Code of Conduct

Default 1st time poster looking for advice...

Quick background:

I'm relatively young, looking for a few new scents, but don't have heaps of money (don't wanna spend $180 on creed or whatever it retails for) but I need to assemble a few scents. I already own JPG: Le Male and Guess.

What I don't want is something that smells too much like perfume and isn't way too musky either. I'd like a nice but subtle scent for work as well and I'd be willing pay for a scent I really liked, I've heard of people snagging Creed bottles off the net for under $100 new, are they really that much better than everything else?

I've sampled the following:
    D&G The One (not bad)
    Gucci by Gucci (liked it, but it seems to loose some of it's punch kinda quickly)

Would appreciate some feedback and advice if anyone has any, just don't know much about scents.

Default Re: 1st time poster looking for advice...

If you already have a couple of bottles, I suggest getting some samples. You can go to a place like Sephora and try a few, then get a couple of samples of the ones you think you like. Over time, you will figure out which ones you will use so much that they are "fully bottle worthy." Also, some BNers sell samples, so take a look at the sales board.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 17th January 2010 at 04:40 AM.

+1 to Bigsley... it's hard just based on that little info and you not really knowing your own preferences to just list what'll work for you. Spend a few days working your way through various department stores and sephoras and the likes smelling and writing down names of what you like, don't and why, then come back.

Based on where you're coming from and your budget, try D&G Pour Homme (half oval bottle, blue round cap) and YSL L'Homme (round cylindrical bottle, large silver metal octagonal topper). These are both pretty youngish scents but still relatively mature, good safe work choices and can be found for relatively cheap.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Something wonderful, which is also extremely affordable, is and remains to me Rive Gauche PH by YSL, so it might be worth giving it a try one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper Dave View Post
    I'd like a nice but subtle scent for work as well and I'd be willing pay for a scent I really liked, I've heard of people snagging Creed bottles off the net for under $100 new, are they really that much better than everything else?
    IMO, no they aren't much better than everything else, nor are they worth the price. They do have a couple good scents but there are much better perfume houses out there worth exploring. Checkout Lucky Scent just to get a general idea of how many great houses are out there to explore!

I suggest trying out a few different ones that are in different categories, so you can see which type of scent you enjoy. For example:

Clean/barbershop/soapy - Rive Gauche, Versace The Dreamer
    Tea notes - Gucci Pour Homme II, Bvlgari Black
    Dry/ spicy/sweet - Gucci Pour Homme I, Thierry Mugler B*Men
    Sweet/smoky (tobacco) - Burberry London
    Very sweet/gourmand (foody) - Thierry Mugler A*Men
    Aquatic - Davidoff Cool Water, Bvlgari Aqua
    Fresh/sporty - Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Versace Pour Homme

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Get some samples from Sephora or wherever, try one on skin and smell it on and off over the next 6-8 hrs. 'Rinse and repeat' with the others. Do you like it? Do your family/friends have anything to say about it? Decide then. Taking recommendations from someone who may not share your tastes is risky, unless you enjoy the thrill of a 'blind purchase'.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to check out those scents this weekend and report back my thoughts. I would like 2-3 more scents to add to what I already have. For anybody curious I'm a young professional (25), athletic and like going out when I can, I also have pretty dry skin tbh, used to swim a LOT. Dunno if this helps, also live in the midwest so I get all types of weather for all four seasons.

Creed, IMO, is a little expensive for what you get. If you're going to spend that much, there are better houses.

That doesn't mean I hate them - I have two full bottles, and I'd very much like to have more. But when it comes to the purchase, there always seems to be a better fragrance to put that much money into.

I believe that Creed is also very widely counterfeited, so I'd be careful of buying it from anyone whose reputation you don't know.