Code of Conduct

Default Interesting Serge Lutens quote

Today, Now Smell This links to a new interview Osmoz did with Serge Lutens regarding his newest fragrance "L'Eau Serge Lutens" (interview here: http://www.osmoz.com/News-Trends/Int...s/Serge-Lutens)

Anyway, I found this quote interesting:

Is there a fragrance that you like to wear?

SL: I hardly ever wear fragrance. Only when I go out on the town. Which is to say three times a year. And every time, I pour on a whole bottle of Cuir Mauresque.

I'm not sure what is more strange to me, how little he wears fragrance or the fact of all his releases, he chooses Cuir Mauresque (really good stuff still, just seems like an odd fragrance to single out).

Anyway, really looking forward to this new, cleaner "anti-cologne" he's putting out. Anyone have an official release date?

Default Re: Interesting Serge Lutens quote

What a brilliant response, love you Mr. Lutens!

So a whole bottle is the secret... nice.

Sur la Plage

Does a whole bottle count as 1 (big) spray?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

What a cliched response....every other perfumer/house director/perfume critic says "I hardly wear perfume..."
    -

What a refreshing surprise.....

.....I was expecting something far simpler, and to the point....

....something concise like:

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    What a cliched response....every other perfumer/house director/perfume critic says "I hardly wear perfume..."
    True. Perhaps they deal with perfumes so often in their line of work that wearing one becomes just that...work.
    I'm still waiting for a fashion designer to say, "I hardly wear clothes..." Heh.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by diamondflame View Post
    i'm still waiting for a fashion designer to say, "i hardly wear clothes..." heh.
    :toppie:

Maybe if he stopped watering down his fragrances, he wouldn't need to use a full bottle. Duh!

Getting Serge to mutter a straightforward and coherent sentence is like getting blood from a stone. And to think he's communicating with his customers. Sheeez!

I think many perfumers would actually wear fragrances regularly, though some I guess are really just interested in creating and nothing less..Though is still very interesting! I most likely would wear perfume every day..and do!

Cheers and take care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Maybe if he stopped watering down his fragrances, he wouldn't need to use a full bottle. Duh!

Getting Serge to mutter a straightforward and coherent sentence is like getting blood from a stone. And to think he's communicating with his customers. Sheeez!
    I've read a few interviews from perfumers and I tend to read a similar air of abstract question answering.

I don't understand what the point of it is!?
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

A whole bottle, eh?

I wonder how he applies it, since he favors dabbing the scent instead of spray. Where and how would he dab the entire 75ml of it from the Bell Jar? Hmmm....

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I think his statement was showing a bit of humor. I can't imagine he was serious about applying 75ml of perfume! :P :P

I'd have thought perfumers would have to 'try out' their creations several times. I know I'd like to give a few full wearings to something that would bear my name!
    Is that not usually done?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Aerandir4 View Post
    I've read a few interviews from perfumers and I tend to read a similar air of abstract question answering.

I don't understand what the point of it is!?
    Why does there have to be a point? They are not gurus, they are not rocket scientists, their words are not meant to be quoted. They are ordinary guys whose creative medium is fragrance and confusing the value of an "artist's" production with the value of his words or actions is a very big and very common mistake.

-----------
    Last edited by Trebor; 15th January 2010 at 08:37 PM.

That was an interesting interview! I really liked his response about "favorite color". Black, purple, and crimson are my top 3 favorite colors! Even though black isn't considered a "color" to him

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    True. Perhaps they deal with perfumes so often in their line of work that wearing one becomes just that...work.
    I'm still waiting for a fashion designer to say, "I hardly wear clothes..." Heh.
    I think wine-making is a close analogue to perfume-making. I can't imagine any wine maker saying "I rarely drink wine."
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

he's just doing a little mythological maintenance which does go with the job of artiste now more than ever

and most designers don't wear clothes karl lagerfeld excepted and you see what a disaster that can be

But look at makeup artists Bobbi Brown etc. They create looks for models and the fashion shows, yet most do not wear makeup and dress in simple top and jeans.
    DONNA

I have to say re: wearing a whole bottle of CM, I've done it! I used to do it all the time! Now I think to myself how did I ever wear so much of it. Restraint is a good idea with Cuir Mauresque. Although I never got shown the door or anything. In fact once someone called me the next day and said, "I can still smell you in my bedding. Thank you." It's true! Seriously though 15 sprays or something. Excessive!
    Last edited by asingleman; 16th January 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Good lord though, now that I'm actually reading the interview what a roller coaster ride of highs and lows. Hearing him say "anti-perfume" just like Rei K I get flutters of excitement, but then he goes on to make it quite clear that if Nuit de Cellophane wasn't bad enough being a Dior knock-off that now he's come up with his own version of "Outrageous!" quite clearly, Serge is doing Gendarme. <groan> He must be really just about ready to pack it in, I'm afraid.... and honestly this is a crappy interview he can only come up with a tired old Picasso painting to extoll... I'm not impressed. I think it's time someone interviewed Mssr Sheldrake. He's probably the interesting one!

but then again it wasn't so long ago he did serge noire, which is pretty outrageous!