Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up I don't want to say I told you so, but.....

Quite a while ago Ambre Gris by Balmain was selling for about $90.00 and then the discounters got a bunch cheap which, sold for as little as $17.50. Some thought me crazy when I bought eight bottles. Now, supplies are hard to find at discounters and the retail has gone up, looks like because Balmain has been successful in controlling stock (my guess here). High end stores are selling it for over $100 now. I bought it because I like it and it layers well with other fragrances. The moral of this story is buy what you like in depth while it is cheap and then sit and grin at others when it goes up or gets discontinued or reformulated.

Yes, I am grinning.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 25th October 2009 at 08:07 PM.

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't want to say I told you so, but.....

Its good you jumped in and bought a whole bunch of stock N_Tesla, but I seem to see it still quite widely available on the net for $20 - $35. Keep sitting on those bottles though

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wink Re: I don't want to say I told you so, but.....

Well, let's see. Big Discount, 99perfume and Parfum1 are all out of stock and have been for some time. Price means little if you if they don't have product. I'm just happy I made a good decision for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Its good you jumped in and bought a whole bunch of stock N_Tesla, but I seem to see it still quite widely available on the net for $20 - $35. Keep sitting on those bottles though
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 25th October 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I still know of a place where it can be had cheap (though I haven't checked in over a week), but I'm waiting until my sample comes in, within the next few days before I jump on it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    Quite a while ago Ambre Gris by Balmain was selling for about $90.00 and then the discounters got a bunch cheap which, sold for as little as $17.50. Some thought me crazy when I bought eight bottles. Now, supplies are hard to find at discounters and the retail has gone up, looks like because Balmain has been successful in controlling stock (my guess here). High end stores are selling it for over $100 now. I bought it because I like it and it layers well with other fragrances. The moral of this story is buy what you like in depth while it is cheap and then sit and grin at others when it goes up or gets discontinued or reformulated.

Yes, I am grinning.
    Alright, who has Mr Tesla's address ??!!

I'll bring the pitchforks, you guys bring the torches. Let's get him and his stash of Ambre Gris !!!

Post Thanks / Like

N_Tesla, buying up all those bottles might have resulted in product scarcity and caused a temporary surge in price!

This is certainly a funny duality, Ambre Gris sits on the shelves of Barneys, Neiman Marcus and Collette for $100 a bottle while at the very same time it sells for around $20 on line. I was in London over the spring and Balmain de Balmain was on the shelf of Liberty for full price and yet it was, at the very same time, readily available on line, at a British website for 10. The same goes for Monsieur Balmain. I think Balmain's distributor must be dumping their stuff all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if Ambre Gris is available heavily discounted again. What has truly gone the way of the Dodo bird are those fantastic deals one used to be able to find on the LVMH owned products.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th October 2009 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    What has truly gone the way of the Dodo bird are those fantastic deals one used to be able to find on the LVMH owned products.
    Yes, I've never regretted buying older stock of numerous Guerlain classics (Mitsouko PDT, Chamade, Chant d'Aromes, Vol de Nuit, Parure, L'Heure Bleu, Nahema, Jardins de Bagatelle). I probably got these at a third of the current prices (or less), to the extent they are even available now. I bought them simply because I thought they were beautiful - I had no idea what would happen to the prices. I also bought one of the discounted Ambre Gris, and should probably bring it out to wear now that the weather has cooled down.

For me, it's not so much "I told you so," but rather that I can then swap with BNers in the future. They get something I think is very good, and I get something different. I did this with Everlast Original 1910 and Witness by Bogart. I have to admit, though, that it does hurt to swap off frags you really like, even when you have several new bottles! LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I feel this way about Encre Noire. Seriously - $105 in stores?!??!! Sure, you get to carry around a Saks bag and they'll throw in a couple of samples if you ask nicely, but I'll take the half-price bottle and buy some samples with the money I saved.

Oh, and non-exclusive Guerlains are the same way...

And Annick Goutal.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

I`d better take Ebene, Balmain de Balmain and Jolie Madame. Same discounted price and vintage parfum, please
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Oh, and non-exclusive Guerlains are the same way...And Annick Goutal.
    Most of the Guerlain products that are discounted on line come in the old packaging:

As opposed to this box:

When did the box change? I still see a mixture of both boxes in Saks and NM. The Guerlain boutiques only have the new style boxes.

Going back to the original point of this thread, I just did an exhaustive search for Ambre Gris on discount sites and it is out of stock everywhere. The only places I can find it online are Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus, for over $100. Go figure. =[

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I'll bring the pitchforks, you guys bring the torches. Let's get him and his stash of Ambre Gris !!!
    I have no clue what this is, but count me in!
    Last edited by warlandsboy; 14th January 2010 at 06:15 PM.