Code of Conduct

Default Help, I'm Searching for a Green.

What's your fave? I'm *currently using Green Irish Tweed which is rather bland for the bucks.

I've tried Esencia Lowe, *Montana , *Ferrari Black, Grey Flannel (Yuck! ), *Duc de Vervins, Francesco Smalto and Hermes D'Orange Vert

Am I doomed to Vetiver?
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Default Re: Help, I'm Searching for a Green.

Not at all.

My favourite green fragrances that are not based on vetiver are Diptyque's Virgilio and MPG Baïme.

How about two old favourites - Jacques Fath Green Water (1947) and Penhaligon's English Fern (1911)?

Trot

You could also try Good Life and Platinum Egoiste; these are two very nice green scents.

Having just sampled Good Life for the 1st time today, I'll second the previous recommendation. You may want to test Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, Eau de Rochas Homme, and--for a nice vetiver alternative--L'Occitane Vetyver.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Here's what comes to my mind:

- Guerlain Vetiver - fresh and green

- VC&A Tsar - aromatic with a little sweetness

- Paco rabanne pour homme - green,soapy and fresh

- Polo - one of the strongest scents I know, very green and dark

- Mugler Cologne - not very strong and long lasting, but it's green, it's fresh and soapy

Guerlain Coriolan - a little bitter, with warm basenotes

francois

I'm not too fond of green scents, but I like Miracle Homme.
    The top note is maple leaf.
    Then you get oakmoss, pepper and coffee.
    Very nice fresh scent with a different twist.

A couple I'd throw into the mix:

Diptyque Virgilio - probably the "greenest" scent I own. For me, it immediately evokes a sense of an outdoor walk in the field in spring. This one is "green" as in "field or garden"

Houbigant Duc de Vervins / Abercrombie and Fitch Woods - two other scents, similar in that they are not traditionally referred to as "green", but have a freshness that overlays a woody base that makes me think "green", as in "foliage".

Cheers,
    Jim

Two that come to mind:

Creed Original Vetiver - light on the vetiver, heavy on the green

Gobin Daude Sous le Bous - bright, fresh green.

You could sample the original Paul Smith for men.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Lacoste Land smells exactly like English Ivy when I run over it with a lawn mower (minus the exhaust fumes, of course).

Miller and Bertaux Green, Green, Green is.........

Gentlemen: Thanks for the recommendations, I really appreciate it.

Needless to say, as a fellow addict, I'll get around to them all.

TODAY I HAD A DYPTIQUE DAY! *Went to their site online, got the 'address book', and found one store in town that carried Virgilio.---Or so the dingbat sales clerk told me over the phone.*

Well, not a complete waste, got a tube of JB conditoning shave lube at almost enough discount to pay for my gas and got to sample 4 of Dyptique's finest. I didn't think they'd have testers. I was gointg to buy Virgilio sight--or smell--unseen

Why? * Well, prior to my excursion I looked for Virgilio at one of my online bargain favorites: perfume distributors.com *and found one bottle of 3.3 edt splash retailing at $500, their bargain price was (drum roll, please) $499!

No, I am not making this up, check it out for yourselves.

So, after that, *going across town and getting Virgilio $58 for 1.7 edt felt *like buying a Rolls for pennies.

I had a fun day

I tried Oyedo, Philosokion, L'Ombre dans L'eau and I can't remember the fourth. They all smelled better on drydown. Now let's see, the left forearm was Oyedo, the right was. . .

But I couldn't stand any of them.

Weird. * It smelled as if someone had used CD's Eau Savage as a common base for all 4 then added different herbal/medicinal notes in each one. *

Know what? *These are probably great colognes.

Hell, *Eau Savage ain't too shabby either, *just not my cup of French basil tea.

Got a bottle years ago, didn't like it and, though unisex had not yet been invented, gave it away to a wonderfully depraved *girl.

Different strokes.

BTW, *is Lorenzo Villarosi's Yerbamate . . . ???

My Wardrobe

Yerbamate is green, and a tad feminine, but I like it.
    Other greenies include Calvin Klein Truth, Montana Green, Cerruti Image, Horizon.
    It's odd, but I've never thought of Green Irish Tweed as particularly green or rustic.
    Renato

I'll also give a nod to Good Life and Truth,

But how about some frags with a twist to their composition...

Green can also suggest patchouli based....how about a subtle take on patchouli such as Marc Jacobs,

Or how about a classic green base infused with fruit topnotes as a twist, like Paris Hilton Men? Yeah, it's very fruity on first spraying, but after 5 minutes, it mellows to blend with a respectable green heart and base.

Lastly, maybe spicy green, like L'Eau D'Issey?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I second the original Paul Smith, it´s probably as green as is possible. Really don´t care for it myself though.

MMM

The greenest scent that I've ever come across is Tactics by Shiseido.

L`Artisan Fou d`Absinthe.

Polo, Geir Ness, Jazz
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

+1 for Paul Smith for Men. I like it a lot, its only problem is it disappears after 2 hours. It gets its green from Violet Leaf and Fig Leaf.

If you want the same Violet Leaf in something that lasts, its in Eau de Cartier Concentree

If you want a similar Fig Leaf, its in Un Jardin en Méditerranée. Miller and Bertaux Green, Green, Green and Green is supposed to be a dead ringer for UJeM.
    Last edited by andym72; 4th December 2009 at 11:40 AM.

Three great greenies:

Creed Original Vetiver
    Paco Rabanne
    Polo

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    Gucci Envy

I don't get green from CPMC.

No 19 is the obvious choice if you want green from Chanel. In my subjective opinion, of course.

Mario, you've received some excellent suggestions. Stand-outs for me among those are JF Green Water, Penhaligon's English Fern, Virglio, M&B Green, green....

Try MPG Grain de Plaisir, which I like better than Baime.
    Try Trumpers Wild Fern, a worthy alternative to English Fern.
    I mention Knize Forest, knowing that it is hard to find... but it is oh-so green.
    And finally a few pine scents: Pino Silvester and L'Occitane 4 Voleurs.

There are great green scents out there!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Bond No. 5 Central Park is one of the best greens I've smelled. I'm not a Bond fan with the exception of maybe 2-3 and this is one of them. It is as close to a big green lawn as I've smelled.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 4th December 2009 at 01:10 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Definitely Chanel No. 19 is my favorite green.

Polo Modern Reserve is great (and strong)!

Encre Noire for dark green vetiver and Balmain de Balmain for green, woody florals.

Covet is another interesting green choice for something sweeter.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Gucci Envy may be green in color, but it certainly not a green fragrance.

Let met add to this 4 year old thread and with my very first green fragrance:

212 Men: Freshly mown grass
    Then I'll just throw in:
    Happy for Men: Green mixed with citrus
    Givenchy Greenergy: A very "perfumey" green

Hey Mario,
    Four years later, have you found your ideal green scent yet?
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Hey yeah, I didn't realize this had gotten the super-bump. Oh well, green is a great theme.
    Two more to consider are the incredible Rainforest by Ayala Moriel. This takes green to a deep, dark forest-y place. And the amazing Oakmoss (Muschio di Quercia) by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo: moss and vetiver in perfect combination.
    Mention of Bond No. 9 reminds me of Wall Street and Gramercy Park, two green scents, quite different from each other.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

You can try Goutal's new Ninfeo Mio.
    -

+1 on Lacoste Land.
    Like scrunching leaves on your fingers.

+0.5 on Fou d'Absinthe, coz I only get the green at the start...(which I wasnt particularly fond of...but then develops and gets you hooked )

Dependent

I'm pretty sure Mario has got is sorted already...

But here are my favorite "green" - my interpretation - scents:

Gramercy Park (nice one Ody!)
    Fahrenheit
    Paco Rabanne PH

+ a couple of vetiver-centric scents...

When I hear "green" frag, I think of galbanum as a predominant note. How do others think in terms of "green?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    When I hear "green" frag, I think of galbanum as a predominant note. How do others think in terms of "green?"
    Green plant matter. Leaves, grass, needles, roots etc. Not the pitch, blossoms, bark and dried plants.
    Last edited by PorkFat; 4th December 2009 at 09:29 PM.

Riverside Bond 9

I hope that, in the 4+ years since Mario first joined and started this thread, he's found what he's looking for.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I hope that, in the 4+ years since Mario first joined and started this thread, he's found what he's looking for.
    AHH SHUKKS i been bushwhacked, and bamboozled . Ok who's the culprit.

212 Men is awsome, just got it and love it. It starts off green, but then it trys down into a very light sweet musk, it'a really great.

Also I would suggest you check out Curve, it might be cheap and all but somehow women love that stuff.

Well, Mario, I noticed that neither Yerbamate nor Fou d'Absinthe (oddly enough) is on either the list of things you've tried or owned. If you're still on a green quest, I'd suggest both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I suppose pine and vetiver are to an extent as well, but that is partly a consequence of the non-root portions in their original form *actually* being green.

But yeah, galbanum smells more like "green" to me than anything else.

Maybe this helps THIS THREAD IS FROM 2005 !

I don't see how that makes the present discussion any less useful to green-seekers and non-seekers alike.

From another older thread:

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Green is my thing.
    Here goes:

You won't find better Ivys than Paul Smith Story or Eau De Lierre imo.
    Sander for men has ivy in the notes, but it's more of a young spicy scent, with some sweetness and green bay leaf. Profumum Victrix is similar to Sander in it's spicyness and Bay Laurel Leaf.

If you haven't tried Creed Original Vetiver, it is required IMO, my favorite green scent. And since you like Mugler, this is a shoe in, as it adds dozens of extremely natural citrus/spice/ginger/woody notes over the top of that green leafy mugler heart. The other subtly-sweet "green" vetivers (most vetivers are brown imo) are Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver, Zara Vetiver, and Tauer Vetiver Dance. CDG's Vettiveru has some green, but also alot of brown, but I'll mention it as it's not totally brown, not sweet either.

And since you mentioned that you're looking for sweeter ones, I'd say Gramercy Park is an excellent try, but you might find it too sweet/feminine. If it's not too feminine, also try L'Artisan Fleur Di Liane, but I'm expecting both of these too feminine if you like Story. Nonetheless, all the green bonds are sweet, Central Park, Bleecker Street, and to a lesser extent Riverside Drive (dominated by pineapple with less green than the other 2), and even Eau De New York, which hasa nice light green tucked behind all the citrus. Another citrus frag with some mild greeness is Caraceni's Ivy League, but I felt the bottle was misleading, as any greeneness is dominated by synthetic citrus, and synthetic "girly dishsoap Florals", but maybe try it just incase.

On the cheap side, Bowling Green is the 1 "older" green I liked, so I'd recommend trying that, even though it's no sweeter than Story. Mind you, I dislike Paco Rabanne, and nearly all of the pine scents, with the exception of Creed Epicea, which is unique. But of all the older green scents, Bowling Green I think smells the least dated, and it's dirt cheap. Recommended.Then I'd Say both Givenchy Greenergy and Miracle Homme L'Aquatonic are in your future. Both These frags are moderately/pleasantly sweet, and loaded with the grassy/dandelion/wildflowers type green note. Greenergy adds Citrus/greenaplle type smell to the dandelion field, and L'Aquatonic adds alot of wet lettuce/celery/rhubarb. Neither has as much synthetic galbanum-type green as Mugler, but both are slightly sweeter and more natural-smelling.

Even though, it's not sweet, Sisley Eau De Campagne is another required try. There is no better leafy smell than this. Period. If you like that one green note in Armani Eau pour homme, but dislike the 80's smell, and want the lemon toned down, with a whole lot more uber-natural green leafy goodness, Eau De Campagne is perfect. It is perfectly unisex, without being sweet, and versatile to boot.

While none are sweet, or particularly good imo, out of all the definitively green Lacoste scents, the exception, is Lacoste Booster, which is good/ok. It smells mildly medicinal, green-leafy, with a very strong, very distinctive Wintergreen note. Wintergreen is very different than other mints, if you haven't smelled it b4.

Back to sweet scents, Davidoff Goodlife, while not for me, is very green with Fig leaf, and sweet as well, the premium equivalent to this is Profumum Ichnusa, but both require the liking of fig leaf/fig wood (not the actual fruit, which I do like). Diptyque Philsykos is another better green fig alternative, although again, not for me.

Others have made the excellent recommendation of Creed Green Valley, and this is both sweet(too much for some), and very green. A mellow, speckled green field, with some tan and white mixed in. Wonderful scent. Another excellent green Creed is Creed Selection Verte, the longevity is awful, but it's a must test, for reference if nothing else. Nothing does Minty-green-citrus better. The cheaper alternative is Jacques Fath Green Water, which has a very similar minty-green-citrus top, a green leafy-herbal heart, but is anchored at the bottom by a very very real Oakmoss note(surprisingly), of which Selection Verte has none, or any base for that matter. lol

Another good recommendation for sweeter green scent Was CDG Calamaus, which I equate to eating a giant powdered donut in a field of greens & wildflowers, very very unique and interesting scent.

Should be a long, very enjoyable test run. ENJOY!

Can't go wrong with Guerlain Vetiver

AromiErotici

I recently have been wearing Borsalino and love understated green aura it has.

Cool Re: Help, I'm Searching for a Green.

Quote Originally Posted by cmax View Post
    Maybe this helps THIS THREAD IS FROM 2005 !
    It sure is and I didn't bump it

No, I haven't found my ideal green yet, so please PM me with offers of free bottles of Creed's Feuille Verte and Lalique's Encre Noir

(Yeah, that's going to happen)

Well, thanks for this trip back to memory lane.
    Jumping Anaconda!
    There's still so much I haven't tried yet, including Jacques Fath Green Water (1947) or Yerbamate
    *sigh*
    Or for that matter, Fou d'Absinthe, Lacoste Land or Virgilio--

I've no excuse for the former, and a worse one for the last three; I found most L'Artisans overrated, couldn't stand how boring the regular Lacoste was or how weird/silly Dyptique turned out to be--my apologies to all the fans of these houses. Besides I'm the one that missed out. I never tried these three frags.

What I have learned is that Bowling Green is an aromatic and Versace l'Homme a fougere ( or is it a leather chypre?) Who cares, they both rock!

" Green " is such a good adjective it can include citrus, or soapy vetivers and--

Oh here you go: My 5 star " greens "

1. Guerlian Vetiver--Yes I have the vintage version. Guess what? I like the 'vulgar' tobacco modern, too..

2. Iskander--Oh no! A niche! Yes. (2006) by Parfum d'Empire--Great and *gasp* LONG LASTING citrus green

3. L'Occitane Vetiver and OV.( For whenever Guerlian demands you to be too cheerful.) The first brooding, the second soapy, both mellow . . .

( And while I'm still 'condemned to Vetivers ' I'll recommend)

4 and 5: The lighter fluid happy dance of V.Extraordiaire and the salty fish and chips of Annick Goutal---Ok 4 stars--maybe more?

6. Patou pour Homme Privé--5 stars all the way, and blast it, don't tell me it's a fougere it's--

GREEN
    As are Lowe Para Hombre, Signoricci, Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet and

7. The Vanilla/ Green of Habit Rouge. Yes it's um . . .Oriental/Green.

Ok, I'm insane. But as William Blake put it, " The fool who persists in his folly will become wise. "
    Or would PT Barnum's " A fool and his money. . .hm, skip it.

8. Creed's Selection Verte, and Bois de Cédrat

And last but not least:

(If you only have 15 minutes or less left to live:

9 and 10

Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte--Assuming you're a cannon crazed Tchaikovsky, 1812 Overture Finale kind of guy.
    Or
    Acqua di Parma Colonia---You'd probably prefer Chopin Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2

Now, if you're an optimist and believe either frag lasts longer: Respighi Pines of Rome!

Being a pessimist I'll only offer the last part: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oqasTguizM"]YouTube- Respighi - Herbert von Karajan -Pines of Rome 3/3[/ame]

Time to take my meds.

Say. What would Green Lantern wear?

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 5th December 2009 at 09:40 AM.
    My Wardrobe

I second Blenheim Bouquet, English Fern and Mugler Cologne

you might also like Knize Forest, Sisley Eau de Campagne, Givenchy Vetiver and Givenchy Greenenergy, as well as the "marginally green" male frags by Faconnable, but also other more or less green notes in the ultra-cheap (yet great value for money) in Nature Homme and Nature Millenaire, along with the now discontinued (but occasionally available upon request/special order) Eau de Vetiver, all the aforementioned there by Yves Rocher, in Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, Fendi Life Essence and even in Theorema Uomo by Fendi, in Cerutti 1881, in Lanvin Vetiver and in Loewe para Hombre or in Agua de Loewe.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 5th December 2009 at 01:08 PM.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

Any citation of Resphigi's "Pines of Rome" gets top marks in my book. Conehead-approved!
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Any citation of Resphigi's "Pines of Rome" gets top marks in my book. Conehead-approved!
    ...Agreed! Thanks for writing in Mario!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Paul Smith Men

very green for me
    Last edited by Aromabar; 5th December 2009 at 06:34 PM.

Hey Mario, Green Lantern might wear UMMMM.... Polo or Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I've never heard of this one before, would you mind describing it?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I've never heard of this one before, would you mind describing it?
    This got reviewed on NST and Perfume Posse recently:
    http://perfumeposse.com/2010/01/10/a...al-ninfeo-mio/
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2010/01/11...grance-review/
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 11th January 2010 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks Mike, it sounds nice. I hope to give it a try, but I'm not holding my breath, I don't really care for anything I've tried from Annick Goutal previously.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

I'd also drop Frederic Malle's Geranium Pour Monsieur & French Lover into the 'green' category. The latter very much 'green but with no direct sunlight'.

And in case it hasn't been mentioned L'Eau d'Artisan - freshly cut lawn.

R De Revillon
    Few use it, and you can find a 6.7 oz bottle really cheap.

Creed Green Valley

I always insist on Rive Gauche PH as a mega green Frag! Though Polo *Green* is a lovely boozy/chypre frag aswell!

Enjoy!

Take Care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Is Lacoste Land still obtainable? I can see this being often recommended in both "green" and "piney" topics but I have never seen it anywhere available for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Here's what comes to my mind:
    - Guerlain Vetiver - fresh and green
    - Paco rabanne pour homme - green,soapy and fresh
    - Polo - one of the strongest scents I know, very green and dark
    - Mugler Cologne - not very strong and long lasting, but it's green, it's fresh and soapy
    +1, I was about to type all these in addition to English Fern amongst others
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads