Code of Conduct

Default Is it ok to wear pure Vetiver oil?

How about Frankincense oil?
    Should I layer this with for example Sandalwood?
    How much drops to mix?

Default Re: Is it ok to wear pure Vetiver oil?

NEVER! Are you crazy?!

All sarcasm aside, yes, why not?

I like to mix coconut oil with vetiver and sandalwood essential oil, sometimes with a few drops of ylang ylang and grapefruit.

Nice. I always thought vetiver oil was too harsh to apply directly on your body.

It's never a good idea to put undiluted essential oils on the skin; many oils are irritants at full strength and direct exposure over time can lead to chemical sensitivities. Make a dilution in a carrier oil or alcohol.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Not only is it never a good idea, it can also be dangerous - apart from being irritants as surreality says, some pure oils can also act as allergens even if you are not usually allergic to the ingredient and this could potentially, in a worst case scenario, lead to all sorts of problems. Think of it as the difference between a normal bottle of strong liquor you'd buy in a liquor store, compared to drinking pure ethanol or something - DON'T DO IT.

It is quite common to apply pure sandalwood and patchouli oils, but I think pure vetiver would be too harsh. This is not even considering irritation or allergy (though I think if you were going to have an allergy problem you would have it already even with much weaker perfumes).

This discussion really should be in the DIY forum I believe. Grape seed oil is an excellent carrier oil. You want to dilute it by a minimum of 4 parts carrier to 1 part essential. 10 parts carrier to 1 part essential is actually fine too... Not only is diluting essential oils better for you from a health perspective, but your fragrance will bloom much better when diluted.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 17th January 2010 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_from_Shalimar View Post
    Nice. I always thought vetiver oil was too harsh to apply directly on your body.
    I've used it, even on damaged skin, without irritation. In the latter case, just enough to rub onto the area was more than enough to scent my entire office, through my clothing, ALL afternoon ... and that wasn't even from the *good* bottle. Then again, I never used it day after day, and repeated exposure is the usual route to sensitization.

However, we're talking a full-strength oil usually used as a base note. One full drop is way too bloody much, and it doesn't just come off either. You will be a lot happier working with it diluted.

I've tested vetiver oil at least once, and, while it smelled a bit awkward at first, due to an excessive grassy and earthy tone, it then projected into something truly awesome: comforting, persistent, aside all that, pleasant on the skin and quite unique-smelling.

Am not trying to derail the thread but since we are talking about Vetiver Oil, can we also talk about which Vetiver Oil is a good one to try?
    After having bought a lot of vetiver fragrances in the last 2 months or so, I would love to try a few vetiver oils. Thanks

The major shop I sometimes visit to familiarize myself with the smell of specific extracts and essences warns the customer to always dilute these materials before using them on skin. They recommend neutral oils or (almost) pure alcohol for that. In their crash courses on perfumery Fragonard (Grasse / France) encourage customers to use alcohol. In what situations which dilutants would be preferable, and at what ratio, has frequently been discussed in Fragrance DIY, as another poster has already indicated.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th January 2010 at 09:14 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Many oils are indeed hazardous. However, vetiver, sandalwood and some others are fine. They have been used this way for centuries. I regularly wear pure vetiver oil and would wear sandawood if I could find any good enough to wear (also if I trusted to be pure and not chock full of synthetic chemicals)
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

WoW..brave..nah, it's a lovely botanical process. Do enjoy!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I do, and it is worth it more than other expensive fragrances.

I have a pure vetiver oil ad have worn it from time to time. Never had irritation or any other bad reaction.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Vetiver is quite a gentle essential oil since its got many alcohol groups but I'd still dilute it just in case. However, you do want to layer it with something else otherwise it can smell like peanut oil on some skins.

Here's an idea:

2ml carrier oil
    6 drops vetiver
    4 drops sandalwood
    3 drops patchouli (or frankincense)
    2 drops petitgrain bigrade
    5 drops ylang ylang

that will give u 3 mls of vetiver centered parfum extrait

have fun and let me know how you go!