Code of Conduct

Default Liz Upton's interview with Christopher Brosius (CB I Hate Perfume)

The perfumer who hates perfume: An interview with Christopher Brosius
    by Liz Upton, 01 September 2008.
    http://www.basenotes.net/images/fronts/brosius.jpg
    Zephyr is a big dog. I met him a month ago and a few thousand miles away, but as I shut my eyes, it is as if he's lying on the carpet in front of me. He's rolling on his back, encouraging me to rub his pinkly dogsome tummy, and he smells very strongly and wetly canine. His master, Christopher Brosius, would understand this hallucinatory kind of scent memory - in this case sparked by some smears of doggy smell that rubbed off my hands onto my notebook and seem to have been fixed by something on the scent test strips I have tucked into the cover. Brosius' perfumery is all about lucid and occasionally startling scent memories and illusions. The vials in his shop are magic portals which allow you to revisit your grandmother's tomato greenhouse, experience a worm's-eye view of a luminous flower or stamp your way through a hot, mulchy forest; all standing in a bare room with your eyes tightly shut and your nose twitching with surprise. [more...]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Liz Upton's interview with Christopher Brosius (CB I Hate Perfume)

Thnx Grant! was a refreshing read.

Thanks for that. Good to see Squeezeweasel again in some capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. For a newbie learning about this stuff that was a great read. I like his conversation on people who wear too much. I wonder what scent he was talking about after Axe where an ad was brought up?
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I'm so intrigued by CB and his perfumes, so this is much appreciated.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful article!
    Liz described Christopher's shop, his scents & even Zephyr perfectly! Well, at least exactly as I remember them.
    Thank you so much.
    Your article was an instant scent memory for me.
    "Mom.now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Post Thanks / Like

Great read! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for posting this article. I enjoy CB's scents, especially Burning Leaves and Gathering Apples layered for fall. I like that CB doesn't pretend that perfume must be made from natural ingredients to smell good. While acknowledging that he uses chemicals, he uses them in such unique ways that his "perfumes" become very special to those of us who think of scent as memory.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so lucky to live in Brooklyn and not too far from CB's store. The first time I went, I dragged my husband. He was fascinated. at that time, CB had a library of scents like roast beef, burnt rubber and - our favorite - baby doll head - around the store. it was such fun and my husband was engaged with CB in a long discussion about olfaction and the parts of the brain that react to scent. It was such a fun perfume experience (and of course, I walked out with a couple of bottles). I tell people they need to include his store in their tours of Brooklyn. Memory of Kindness is my favorite (and Demeter's Tomato...his original). Must try his earth though - hubby loved Demeter's Dirt!