Code of Conduct

Thread: Sillage ?

Default Sillage ?

Take Le Male for example, i know that when you first spray it, it probably projects and has massive sillage, but i was wondering if sillage in colognes dissapear after top notes? And i just got angel men ( yea i know who doesnt have this) and the top notes smell horrible and the basenotes are much better. Is there any sillage existing in the basenotes of fragrances? or is it too weak to project? thanks XD

Default Re: Sillage ?

Sillage is unique for each fragrance. Middle and base notes can have quite good projection depending on the fragrance. In fact there are some fragrances that seem to get bigger as they develop.

If you have ever smelled Black Aoud, JHL, Tabac Blond, or even Habit Rouge you can smell some examples of scents whose projection stay active or at times even accelerate as the fragrance develops.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 13th January 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Tons of sillage from many basenotes. they're heavy molecules.
    And yes, I agree the helional-dominated-top makes A*Men smell like Plastic-mint for a while.
    This is why the A*Men flankers are better, they cover/mellow the awful top.

It all depends on the fragrance. My advice is sample is much as possible, you'll learn quick enough!

Sillage, which is French for a trail that follows behind you or something like that, is different for every fragrance. Some have heady top notes like Eau de Colognes, but no base, and some have powerful ambery bases.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Sillage is unique for each fragrance. Middle and base notes can have quite good projection depending on the fragrance. In fact there are some fragrances that seem to get bigger as they develop.

If you have ever smelled Black Aoud, JHL, Tabac Blond, or even Habit Rouge you can smell some examples of scents whose projection stay active or at times even accelerate as the fragrance develops.
    Trumper Eua de Quinine is a perfect example of this - goes on very strong with a sweet powdery scent and then settles down for a while. And then after a few hours that sweet powder comes back with a vengeance.

Sillage is indeed fragrance specific. I was complimented on my fragrance a couple of weeks ago, 8 hours after I applied it by someone who I was at least 10 feet away from. It was Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills. Base- and mid- also have the potential to project quite powerfully, dependent on the fragrance.

Just a bit of trivia: 'sillage' in French actually means the 'wake' of a boat, or the 'slip-stream' of a plane. It's been commandeered by the fragrance world to mean the trail of perfume we leave behind.
    'sillon' means the furrow left by ploughing and 'sillonner' means 'to plough'. So it's all about leaving something behind!

As many have already said, it all depends on the fragrance as to which notes render sillage.

Basenotes Plus

Somewhat of a threadjack, but I did a search and could not locate any real advice, or maybe just used the wrong keywords. Would one of you fine folks provide any practical advice on how to test sillage? There's no one to ask at home; at work, my stock as a screwball would increase if I asked co-workers, "can you smell me from there?" Thank you , in advance.

Spray the back of your hand once with your fragrance. Leave the place where you sprayed, i.e. move to another room. Avoid smelling your fragrance up close, try to avoid the smell all together as much as you can until you leave the place where you actually sprayed your hand. If you can smell your fragrance with your arms at your side then, sillage is strong. If not, bring your hand slightly closer to your face (a couple of inches at most). If you can smell your fragrance, your sillage is moderate, etc. Keep moving your hand closer to your nose inch by inch until you can smell your fragrance. If you have to have your hand close to your nose, then it is a skin scent.

Remember this test is done with a single spray to self-test sillage.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 1st February 2010 at 01:44 AM.

good advice mrclmind

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, thank you, mrclmind!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Spray the back of your hand once with your fragrance. Leave the place where you sprayed, i.e. move to another room. Avoid smelling your fragrance up close, try to avoid the smell all together as much as you can until you leave the place where you actually sprayed your hand. If you can smell your fragrance with your arms at your side then, sillage is strong. If not, bring your hand slightly closer to your face (a couple of inches at most). If you can smell your fragrance, your sillage is moderate, etc. Keep moving your hand closer to your nose inch by inch until you can smell your fragrance. If you have to have your hand close to your nose, then it is a skin scent.

Remember this test is done with a single spray to self-test sillage.

mrclmind this is an awesome test procedure! u rocks!
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man