Code of Conduct

Default Jo Malone Collection

I was in Neiman Marcus yesterday sniffing around for a new scent and ended up leaving with this: Jo Malone Cologne Collection set of Six. 100$

The bottles are 9ml each:
    Sweet Lime and Cedar
    Lime Basil, and Mandarin
    nectarine blossom and honey
    Pomegranate Noir
    White Jasmine and Mint
    Grapefruit

Now that I have them home and am able to see reviews here< I see mixed thoughts on them as stand alone scents. What are your thoughts on the layering aspect of them, and have you had good experiences with them?
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Default Re: Jo Malone Collection

I've sampled various ones from the line. i think Malone does have a sort of signature "feel" to them, in my mind they're all sort of light and airy with a bright sparkling fruityness or so... I think some feel they lack sillage and longevity but I do find they're ok on both but just hold close to the skin. My clothes still smell a day later but the sillage is minimal. I'd say best for hot weather.

Of those i've tried, I've only ventured for larger decants of the sweet lime & cedar and the Pomegranate noire, though black vetiver also peaked my interest. I think there is some talk about the company in one of Burr's books, maybe Emperor or scent?

I think they're usually about $1.50/ml, so the mix pack is a slight premium but I'd think it's worth it to be able to try many at once.

As for layering, that's something I haven't experimented with much but I'd be curious to hear what happens if/when you do.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 13th January 2010 at 08:10 PM.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Pretty boxes and nice store presentations. My experience with Jo Malone is that I would rather spend more money on other scents. Very pretty fragrances but I have not the inclination to try the various scents to combine them. They are made to mix and match but I think are only available in the EDT and I tend to prefer EDP.

I would be more inclined to start with Tom Ford and his line. They are stronger, for one thing.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Some of them are so ordinary and simple that I can only see them as layering material. In fact as such thery are great, exactly because they are so simple. PN is a true gem! One of the few FB that I hav come to finish. I have layered Wild Fig and Cassis with 154 and the result is trully amazing, very masculine sort of 70's scent. Black Vetyver Cafe is also interesting and makes for a very good masculinizer when layered with feminine scents. Sweet Lime and Cedar I didn't like that much. Surprisingly when layering one cannot predict which one will take over. BVC for instance tends to overwhelm mush stronger fragrances, PN is a powerhouse offcourse.
    Last edited by cpk; 13th January 2010 at 10:10 PM.

I think many are very nice and a few are fantastic. I have quite a few myself and enjoy all of the ones I own.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

So I have had the chance to play around with them, and some of the combinations are wonderful, and some are just awful. I have definitely had fun in the process. Good luck to anyone else who tries these out.
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

I m sure we would love to hear what you came up with, good and bad....

I enjoy them as quick pick-me-ups; I see them as modernized classic EDCs...particularly the Grapefruit.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Here are a few combos I have tried and liked:
    Sweet Lime and Cedar/ Nectarine Blossom
    Pomegranate Noir/ Grapefruit
    Grapefruit/ Lime, Basil, Mandarin

StinkBombS:
    Pomegranate Noir/ Blue Agava
    White Jasmine and Mint/ Blue Agava
    Lime, Basil, Mandarin/ Sweet Lime and Cedar

I will continue to update as I wear them.

I don't own any Jo Malones (yet) but I love Black Vetyver Café and Nutmeg & Ginger. Would love to try more of their scents, but it seems impossible to get samples plus they don't ship to Finland.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I was at a Nordstroms last week and had the opportunity of trying a few of thier offerrings. There were some winners, but nothing earth-shattering. The Pomegranite and the Lime/Basil/Mandarine were the two I recall liking more than the others. I didn't get the chance to apply any to my skin due to hitting up the Creed counter first and applying a bunch of thier stuff on all available skin. Next time I'm there, I'll be sure to try thier stuff on my skin.