Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Visconti di Modrone, an aristocratic fragrance house?

Please forgive my ignorance and my lack of all-round knowledge, but is the fragrance house Visconti di Modrone (the manufacturer of Acqua di Selva, among others), in any way related to the Italian aristocratic family bearing the same name, former rulers of Milan for centuries and also ancestors of Luchino Visconti? Or is it just another pseudo-aristocratic marketing gimmick (see some Creeds, some of the back-history of Acqua di Parma or Muehlens...) with no historical basis? Any additional info will be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Default Re: Visconti di Modrone, an aristocratic fragrance house?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Please forgive my ignorance and my lack of all-round knowledge, but is the fragrance house Visconti di Modrone (the manufacturer of Acqua di Selva, among others), in any way related to the Italian aristocratic family bearing the same name, former rulers of Milan for centuries and also ancestors of Luchino Visconti? Or is it just another pseudo-aristocratic marketing gimmick (see some Creeds, some of the back-history of Acqua di Parma or Muehlens...) with no historical basis? Any additional info will be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Ken, the *name* would seem to indicate your suspicions about the origins, but--as you know--fragrance houses are often the result of marketing strategies loosely based on history. In some cases, these houses' origins are entirely manufactured.

Has your research found anything? (You should see "Perfume Presentations" and "The Perfume Handbook" for the origins of Parfums D'Orsay...and also see Luca Turin on the House of Rance...eye openers.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.