men, EDT, back in the '80s. I remember seeing these ads in Playboy when I was too young to be legally looking at Playboy.

I suppose I aspired to be a "man of the body."
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

For me it was Tuscany per Donna, followed by EL's Beautiful. I don't remember the exact age but I was probably around 12. I also played with my mothers' Sung by Alfred Sung and in high school moved on to CK Escape and Cool Water Woman.

I used to get those Avon solid fragrance novelty pins and demisticks as a child, but the first fragrance I remember by name was "Her Prettiness" by Avon - it came in a roll-on in the shape of a castle tower. I also remember "Flower Talk," "Miss Lollipop" and "Delicate Daisies," all by Avon. I still wear Avon fragrances.

My first real "adult" perfume was Caron's Infini which I received when I was 13 years old. My mother brought it back from Paris for me and I was so thrilled I thought I was royalty! And the first fragrance I selected and bought for myself is still one of my all-time favorites, the original Calvin Klein in the burgundy box, which happened to be my sotd.

first scent i wore and fell in love with was jovan musk. Then tommy hilfiger in high school..

My first fragrance that I bought was Curve Wave. I barely used it and I am looking to get rid of it!

L'eau d'Issey was my first, my dad wears it. Still one of my favourites!

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

My first real scent was ╔go´ste EdT..!

Damn, I think my first scent was either Preferred Stock, Gravity, or Gap No. 56 but I can't remember for sure

VS for Him

My first designer scent.
    I'm afraid it is JOOP!
    It wasn't love from the first sniff, but I like it now. Used to do 2 sprays every day in the winter. What a headache ! I have a big bottle of this stuff (125ml). This must be surely the strongest and longest lasting designer EDT ever, lasting 2 days ! You need to do 3 showers to get rid of it.

Versace man eau fraiche about two months ago. I'm 23 so I got into it late, growing up my dad hated cologne so I'm fascinated by it now that I've moved out. I've been hooked ever since

In order, if memory serves:
    Pierre Cardin
    Halston Z14
    Polo

Cool Re: Your 1st Scent

I'm sure my Mom sprinkled Florida Water (1908) on my head as she pushed the stroller through the park but I don't remember, I was just a little baby.

Next came 4711, carried on the folds of my handkerchief to Sunday Mass.
    Despite this, there just might be a God.

Finally, I put my foot down at 12 and wore Bay Rum, like Dad.

I've stuck with Bay Rum on and off through most of my life--

Some experimented with LSD in the 60's and headshops also carried cheap musk and civet oils that by today's standards were quite good. I mean the frags, not the drug.

Then in my early 20's She Who Must Be Obeyed commanded me to wear Chaps; so macho rugged. She dug it.

I got a bottle of Aramis as a gift from my best friend at college, and this also met with SWMBO's approbation. Devin was bit of a disappointment, though.

Flash forward to 2004 when some babe at work told me she loved this leather scent on her BF. it was John Varvatos.
    The combo of the boring job, the other co-workers and their (often bizarre) recommendations, and the fact I couldn't afford the upkeep of my vintage Jaguar, nor outrageously expensive dinner dates anymore
    (Gypsies, play on!)
    Got me into this escape/ addiction.

So which was my first, really? I'd have to say JV, since within 6 months after I bought it my wardrobe had multiplied several times.

Can I get absolution now?

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

The first perfume I can remember wearing was a cast off from my Mum of Anais Anais.

The first scent I ever bought for myself was when I was on my first ever holiday without my parents. I was 15 and I was in Hastings on the south coast of the UK. It was Yardley's Petunia and I would cradle it like a baby. Haven't smelled it since.

First scent I can remember purchasing was Rapport EDT spray from Burtons. That must have been a good 20+ years ago, or it seems like it. I can't even remember what it smells like.

Last edited by socalwoman; 14th March 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spam

I think it was CK Obsession

Egoiste Platinum by Chanel

My first Scent was a tiny bottle of 4711 brought to me by Santa in my Christmas stocking, I was five years old. My first purchase was the Ultra Lemony Jean Nate at age eight or nine, followed by Love's Baby Soft for seventh grade, I thought I had really arrived....I remember them all so vividly!

I don't remember how old I was, but when I was a little girl my mom got a bottle of Escada and she didn't like it so she gave it to me. It came in a heart shaped bottle and I remember feeling quite grown up with my heart shaped bottle of perfume.

And technically this wasn't mine, but when I was a little girl my mom got a gift set of YSL's Paris and to this day, I think the smell of that soap was glorious. That YSL soap was probably my first exposure to the bath and body stuff I would later become obsessed with.

First scent ever was a gift, Roots Uniscent, essentially a CK One ripoff although slightly woodier. Got it when I was 12 and loved it so much I only wore it on special occasions. Now Roots has replaced it with the similar but duller Roots Spirit. I might track down a bottle of the Uniscent for nostalgia's sake.

The first scent I ever bought myself was technically Armani Code (Black Code back then), which was intended for my dad but I somehow failed to notice that the eBay item I was bidding on was actually for a .17-ounce miniature. Bought my dad a large bottle, kept the mini, and fell in love. It was only last year that I started really getting into fragrances, spurred on by my impulse purchase of the limited-edition CK Be at a drugstore. I looked it up on the Internet, discovered Now Smell This and other fragrance blogs and sites (including BN), and my latest obsession was begun.

mine was definitely Adidas moves when I was 14, in my first relationship, and just leaving freshman year in high school

My first one was Lancome Poeme. I was enchanted by it back than, bought it after I read a poetic review about it in a magazine. I guess that had a placebo effect on me, cause after a while, I got bored of it, it's ok but boring, I still have a lot remeining in the same first bottle.

I have nice memmories about it, cause back than my financial situation was a bit difficult, and I really really couldn't aford it. It meant a lot to me and still does because of that, it reminds me of my difficult times. That's why I never gave away the bottle. I also still have the box. Oh, I remember how I used to see it as my little treasure, and that yellow box seemed soooo beautiful to me.And romantic Were nice times though... I think that when one has little money, it lives simple joys of life more intense. Now I can aford to buy perfumes, but none will ever be the same.
    Last edited by w3pearl; 21st March 2010 at 02:45 AM.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Blog Entries

Tabu.
    I was 13 or 14. It was the first bottle I saved to buy myself. I think that it might have been a sort of rebellion against all the Yardley perfumes given to me from about age 8. I remember the Tabu bottle was huge and had no sprayer. I'd wear it on weekends back when they had Blue Light Disco's for under age kids (the blue light refers to police lights) and when walking around the mall with my friends. And when I say wear it, I practically bathed in it. Yeah you heard me ... I swathed myself in TABU at THAT AGE! I can't believe it myself.

One thing it seemed to do was make all similar scents revolt me in the future. I now wince when I sniff Obsession, Youth Dew, Cinnibar, Opium and their ilk. I cannot abide perfumes like that on my skin no matter how yummy they smell from the bottle. So basically, I didn't really get away with wearing Tabu - it scarred me for life~!

I've been meaning to post my 'perfume story' in a blog but it's soooooooooo long ... I wonder if Basenotes can handle it ... lol
    Kal

One thing it seemed to do was make all similar scents revolt me in the future. I now wince when I sniff Obsession, Youth Dew, Cinnibar, Opium and their ilk. I cannot abide perfumes like that on my skin no matter how yummy they smell from the bottle. So basically, I didn't really get away with wearing Tabu - it scarred me for life~!
    OMG! Me too, I don't think I will ever overcome it

The first thing I'd ever put on my body was some black bottle of cologne my father had when I was very young, I sprayed it all over myself while mom and dad weren't looking and the next thing I remember is my mother holding her nose and shooing me into the bath. As far as first owned scents go, it was a bottle of Curve my father bought me. I think the main reason I got hooked on fragrances in the first place was the feeling I got when given complements wearing that cologne. Without it, I'd probably smell like Lever 2000 and Axe Body Spray right now instead of natural deodorant and a fresh smelling new Zegna fragrance.

I'd forgotten about this little guy, 'til I came across a pic, but this was my first perfume. Avon Moonwind. I think I was far more taken with the bottle than the perfume! So cute though, he must have been a Xmas present :)

The first perfume I bought myself, as an avowed and hardcore perfume hater, was Mugler's Angel. I think it was self defense, like bringing a gun to a knife fight!

Calvin Klein Eternity for Men. I can't recall why I chose it over the other fragrances. This was back in '98.

I believe the first scent I bought for myself was a tiny bottle of Jovan Musk. I do recall draining every single drop of it.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

My first one was Balafre

+1 to Adidas Moves. I don't even remember how I got it. I think it was a Christmas gift set. I loved it so much. I had never even been exposed to any form of fragrance other than my dad's Brut and English Leather, both of which I knew I hated.

I soon bought two mini's thanks to some magazine ads. They were the male editions of Lucky You and Candies. I didn't like either one. Lucky You was OK - at best, but I hated Candies.

My first "major" purchase was Kenneth Cole Black when I first started dating this girl. I pretty much thought I was super cool because of it, too. A couple years later I found K.C. Reaction and fell in love. It still, to this day, is my favorite males scent. That's really where my journey began.

When I was about 4 years old, I remember my grandfather with a small bottle of Halston I-12. That's what I first smelled as far as cologne goes.

The first one I bought for myself was Calvin Klein Man, blindly. I liked the bottle.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Quorum, followed a few days later by Aramani Eau PH.

Still two of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    The first one I picked out for myself was Obsession for Men, EDT, back in the '80s. I remember seeing these ads in Playboy when I was too young to be legally looking at Playboy.

I suppose I aspired to be a "man of the body."
    This was my first frag too, given to me by my uncle at age 16/17 i still love it today.

Adidas Moves. My aunt gave it to me for Christmas.

Really first one was Hawaiian White Ginger demi stick and Honeysuckle demi stick, that all I was allowed to have

First purchase of my own I believe was Ambush by Dana

CK One, purchased it with my allowance when I was 14 or 15, can't remember, I carried the bottle in my backpack, and the kids in school would beg me for a spray . Thinking of it now, a great name for a first scent - One.

Before I could even drive, I decided I needed some Safari. Haven't smelled that stuff in many, many years.

I got started with Aqua di Gio, actually. Boring, I know.

Blog Entries

My first bottle was Black Suede by Avon, because my cousin had just become an Avon lady and talked me into it. In hindsight, it was basically a cheap copy of Caron's Third Man, which must have smelled might strange on a high schooler. Though, truth be known, I was a mighty strange high schooler...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

My first fragrance ever bought was Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur when I was 14 or 15, I think. I haven't smelled this for many years, but I think I'd still like it. It's possible that it's been reformulated to a different scent by now though...

My first frag, if memory serves me well, was Jil Sander's Feeling Man and oh, I was a very young teenager... now "a couple of" years later "Fourreau Noir" by Serge Lutens gives me this deja-vu feeling.

Aramis Tuscany when I was about 13.

I had a gift set of Jean Nate as a kid -- I was probably somewhere around 10. Then in high school I accumulated gift bottles of Jovan Island Gardenia, Chanel No. 5 (it was wasted on me! I never wore it, makes me so sad now), Jovan Sculptura, Chantilly, and L'Air de Temps.

I don't really remember what my first fragrance was but my mom used to collect samples when she went to the department store and she gave me most of them...I definitely remember a good-sized sample of Chamade, and a small sample of Niki de Saint Phalle that I thought was the sexiest thing ever at the tender age of 12 or so...Once I brought my collection of samples to school and one of them broke in my desk and stank up the room and my teacher got SO MAD (wow I haven't thought about that in years!) Recently I went back and smelled both of them after years away and an obsession was reborn!

Mine was Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren. Now I dislike it because it fades away quite quickly and smells a bit artificial in my opinion.

I remembe my first scent to be from Body shop. Can't remember the name but it smelled like mangos! mmmm haha

My first fragrance was a bottle of Coty Muguet de Bois that I received as a Christmas gift from my great-aunt when I was about 9 or 10. I think she chose it for me because my birthday is in May and lily of the valley is the flower for may. In any case, I loved it and felt very grown up when I wore it. The first scents I bought for myself were Blue Jeans (Shulton, 1970's, NOT Versace), Love's Baby Soft, and Emeraude. Again, there was the May connection (emerald is the birthstone for May), and Baby Soft and Blue Jeans were very popular teen scents in the late 70's. The first real grown up scents I bought were Arpege and Chanel No. 5. My mother had these and in my mind, they epitomized the smell of a grown woman. They are also timeless classics and I still love them.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hi 50 Roses and welcome to Basenotes! You must have more roses than I do, Which ones do you grow?

I'm smiling because Muguet des Bois was the first fragrance I asked for, at age 13.

I've posted before about how my grandmother gave me a small toilet-shaped bottle with a hinged lid that she'd bought from a store selling gag gifts, had drained out the "toilet water" and replaced it with Tabu. I was 9 or 10.

Well, when I went to Florida in April to clean out my Mom's house, guess what I found? And here it is:
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th May 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Wink Re: Your 1st Scent

Yes, I chose my screen name because I really do have 50 roses (more or less) in my garden. A few of my favorites: Belinda's Dream, Mrs. B. R. Cant, Bon Silene, Zephirine Drouhin, Smith's Parish, Ducher, Hot Cocoa, Knockout, Gourmet Popcorn. I have Zephirine Drouhin along my patio fence, and during the spring bloom, my patio not only looks beautiful, it smells beautiful. No worries about getting pricked by thorns either. The only David Austin rose I have so far is Mary Rose. Mostly I have antique or modern landscape roses--easy care, disease resistant. Most of the antiques also smell good (and I do like things that smell good!).

Tabu on a 9 or 10-year-old? I wouldn't have thought to give that one to someone so young. Then again, I guess that is what grandparents are for--to let you have stuff and do stuff your parents won't. MdB, though, seems like a good choice.

OMG, I love that toilet water toilet! Adorable!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

@ 50 Roses:

I've been curious about what "Zepherine Drouhin" smells like for years. Maybe someday I'll see it at a rose garden.

We have-- or had--30 bushes, but with winter kill there are 1 or 2 less. I think.

Okay, time to count:
    3 climbing "Don Juan"(hybrid tea),
    1 each of "Mister Lincoln", "First Prize", "Midas Touch", "Chrysler Imperial" (all hybrid teas) and "Gertrude Jekyll" (D. Austin);
    2 of "Roserie de l'Hay" (rugosa, very fragrant);
    3 each of "Full Sail" (a white sport of the hybrid tea "New Zealand"), "Fragrant Plum" (h.t.), "Abraham Darby" (Austin) and "Graham Thomas" (Austin);
    at least 3 of Austin's "Evelyn" (3 more transplanted ones in the back which were scrawny, and I haven't checked yet to see if they have survived!),
    3 of "Double Delight" (h.t.)...

...so that's 28 at least, and maybe 31! I would like to plant 3 "Pat Austin"s where our 3 "Elina"s died, but hubby's shoulder hurts. Maybe next year.

Actually, where the 3 "Elina" grafts died, we have 3 bushes from the root stock. Probably "Dr. Huey." But I don't count those in the total as they are non-fragrant.

Yes, Tabu was an interesting choice for a child-- but I loved it anyway! My grandmother didn't let convention stop her.

We must be about the same age judging by our early exposure to MdB? I'm 54....
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 18th May 2010 at 08:32 PM.

My father's Eternity bottle was my first real scent. The 90s passed through me like a cold breeze right now. My mom bought me Versace Baby Blue jeans by later on.
    Last edited by GekiGAngerII; 18th May 2010 at 11:28 PM.

My first scent was Hugo by Hugo Boss. It was year 1995 if I remember right. I bought it, because it was relatively new fragrance on the market and one of my friend used it and it smelled unbelievable good when I got a whiff with his bottle. Nowadays, opinions may have changed...
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

I think it was Eclat d'Arpege Lanvin Perfume and then I was in love with it!
    Nowadays I find it a rather dull girly perfume!

I'm pretty sure that my fist cologne ever was Calvin Klein Eternity.

Crave by Calvin Klein when I was 14. My friend had it and I basically just copied it off him.

>.<

Blog Entries

As I recall I believe my first fragrance that I purchased was Canoe by Dana.

The first fragrance I ever wore was purchased as a Christmas present from my grandmother it was a Loves gift set with a lemon, rain scented, and the original powder/ floral baby soft scent. The first "real" perfume I ever purchased had to be Poison, I still love Poison but I have learned to be much less liberal applying over the years...I was guilty of being one of the "poison clouds" of the 80's era. Young girls should be educated on wearing such strong scents

one of the adidas edt's.. ice dive!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M