Code of Conduct

Thread: Vetiver quest

Default Vetiver quest

Hello all- I'm looking for vetiver fragrance recommendations. I'm going to be ordering samples, and so far I have CdG Vetiverru, Le Labo Vetiver 46, and Mazzolari Vetiver on my list.

I'm looking for something that's a brighter take on vetiver, not overpowering (something you could wear to work), clean, fresh, versatile, distinct, interesting, long lasting...

Some vetivers that I've tried and liked: Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato- I LOVE this stuff, it just doesn't last at all. Creed OV is OK....but there's a slightly harsh note in there I don't care for...possibly the ginger note? I also remember liking Fresco di Vetiver by Profumi di Firenze....although it's been quite a while since I tried it.

This is my first post in a very long time! I appreciate your help and thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Default Re: Vetiver quest

Guerlain Vetiver (although i kind stand it)
    Etro Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Fredric Malle Vetiver Extraordinare

Sur la Plage

I would recommend trying Givenchy Vetyver and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Welcome back!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 12th January 2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Givenchy..Vetyver
    Vettiveru..CdG You mentioned. I think you will like this one.
    Vetyver..L'Occitane..Lot's of wood
    Vetiver Hombre..Adolfo Dominguez..Also can still be found, well worth the search
    Racine..MPG..reformulation can still be found,and is still very good.
    Vetyver..Lanvin..Soft Vetiver..Can be found easy.
    Vetiver..Carven 2006 reformulation is not too bad either.Easy find.
    None of the above Vetiver's are brutes, and portray the softer side of the Vetiver plant... Leaf/blades.
    Should probably also mention Annick Goutals offering, along with Vetyver by PdN. The later being loaded with spices, and that pepper note, which I call her house note. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Ron199; 12th January 2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Lanvin Vetyver
    Grey Vetyver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    are the ones I tried and are really on the brighter lighter side of the vetiver spectrum
    def. office wearable

let us know what you find !
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Le Jardin Retrouve - Eau de Vetyver(Comes in a splash bottle and fairly inexpensive)
    Floris - Vetiver (Recently discontinued, but should still be readily available online)
    Roger & Gallet - Vetyver (Very crisp, clean and unsullied variant)
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 12th January 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Encre Noire is a very true and good vetiver

Creeds 1948 Vetiver is very nice! And does garner lots of compliments.

I concur with Petruccijc....go for the Tom Ford.....a clean, very bright Vetiver....with modern twist, very now.

If you are sampling vetivers then you MUST try Chanel's Sycomore! Other then that, consider Zara's Vetiver as well as it's very subtle and therefore great for the office.

Givenchy, Encre Noir, Roger & Gallet, Floris... all great suggestions.
    Here's some new ones, Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo is delightful. Jo Malone Vetyver is a good, basic type.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DJB View Post
    Hello all- I'm looking for vetiver fragrance recommendations. I'm going to be ordering samples, and so far I have CdG Vetiverru, Le Labo Vetiver 46, and Mazzolari Vetiver on my list.

I'm looking for something that's a brighter take on vetiver, not overpowering (something you could wear to work), clean, fresh, versatile, distinct, interesting, long lasting...

Some vetivers that I've tried and liked: Bois 1920 Vetiver Ambrato- I LOVE this stuff, it just doesn't last at all. Creed OV is OK....but there's a slightly harsh note in there I don't care for...possibly the ginger note? I also remember liking Fresco di Vetiver by Profumi di Firenze....although it's been quite a while since I tried it.

This is my first post in a very long time! I appreciate your help and thanks in advance for all suggestions.
    DJB you might remember this great vetiver review thread or if not it is a good read and should be of some help:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/172...hlight=vetiver
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I think you'll really enjoy the Mazzolari, but the ones listed by petruccijc are favourites of mine and fit your criteria IMHO. I'm hesitant to suggest Vetiver Extraordinaire, though it's my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by derekp View Post
    I'm hesitant to suggest Vetiver Extraordinaire, though it's my favourite.
    This is a must try, in my opinion. Not for everybody, but I also think it is fantastic.

Blog Entries

I am not sure if Le Labo or Mazzolari would qualify as a brighter take, clean, fresh, or not overpowering. You might be setting yourself up for disappointment if these are the characteristics you are looking for.

Some along these lines are Lanvin Vetiver, Thierry Mugler Cologne, Paul Smith Story, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Lalique Encire Noir (maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Dependent

I saw your tried list and it seems you haven't tried The Different Company's Sel De Vetiver. From my rather limited vetiver experiences, this is my favorite vetiver scent.

Vetiver Extraordinaire FM
    Vetiver Adolfo Dominguez
    Vetiver & Guaiac Cologne Liz Zorn
    Vetiver 1948 Creed
    all are bright, sparkling, and flowery vetivers.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I agree with Inselaffe's choice of Roger & Gallet - in my opinion the lightest and freshest vetiver currently available and, because I'm not a massive vetiver fan, my favourite. The only problem with it, as with most R&G scents, is the lack of longevity.

Fragonard Vetyver

Hermessence Vetiver Tonka and Parfums de Nicolai Vetyver are both very office friendly too.

I've been wearing Nicolai Vetyver and Le Labo Vetiver 46 to the office a lot lately. I'd also recommend The Different Company Sel de Vetiver, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. and CDG Vettiveru which is a great value.
    The one vetiver that I literally could not stand is Tauer's Vetiver Dance.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

+3 on Different Co. Sel d' Vetiver for a "brighter take on vetiver" this would be my first choice. I also like Vetiveru, Grey Vetiver, LL 46, and Underworld by SOIVOHLE.

...bright, not overpowering, clean, fresh etc.: Encre Noire, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Jo Malone´s Vetiver, Lubin´s Vetiver, Vetyver by Patricia de Nicolaï.
    Not clean, not fresh, but other favs of mine: Sycomore, Etro´s Vetiver and Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris.
    Last edited by sables; 13th January 2010 at 03:24 PM.

If you like Sel de Vetiver you should try Montale's Vetiver des Sables. Cheaper price tag, extremely cheaper if you consider sillage. A fragrance that does not list vetiver in the pyramid but comes off as a vetiver scent is Lalique's Equus, Really great stuff.

Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    ...but probably the darkest vetiver I' ve ever smelled!

Vetiver Extraordinaire and Vetiver Tonka by Hermes...I bought them both last month. I do not regret it at all. I wear Vetiver Tonka more tho...I stays on your clothes for 24 hrs...on skin for about 6 to 8..most Vetiver fragrances dont last...on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    Oh man...this one is a stinker when it comes out of the bottle.....give it some time to settle down and you'd be rewarded with a gorgeous earthy vetiver drydown......this stuff has some serious tenacity too......definitely try worthy for vetiver fans but not for people who like their vetiver clean.......

another vote for creed vetiver (1948). there are a couple bottles of vintage guerlain eau de vetiver edc that are maaaarvelous.

eric b

My personal favorite : Parfumerie Generale Querelle.

I'll add a vote for Honore de Pres Chaman's Party. Deep and smoky.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    Encre Noire is a very true and good vetiver
    This was too strong for me. However, I do like the Claus Porto Vetyver soap that I am using. Anything that is similar to the soap?

Vintage Guerlain Vetiver edc is indeed fantastic but, alas, discontinued. The current edt is good as well, though. Smelled it last night on a French aquaintance and it was really nice. My best long term friend wears it pretty often and I wear it occasionally and do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by e-dub View Post
    another vote for creed vetiver (1948). there are a couple bottles of vintage guerlain eau de vetiver edc that are maaaarvelous.

eric b
    I agree with both.
    Last edited by brrrry; 14th January 2010 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Oh man...this one is a stinker when it comes out of the bottle.....give it some time to settle down and you'd be rewarded with a gorgeous earthy vetiver drydown......this stuff has some serious tenacity too......definitely try worthy for vetiver fans but not for people who like their vetiver clean.......
    On me, this one is rather "clean", even when straight out of the bottle, though I know some on the forum find this version of Vetiver "dark".

A new one to try is Zizan by Ormonde Jayne. It has a citrusy top, but the vetiver is very nice! By the way, Ormonde Jayne now sells their perfumes in smaller travel sprays (similar to Malle). I also have to agree with Amit that Querelle is very good too!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Lots of good suggestions here. Another that I would suggest, since you're looking for something bright and work-friendly, is Guerlain's Vetiver eau glacee. It's like the original but without the tobacco and with some additional bright/minty notes.

Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    If you like Sel de Vetiver you should try Montale's Vetiver des Sables. Cheaper price tag, extremely cheaper if you consider sillage. A fragrance that does not list vetiver in the pyramid but comes off as a vetiver scent is Lalique's Equus, Really great stuff.
    Thanks for sharing, I'll try to sample those.

Rive Gauche,
    Vetiver by L'artisan
    Vétiver Extraordinaire By Frederic Malle
    Guerlain Vetiver (Light Applications)
    ++ More!

Good luck!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Cool Re: Vetiver quest

Vetiver Extraordinaire is not my favorite but it sure as hell ain't bad and it's certainly a " bright take" " It radiates light.

Guerlian is my favorite. I have the vintage version but I enjoyed the brashness of the new one, once it settled down. A+

Annick Goutal's salty offering I compare favorably to CDG's Vettiveru. It has some resemblance. I think it's better, but some may just feel like eating fish and chips with it.

I Suggest decants of all 3.

Have you tried Lowe para Hombre? Not exactly a " pure " vetiver scent, but it does sparkle and is versatile enough to double as office wear.

Glad you're back and posting. Welcome back to the madness!

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

After all the discussions on the reformulation of Route du Vetiver, I think it is time to see the new version for what it really is: a bright floral vetiver. So a decant of that might be a good idea. Not the old one thugh.

I second especially Lanvin Vetiver, from all the ones mentioned, simply because it's an underrated good quality designer vetiver frag, also quite affordable.