Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What is my next sampling of leather/florals? Cuir de Russie by Chanel?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • EDT Chanel Cuir de Russie

6 66.67%
  • EDP Chanel Cuir de Russie

1 11.11%
  • Another floral/leather

2 22.22%

Default Ladies and gentlemen: Cuir de Russie

In my search to sample leather scents, I am asking my fellow BNers to give me some advice.

I already have tried Azuree and Aramis, and also adore Cuir de Lancome and Cuir Ottoman. I am now casting a glance at trying Cuir de Russie by Chanel.

I understand that this is a powdery scent, and usu. I like my florals and leather, yet not powdery; is this because of the iris? (The Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur did not do well with me in longevity. Lovely scent, but for me, not bottle-worthy.)

Any recommendations for either the Cuir de Russie EDT (which I have read is more aldehydic) or the extrait?

Thank you in advance.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Ladies and gentlemen: Cuir de Russie

I'm pretty sensitive to powder, I have a sample of the EDT, I just sprayed some on, and I don't read it as powdery. But this may depend on your definition of powder - I do read it as "textured".

As a barely reformed powder-hater, I think that it's un-powdery enough to be well worth trying a sample.

CdR is a very unique leather. I don't find it powdery at all, but very, very aldehydic (which some might percieve as powdery). It has an oily quality that adds to the leatheriness of the scent. Yes it is very floral but I think that is what makes it stand out next to all the other leather scents. It is also silky smooth, and doesn't have one sharp edge from top to bottom. There isn't a EDP only an EDT and an extrait. Both are divine, but go with the EDT and spritz lavishly throughout the day and you'll smell of leathery goodness. You might want to try Tabac Blond, another similiar floral leather.

Cuir de Russie only comes in parfum or edt. Of this choice you need to try the parfum without a doubt.
    It is not powdery but smooth, like an old well worn leather jacket. Then add hints of herbal and florals. If you love Cuir de Lancome I think you should like Cuir de Russie which is even smoother and more floral with a hint of clary sage.
    DONNA

Surprisingly enough- or not- I voted another floral/leather- simply because my fragrance knowledge is so limited, that I really don't know ow Chanel Cuir de Russie EDT/EDP projects in comparison to other frags, which might be similar to this one or not:
    Creed's Cuir de Russie or Farina Gegenuber's Russisch Leder.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 14th January 2010 at 11:09 AM.

Thank you all for the advice. It looks like I shall have to try the EDT and and parfum! And thank you for the recommendations. I find the floral/leather one of my favourite combinations, with flowers and leather notes with equal weight.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi Primrose

I am also a floral/leather lover, and was torn at how to vote. On one hand, I HIGHLY recommend Chanel's Cuir de Russie EDT (haven't yet sampled the parfum - so can't comment on that). CdR EDT is a gorgeous, warm, sexy blend of plush leather and deep, dark floral notes. I think the leather and florals are masterfully balanced in CdR, making it an incredibly smooth, creamy, rich fragrance (BTW - I don't get any powder in this scent). And it last very well on skin.

On the other hand, I also wanted to vote for "another floral/leather", and suggest Hermes Kelly Caleche (EDT or parfum, but not the EDP), which I think of as the lighter, hopelessly effervescent sister of the sultry CdR. From what I've read, some wearer's smell KC's leather notes and some do not. Fortunately, I'm in the former group. To me, this fragrance is a brilliant dance of buttery-fine leather and dewy flowers. What I mean is, where CdR's floral/leather notes are so well blended that they seem to melt together forming one accord, in KC the floral/leather notes stand apart, and swirl in and out as contrasting accords.
    Last edited by pomander; 15th January 2010 at 01:29 PM.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    Hi Primrose

I am also a floral/leather lover, and was torn at how to vote. On one hand, I HIGHLY recommend Chanel's Cuir de Russie EDT (haven't yet sampled the parfum - so can't comment on that). CdR EDT is a gorgeous, warm, sexy blend of plush leather and deep, dark floral notes. I think the leather and florals are masterfully balanced in CdR, making it an incredibly smooth, creamy, rich fragrance (BTW - I don't get any powder in this scent). And it last very well on skin.

On the other hand, I also wanted to vote for "another floral/leather", and suggest Hermes Kelly Caleche (EDT or parfum, but not the EDP), which I think of as the lighter, hopelessly effervescent sister of the sultry CdR. From what I've read, some wearer's smell KC's leather notes and some do not. Fortunately, I'm in the former group. To me, this fragrance is a brilliant dance of buttery-fine leather and dewy flowers. What I mean is, where CdR's floral/leather notes are so well blended that they seem to melt together forming one accord, in KC the floral/leather notes stand apart, and swirl in and out as contrasting accords.
    I also have Kelly Caleche in the EDT nad I use it for my summer leather floral scent! I adore this in warmer weather. I *do not* like the EDP at all. So far, my favourites are Cuir Ottoman and Cuir de Lancome.

There are distinct difference in EDT and EDP and also the perfumes. I have read that Cuir de Russie EDT is more aldehydic. Best to try the different versions.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Excellent description by scent. I wear CdR EDT on occasions too... Has a classy vintage feel to it.