Code of Conduct

Default Similar Fragrances

I was just thinking of a pretty cool idea, that I'd love to see implemented on BN, though I'm unaware of how easy or doable it would be. But, assuming that eventually the database becomes more complete with note pyramids, I think it would be awesome if on the page for a fragrance it could list somewhere on the page the frags in the database with the highest percentage of shared notes. I think this would be a cool way of showing people what fragrances they may also enjoy.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Similar Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I think it would be awesome if on the page for a fragrance it could list somewhere on the page the frags in the database with the highest percentage of shared notes.
    Highest percentage of shared notes? Great idea, never thought about that. I guess we just have to hope all fragrances will eventually have their pyramids listed.

This are certainly clustering algorithms that can give you similarity maps in however many dimensions you want, but I don't think you can base the clustering on the pyramids -- similarity is too subjective. You'd have to collect data specifically for this purpose.

I like the basic idea but would rather have it be based on member suggestions seeing as we've all seen note pyramids that tell us practically nothing about a scent. That and, often times a single note in each stage of the pyramid is predominant.. two scents with a strong basil heart may generally be found to be very similar even if that was the only note they shared. That would get overlooked by the algorithm.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I completely understand what you guys are saying, marketing released notes are incredibly subject. HOWEVER, for example, a current favorite of mine is Josef Statkus, whose main notes, to my nose, are incense, vanilla, patchouli and cedar. Now, if I was reading reviews of Josef Statkus and saw Fragrance X has 65% shared notes, which are: Incense, Patchouli, and Vanilla, even if that doesn't end up being incredibly similar, at least it's a first step towards finding something new, because I can now click on that fragrance and research it and read the reviews, trying to see if it sounds similar. I'm completely open to suggestion to fine tune the principle, but I think something like it could be very helpful.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I like the basic idea but would rather have it be based on member suggestions seeing as we've all seen note pyramids that tell us practically nothing about a scent. That and, often times a single note in each stage of the pyramid is predominant.. two scents with a strong basil heart may generally be found to be very similar even if that was the only note they shared. That would get overlooked by the algorithm.
    About the member suggestion part, Fragrantica has a system where you can categorize fragrances by what time of day or year it would work best in, even the type of situation and personality of the wearer it would work well with. It's not used that frequently over there, not sure if I'd trust it anyways, but I'd love for some more interactivity in a similar way on Basenotes, that ANYONE can participate in, not just reviewers. It would be a way of offering more info on the scent besides just written word.

Lightbulb Re: Similar Fragrances

" I'd love for some more interactivity in a similar way on Basenotes, that ANYONE can participate in, not just reviewers. It would be a way of offering more info on the scent besides just written word."

Hi there!
    This last bit sounds extremely interesting... not only create a platform for grouping fragrances (according to some standards) but also do that interactively and inclusively regarding the wider public. If the Basenotes site could handle the web traffic and the load of such interaction then it could be great.
    If I am not mistaken the term for this kind of processes is "open-share knowledge" where a stream of fragrance knowledge, in this case, would be co-created by and available to the wider public. ... It is possible though that it will be a major headache for the administrators.