Code of Conduct

Default Cedar-Vetiver and Narrow Interests

Lately I've found myself drawn to basically only two types of scents: bay rums and cedar-vetiver scents. I have been gradually narrowing my wardrobe for the past 2-3 months, trying to get down to 10 scents (not including bay rums). Suddenly, in the past two weeks, I've found it very easy to take things out of the rotation, and it's become very clear to me what sorts of scents I want to wear. I like cedar and vetiver, and I don't need much else, though citrus up top is fine. I have a couple of other frags that I know I'll wear with some regularity, but that's about it. My wardrobe is basically down to:

YSL Live Jazz
    Bowling Green
    L'Occitane Vetyver
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Terre d'Hermes
    Gucci Pour Homme
    LV Sandalo

I'd not mind replacing GPH with something slightly less synthetic, but hell, as you can see from this list, I don't have anything against Iso E Super when it's used well. I am considering swapping out TdH for Red Vetyver.

Beyond that, I'm looking for recommendations for another cedar-vetiver or two to add. I like the creamy aspect of Vettiveru, and may pick up a bottle. I like Whole Foods brand cedar-vetiver bath soap, and wouldn't mind a frag that smelled like it: very natural, EO-like, perhaps a soapy cedar-vetiver, something leaning toward vetiver but not pure soap (i.e. not Mugler Cologne)? Maybe something sort of transparent to wear in the heat?

I wouldn't be opposed to pine or juniper notes in the mix, as I use a lot of piney aftershaves.

I'm also wondering if anyone else finds themselves drawn to a sort of narrow group of frags. I have had and loved many well-done orientals, chypres, and old-school fougeres, but I'm almost always drawn to wearing these sort of woodsy, outdoorsy scents in the end.

Anyway, thanks for listening, and any recommendations are appreciated.

Regards,
    T

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Cedar-Vetiver and Narrow Interests

You need to try Tam Dao by Diptyque

You should try Lalique's Equus, if you haven't already. Probably my favourite cedar. The vetiver takes a bit of a back seat in the base.

I strongly second Equus and while you 're thinkimg about Red Vetiver, give also Vetiver des Sables a try. Unique!

Check out Paul Smith Story... kind of a boring vetiver but nice and it has a killer grapefruit opening.

Encre Noire and Sycamore rock.

Cheap and piney fresh... Oscar for Men.

You might also like Polo Modern Reserve and Yatgan is worth a test drive (let it dry down... fabulous).

Heritage for patchouli and cedar.

Best cedar I've tried is not pure or even dominantly cedar at times but Tauer's L'air du Desert Marocain is my favorite niche tested thus far. Haven't splurged yet on a bottle but it's a dry incensey cedar sauna with a killer amber drydown I cannot stop thinking about.

Although I do love lots of different frags for different reasons, occasions, sensations, etc., I seem to be drawn to woody/floral chypres and orientals. That would be my category of choice.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Fantastic thread and Fantastic suggestions guys!

I am somewhat in the same boat. I do enjoy light vetivers, not overly done, and cedar and various other wood like notes quite a bit.

TBoner: Have you considered Eau des Baux? Granted, it is more about cypress than cedar, but with a beautiful incense, much like your Gucci Pour Homme.

I do not want to hijack this thread, however TBoner, you mention Bowing Green in your lineup. It is next to impossible to acquire a decant of this fragrance, however a bottle can be had fairly cheap. Can someone kindly describe how Bowling Green wears compared to the others in TBoner's lineup as well as those suggested?

Also, Sycomore keeps coming up. I have read that it wears so light as to be almost ethereal in character. Could someone please comment on the comparison between Encre Noir and Sycomore? Does Sycomore have something more provocative, something harder to get one's arms around, no matter how ethereal in character?

Thanks and Great thread again!

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 16th January 2010 at 11:27 PM.

I only tested Sycomore, but I own Encre Noire and Guerlain Vetiver. I think of it as midway on a continuum from the angsty darkness of EN to the cheerful and zesty GV. Just my impression. It's a superbly blended frag and all three are wonderful, just on slightly different registers.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    Can someone kindly describe how Bowling Green wears compared to the others in TBoner's lineup as well as those suggested?
    On my skin Bowling Green dries down to sharply spicy sandalwood which I don't care much for. I don't find cedar but I keep getting cumin & fennel though these are not listed.

But I agree that Lalique Equus is a real cracker with a finely balanced cedar and vetiver.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th January 2010 at 02:53 PM.

If you like cedar/vetiver then you might really like Carven pour Homme. It's very nice and not expensive at all.

I'd recommend Givenchy Vetyver and two from Ormonde Jayne: Isfarkand & Man.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Some great suggestions here.
    Certainly Encre Noir in the vetiver line, also Givenchy. New suggestions include Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo and Jo Malone Vetiver.
    Cedar -- try Penhaligons Opus 1870, and Esteban Cedre if you can find some. Mechant Loup is also worth a sample.
    PINE -- well the field is truly yours to explore . Pino Silvester is easily available and not expensive. L'Occitane's 4 Voleurs is very good if you can find it. And Fou D'Absinthe is marvelous. Check out my Coneheads social group for discussion of woody and pine scents. And best wishes in your hunt!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Also, Sycamore keeps coming up. I have read that it wears so light as to be almost ethereal in character. Could someone please comment on the comparison between Encre Noir and Sycamore? Does Sycamore have something more provocative, something harder to get one's arms around, no matter how ethereal in character?
    Sycomore needs to be applied liberally otherwise it is very wispy and lasts for about an hour. Crunchy, smoky green vetiver given a bit of vegetal boost by some iris, and a dry incense note that is more like the white smoke of a grassfire than any kind of church frankincense. There's cedar in it definitely, but it's hardly a front row player. I used to think Encre Noire and Sycomore were quite similar, but don't so much anymore. Encre Noire is a lot darker, less interesting, the comparisons come about I think because they're both quite dry, and because Encre Noire is so much cheaper. LT sees a link between Sycomore and Timbuktu, and while they have the same clean smoke I think they're fairly different, especially with Timbuktu's spiky mango vs. Sycomore's zero fruit. (I'd love JCE to have another crack at this btw, Un Jardin ser Nil is great, but I reckon he could one up it Osmanthus/Osmanthe Yunnan style).

On the cedar vetiver, if you haven't already tried Vetiver Extraordinaire give it a go, it pretty much has two notes: cedar and vetiver. Ormonde Jayne Zizan is a nice simple citrus-vetiver-cedar. French Lover has a dense forest of other greens, but it has an especially prominent vetiver and a cedar-Iso E Super drydown. Also in this category is the new Van Cleef & Arpels Cologne Noire and Histoires de Parfums 1828 (Jules Verne).

Another possibly suitable frag not mentioned so far might be Lanvin Vetiver (vetiver-wood-herbs-spice)

Two more suggestions:

Comme des Garcons 2Man is a smoky, woody vetiver. It's often compared to Gucci Pour Homme. I like both, but I find that 2Man has a bit more depth. Widely available at discounters.

Comme des Garcons Incense Series: Kyoto is a cedary incense with vetiver. Terrific fragrance.

the perfect balance I have smelled so far is Rock Mountain Wood by Dsquared Not the wood. It lasts pretty long too

Can someone kindly describe how Bowling Green wears compared to the others in TBoner's lineup as well as those suggested?
    Bowling Green starts with a sharp lemon. Overall, similar to YSL Pour Homme (the old one from the 70's) but whereas the YSL dries down to a herbal thyme note, BG dries down to a delicious nutty wood that to me smells faintly like roast almonds. I love this stuff and it has amazing sillage and longevity for what is basically a citrus fragrance.

My own experience with Bowling Green hews closer to Trufflehunter's than to Diamondflame's, though I certainly agree that the spice notes are persistent. A citrus and pine fragrance, it is admittedly a bit of an outlier in my collection, and its drydown doesn't have much cedar to speak of: nutty sandalwood says it just about right, to combine the two descriptions above. There are also notes of patchouli and slightly powdery coumarin, though the latter is not prevalent. I find it a terrific summer scent thanks to the big lemon blast and the persistent but not overbearing drydown. A really nice aromatic fougere.

Thank you for the suggestions here. Sycomore will certainly go on my to-sample list. I have owned Givenchy Vetyver, but ultimately got a fenugreek/maple thing from it that I didn't love, and for some reason, it didn't last on me anyway. I have 4 Voleurs, but actually mean to sell it. It is a very nice scent, lovely herbaceous middle and a beautiful melding of pine and cedar, but it has limited legs on me, too. I get good longevity from most everything, but not this one. Perhaps I'll give it one more shot before the sale.

Lalique Equus and Carven Homme are certainly on my radar now, too, and they weren't before. I appreciate the suggestions. Now, about 2Man and Kyoto, is Luckyscent the only reputable place to get these online? I will sample first from TPC, but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking any other online sellers as I shop for those.

Thanks again, and more suggestions are always welcome.

Regards,
    T

P.S. I do mean to come over and check out the Coneheads group. I love juniper and fir. Really need to round out my scent selection in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Now, about 2Man and Kyoto, is Luckyscent the only reputable place to get these online? I will sample first from TPC, but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking any other online sellers as I shop for those.
    2Man is widely available from discounters (some of which are reputable :-) and on eBay. The street price seems to run about half of what you'd pay at LuckyScent.

Kyoto does not seem to have entered the gray market, so you're pretty much looking at LuckyScent.com, BeautyHabit.com, or a private transaction (I saw a bottle for sale here that was pretty recent). It's less than $100, though. BeautyHabit has had 15% or 20% off coupons in the past.

The two best cedar-vetivers that I have tried (which also create a mineral feel) are L'Occitane Vetyver EDT and Creed Vetiver EDT. Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire is also a green vetiver with a woody-mossy base.
    -

Are we talking Creed Vetiver 1948 or Creed OV?

Thanks.

Regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Are we talking Creed Vetiver 1948 or Creed OV?

Thanks.

Regards,
    T
    Vetiver 48, which is an EDT. OV is an EDP.
    -

Thanks. Was not aware of the '48 being an EDT.

Regards,
    T

For Cedar sample Greyland, by Mondale. Notes of Cedar mingle with Vetiver,Sandlewood,Leather,and a little Musk, and a hint of Rose.On me longevity is great.Not mentioned alot,but I think this to be a very well blended fragrance.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Vetiver 48, which is an EDT. OV is an EDP.
    That is my suggestion as well.

Blog Entries

If you like cedar then try Tumulte Pour Homme by Chrisian Lacroix which, has cedar in the top, mid, and base notes.