Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Your 1st Scent

Just Starting Out Sponsors

Default Re: Your 1st Scent

I can't remember for sure, but my aunt gave me a bottle of the original Calvin Klein when I was really young, it came out before obsession, then there was a bottle of Arpege and Youth Dew from Mom, Still have youth dew, it kicks socks across street, still stuff

Splashes of my dad's Old Spice as a teenager (and I'm a girl). My first real perfume was Chanel no. 19. Maybe I bought it because I was 19 at the time, I don't know. But I still remember how incredibly sophisticated it made me feel.

love this thread. I remember sneaking some of my brother's aspen when I was in mid school. He got some Navy as a gift and I claimed it lol.

First scent I actually bought was from anchor blue when I was in high school.

Chanel No. 5 it was a gift from my godmother before that I just got body sprays or used my moms

YSL Pour Homme

My first scent, like many peoples,' was a gift at some point. I don't remember from whom, but it was the first scent I had to work with. It was a small 10ml splash bottle of RL Polo Sport EDT. I got into using it in 7th grade because I didn't want to smell like gym class all day. It's honestly something I would buy again.

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur was mine. Probably dating myself! And yes, I wore polyester in public, had shoes with 6 inch heels, and danced to Donna Summers and Alicia Bridges all night long.

At the time, I found the bottle strangely evocative. If only I knew then what I know now, everything would have made a lot more sense to me.

-T

Blog Entries

l used to get part-used bottles of scent from our local "jumble sales" as a child way back in the seventies, mostly Avon stuff l think. The first real gem l remember from that time was Elizabeth Arden's Memoire Cherie, what a find that was! My first "grown-up" perfume was Magie Noire by Lancome, bought for me by my then boyfriend for my 18th birthday. l was working as a chambermaid in a large hotel at the time, & l used to sniff any bottles that the guests had lying around in their rooms! That was the first one l fell in love with & felt like "me", although strictly speaking it was probably way too mature for an 18-year-old! l recently got a vintage bottle off eBay, & l can't tell you how delightful it is to be reunited with this old friend, bliss!

Mine was Eau Sauvage by CD, I still love it and wear on occasion.

It was Old Spice. Dad would put it on me after he shaved when I was a wee tot and continued to do so into my early adolescence. Now that life's half spent, I've always had a bottle of it somewhere. Always.

When i was about 7 or 8 i remember my mum going for a cocktail party and the air smelled beautiful around the house. when she left i snuck in her room and went wild with the perfume on her dresser. I went to bed wafting Estee lauders beautiful+Guerlains Samsara and Fidji by Guy Laroche. Needless to say she wasnt impressed with my discovery of scent.

When i turned 15 i got my own bottle: Cerutti Image-which i still have a tiny bit of, just for the memories

My first perfume was Sun Moon Stars. It was a gift from my father when I was 13. I had previously purchased a vial of perfume oil, the scent of which so reminded him of his mother that I was forbidden from wearing it ever again. I still have the oil, hidden away in the back of my childhood dresser.

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's I always had a great aunt who was doing the Avon thing. So I received lots of novelty bottles of Wild Country, some tukey shaped, some pheasant shaped, some like classic roadsters, a VW bug, and so on. My mom also bought me a bottle of Jovan Sport Scent when I was a young teen.

The first cologne I picked out was Crisp Lime by Avon. I loved that one. A few years later, one of the department stores was going out of business. They had a 90% off clearance....I bought Calvin by Calvin Klein (I miss that one), Halston Z-14, Azzaro PH, Paco Rabanne PH, PS by Paul Sebastian.....all for a ridiculously small amount of money. I think that's where the fragrance bug bit me.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

My first fragrance was Hugo Boss- Dark blue. I received it as a gift from father Christmas =D
    Current favourites:

1. YSL- La nuit de l'homme
    2. JPG- Le Male
    3. YSL- Body Kouros
    4. Hermes- Terre d'hermes

Quote Originally Posted by Kadora View Post
    My first perfume was Sun Moon Stars. It was a gift from my father when I was 13. I had previously purchased a vial of perfume oil, the scent of which so reminded him of his mother that I was forbidden from wearing it ever again. I still have the oil, hidden away in the back of my childhood dresser.
    Oh,I had a laugh at this!White Shoulders may not cross my home's threshold because it was my mother's signature scent.Who says those were the good old days,anyway?!Our scent associations are so funny!

And,on topic,said White Shoulders would have been one of my first bottles of my own,along with Emeraude and my first true scent love,the original Heaven Sent.This was in the early 80's;it seems young girls went for so much more complicated scents back then than they do now.

Diesel Zero Plus when it first came out. I was 8 or something? sure I had some Disney perfumes before that which I only bought for the fancy bottles, and ones I used from my parents collection. That's just the first one I remember.

I remember going inside the medicine closet in my dads restroom and sneaking a few splashes of the original Brut For Men when I was around 6 or 7 years old. Of course I reeked of it since I had no idea how to apply a fragrance! However, it's safe to say that I was the most mature smelling 6 year old at school!
    Then when I was 13, I received my first cologne for Christmas, Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne, and boy did I love it, even till this day I still adore it! It has so many memories attached to it throughout my teens! Then when I was 18, I purchased my first fragrance with my own money, Hugo Boss Energise, I loved it but as time went on, my nose changed and I just gave it away. Great thread!

I'm almost certain it was Oscar de la Renta pour Lui at like age 8? My gramps gave it to me. Then after that it was Grey Flannel.

I was 13, and waiting for my body to follow my mind, meaning: In my mind I was a full blown woman, but what I saw in the mirror, was a skinny girl with to pushbuttons in front:-/ Oh the WAITING, impatience, desperation... will I ever grow up?? Then I came across an ad in a magazine, in the ad was a skinny girl laying naked on a coach, she looked out at me, and the look on her face was so sulky and seducing at the same time. She didn't look like a woman, more like a girl just about to step over the thin line of what you're supposed to do when you're just a girl, and what you most certainly are NOT supposed to. I completely related to that ad, with the sulking girl.
    As you probably already guessed, the girl was Kate Moss, and the ad was for Obsession. I got it for christmas that same year, and immediately loved it (I kind of had to, since I was depending on it to rescue me ...somehow!!)

So my very first scent was Obsession, and it did change my life, everything started to fall into place in the following year. Though maybe the hormones where to blame, rather than Obsession.

I haven't smelled it for a quite a while, but I would actually like some, to warm me up in winter. When wearing furrrrr;-)

got me some brut as a kid. but first choice by me was, obsession for men, back in 86(ish).

My first fragrance was a secret gift from my mom: Dana's Tabu. My dad bought it for her, and, preferring white flower fragrances (especially lily of the valley-based fragrances), she hated it and re-gifted it to me. My nose was much more in line with my dad's, and I loved Tabu.

The first fragrance I bought for myself was Halston (original formulation) in the mid-80s.

It appears my fragrance preferences haven't changed much over the years.

Brut and Grey Flannel(both hand me downs)...first one I bought was Hugo Boss(Hugo)

First grown-up scents I bought were Fleurs de Fleurs by Nina Ricci, closely followed by L'Air du Temps. I was about 17 or 18. Most of my friends were wearing Anais Anais at the time (mid-80s) and I wanted something a bit different. Don't like L'Air du Temps now though. I think it must have changed - or maybe I have!

Michael Jordan Cologne

davidoff cool water. i bought it when it came out, at the time it didn't smell like anything i had smelled ever before, which i liked. i wanted to wear something original. it was very distinctive and modern and beautiful. i still love it, but hardly ever wear it, stopped doing so in the early nineties when my bottle was finished. i didn't like it that you could smell it everywhere.
    but i was a great introduction into perfumery, and it thought me a thing or two.

Smile Re: Your 1st Scent

Though I really liked wearing Muguet and Canoe when I was very young, my first real cologne was Flambeau by Faberge, quickly followed by Woodhue, Tabu, Fiji, and Tweed.

Shucky

wow, canoe on a young girl. you must have a mind of your own, shucky.
    i love the old canoe, it's a sensational fougere! and while being a fougere (strictly male territory with it's daddy comes out the shower scent) it certainly is one of the few masculine scents that's nice enough to be worn by women.

My first scent was Calvin Klein Truth, probably purchased back 4 years ago

My first was Rive Gauche by YSL(EdT?) I think the canister really attracted me initially, then I loved the scent. I was in junior high school. My mother was a perfume fan and great enabler. I think my second perfume was Opium.

Basenotes Member

My First Scent was Canon I was about 8 and took a bath in it
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

Quote Originally Posted by LaBoheme View Post
    My first was Rive Gauche by YSL(EdT?) I think the canister really attracted me initially, then I loved the scent. I was in junior high school. My mother was a perfume fan and great enabler. I think my second perfume was Opium.
    You have great taste.

Mine was Azzaro pour Homme at fifteen. And I loved it.

I may have had some axe body spray or old spice body spray.

First real fragrance was Kenneth Cole reaction from gf at the time. I actually loved it, still remember the melon aquatic note. Soon after, I got tommy, but didnt like that one quite as much.

Stopped wearing cologne for a long time, and then recently I started a wardrobe change, and along with it, I decided to wear cologne again. The tommy and Kenneth Cole bottles were so old and unkept that I had to throw them away because they smelled bad.

Bought a few cheap bottles first like Claiborne sport, Ferrari black. Then I found some YouTube channels, fragrantica, and then basenotes. After that, I went for animale animale and loved that.. Added ck one, then burberry London, Azzaro chrome... Rest is history.

I began with a bottle of Polo green and Azzaro.

The first scent I've ever put on was Hugo Woman from the first sample I've ever purchased. I loved it. Funny enough two tiny dabs from the vial made me overtly concious about my wearing a scent. Now I spray with abandon and as long as it doesn't disturb others I feel great in it.

I think the second (a sample again) was Extravagance d'Amarige, I did enjoy the pumpkin note in it.

Balafre brun by lancome, my mum present for the opening of springtime 1983 !

My first scent was a snaffled dab of my mum's Miss Dior, which which I am still in love, but the first fragrance that I ever bought was Lutece. My mum took me to a selection of shops to try out different perfumes and that was the one that I decided I liked at the time, and even then I was aware that the scent smelled different just after application to when it had been on the skin for a while so I always made sure that it had been applied a good hour before going out with it on.

After Lutece I bought KL and Ysatis, which looking back in it were very brave buys for a young teenager.

My grandmother used to give us tiny bottles of 4711 when we were small - at least, my sister and I. She was German, and she used it in a kind of all-purpose way as a refresher. (My mother did too, although not so much any more.) I loved those tiny bottles.

I remember being given Muguet de Bois when I was -- ten maybe? by an aunt (I didn't really like it, but I used it anyway, because Perfume!). A school friend gave me Love's Baby Soft early in high school, and I used that too. (I remember it smelling like baby powder, not particularly exciting, but inoffensive.) Someone else, later in high school, gave me her barely-touched bottle of Obsession, which she didn't like. I hated it too, and it made me sneeze, but I wore that because A Boy! had said he liked it, adding to the general pollution of Obsession round the school hallways. (It did not, in case you were wondering, work with That Boy, or any boy, for me.)

The first things I bought for myself were various oils and things from import vendors. I liked sandalwood and patchouli, a lot, and they were dirt cheap then. And then in my twenties, a friend and I both fell in love with Calyx, and we used to buy bottles of that and split them, being, as we were, poor.

Estée Lauder Beautiful. I gifted myself a body powder to my fifteenth birthday. The EdP splash bottle followed.

My mother bought me Annick Goutal Eau de Charlotte when I was maybe 13 or 14. I did not like it but wanted to wear perfume so much. She had quite the lunchtime Saks shopping problem, which allowed me to try many fine things. The next time she took me to Saks, I smelled Eau d'Hadrien and wished she had bought me that instead of Eau de Charlotte! Now I can appreciate the chocolateyness of Eau de Charlotte and might even wear it, but I cannot be sure that it hasn't turned in the 22 intervening years.

First one I bought for myself was ck One. If this forum had the head under a paper bag smilie, I'd use that here.

Lacoste Pour Homme EDT. Still have it, 60% of the bottle is left however the top notes have spoiled.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger - loved it at the time and ended up handing it on to my younger brother. Now, I think it's collecting dust somewhere.

I received a bottle of Evening In Paris as a birthday gift when I was eight. I don't recall whether or not I liked the smell, but I remember feeling incredibly glamorous wearing it (of course, the more I applied, the more glamorous I felt!). Sadly, my parents deemed me a source of indoor air pollution and confiscated the bottle.

The first scent I chose for myself was Anais Anais. I was around fifteen at the time. I first smelled it on a classmate of mine and, although it was never as lovely on me as it was on her (my chemistry turned it shrill whereas hers emphasized the woody base notes), continued to wear it throughout high school.

Basenotes Junkie

First ever? Joop when I was about 12.

First designer perfume - Issey Miyake - L'eau D'Issey Pour Homme.

I'm still trying to decide my first niche fragrance.

I remember buying stuff like Jovan Musk and Blue Stratos when I was a teenager but the first real fragrance was Egoiste in 1997, which was a gift from my sister. I loved it. Shame it's been reformulated - I had another bottle in the last couple of years and it was nothing like the original.

Interesting thread. My mom had some different Avon fragrances that I wore as a preteen. I think Moon Drops or Blue Jeans was the first thing I bought for myself. I also had a Christmas gift at about age 12 that I treasured, a set of French mini perfumes. No money for perfumes for many years so mostly wore Timeless and Tabu and still like them. My first "expensive" perfume was Estee Lauder's Knowing which I still adore.

Basenotes Member

This was my first overall cologne, received as a gift during freshman year of HS iirc (maybe earlier).

My first fragrance bought was below, also in HS

Attached Images Attached Images

Back in like 6th grade i bought moves by adidas

When I was probably 9 I bought either Taboo or Incognito, can't remember which. I do remember that even then I knew it wasn't so great, but I proudly strut around like a peacock at my fanciness.

First "real" fragrance purchase was Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la route de Madagascar. Got one of the last 4 bottles in the US. I like to think my tastes have improved, but I still have that same strut.