Code of Conduct

Default Ingredients List by IFRA

An interesting List by IFRA.

http://ifraorg.org/Home/News/Latest-...nDatapartId=25

Best EauxM

Default Re: Ingredients List by IFRA

More than interesting - a real treasure!
    Thank's for posting this, EauxM
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by EauxM View Post
    An interesting List by IFRA.

http://ifraorg.org/Home/News/Latest-...nDatapartId=25

Best EauxM
    Thanks, EauxM! This is indeed a gold mine. I was just casually scanning it when my eye was caught by this entry:
    "4845-99-2 Strychnidin-10-one, 2,3-dimethoxy-, sulfate (2:1)"

Strychnidin? That sounds scarily close to to strychnine, the poison of choice for murder mysteries in times of arsenic drought.
    So I googled the CAS number (it's some kind of labeling system to prevent chemical confusion across language barriers, I think) and poked around a bit.

http://www.chemicalbook.com/Chemical..._CB8707518.htm
    From another site:
    "Risk Statements

R26/28:Very Toxic by inhalation and if swallowed .
    R52/53:Harmful to aquatic organisms, may cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment .
    Safety Statements

S13:Keep away from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs .
    S45:In case of accident or if you feel unwell, seek medical advice immediately (show label where possible) .
    S61:Avoid release to the environment. Refer to special instructions safety data sheet ."

Yeah, it appears to be some form of strychnine. Some sources referred to it as "Brucine Sulfate" and searching for the name of the chemical kept bringing up EPA warning lists. I hope this is a mistake or I am confused over CAS numbers.

And I didn't find anything in the IFRA search that restricted it.
    Thank God it's not oakmoss!

Edit: Other noteworthy finds: Common wisdom was that animal products were no longer used in fragrance but the list includes casoreum, real musk tincture and civet.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 15th January 2010 at 06:04 AM.

Its not so bad Ziza ... Many of the items look awfully dangerous but are naturals. Good idea to google the CAS numbers to go deeper.

EauxM
    Last edited by EauxM; 15th January 2010 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EauxM View Post
    Its not so bad Ziza ... Many of the items look awfully dangerous but are naturals. Good idea to google the CAS numbers to go deeper.

EauxM
    I think this is one instance where the item looks awfully dangerous and IS awfully dangerous :P It's been banned by the EU and Canada in consumer products, so this must be a product from the American/S. American/Asian markets. It's just amusing that the IFRA only focuses on banning ingredients causing contact dermatitis and is just fine with neurotoxins/industrial waste. You could make "Eau de Lovecanal" (local ordinances permitting) with 50% Brucine Sulfate content (estimates put a lethal dose for an adult at 2 milligrams) and that would meet IFRA standards. There are also some prohibited IFRA ingredients that are on this list such as costus oil (albeit in a hydrogenated form) even though the 43rd Amendment has a blanket prohibtion on the ingredient and makes no mention of modified forms being acceptable.