Code of Conduct

Thread: Crown Imperial

Question Crown Imperial

Since there are very few reviews on Crown Imperial, I have a few questions about it.

Is it discontinued or just hard to find?

How does it compare to other similar genre scent and eau de colognes?

Default Re: Crown Imperial

I am always interested in questions about Crown Perfumery. (So too is Primrose, I'm sure.) As I understand it, the Crown line generally has been discontinued and some of that line has been picked up by Anglia Perfumery. Unfortunately from your perspective, Crown Imperial is not one of those. So I think it has been discontinued. The BN notes on Crown and Anglia tell some of the story, as does the Anglia website. I'm looking for Marquis, and happily for me it has been picked up by Anglia. I hope it is the same as the Crown version, that was supposed to be one of the best green scents.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Any other thoughts?

It is much richer and deeper than most citrus scents. It shares with Penhaligon's Lords/Douro a very long-lasting bergamot top note but has a bigger, more powdery, and sweeter drydown. It is a dressy summer scent, perfect for a wedding on a June evening. I would not compare it to many lighter eau de cologne scents, and even its closest referent, the aforementioned Douro, lacks its class. I find Douro more useful for all purposes, but Imperial has its place.

Regards,
    T

bokaba,

The Crown Perfumery was acquired and put back into business in the late 1990s by an English businessman, who spent a considerable sum to reformulate the historic Crown scents. By and large, these reformulations were superbly done. Unfortunately, the public didn't flock to the line, and Clive Christian, the swine, bought the company so that he could launch his line using the Crown bottles, caps, and "history", and discontinued the existing product line. As mentioned above, Anglia picked up some of the line, but I haven't sampled any of them, and reports have not been entirely favorable. Imperial is an "eau de Portugal" scent, with more of an emphasis on orange in its citrus component than typical eau de colognes. Douro is a good comparison, as it, too, is an eau de Portugal type, but Imperial is rounder and sweeter. I also think Imperial uses better quality ingredients than the current version of Douro.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    It is much richer and deeper than most citrus scents. It shares with Penhaligon's Lords/Douro a very long-lasting bergamot top note but has a bigger, more powdery, and sweeter drydown. It is a dressy summer scent, perfect for a wedding on a June evening. I would not compare it to many lighter eau de cologne scents, and even its closest referent, the aforementioned Douro, lacks its class. I find Douro more useful for all purposes, but Imperial has its place.

Regards,
    T
    I agree with this statement. I actually have two bottles of this. TBoner hits the description right on the head.

Well, I was able to get a full 50ml bottle on Badger & Blade for $25 so I'll post my thoughts