Code of Conduct

Question In Search of Leather: with a twist of personal taste.

Hi guys,

I haven't been online in a while but the sense and love of smell definently returned.

Though, I'm looking for a leather perfume at the moment. It should be a perfume suited for my current weather, wich is equal to "I freeze my balls off for sure". It's freezing here for quite some weeks with snow now.. But, the main focus I want is a masculine, maybe a little sweet leather smell.

Using the database I found a few "contenders" ?

Btw, already got Dior Homme (:

Chanel Allure Homme edt. Blanche
    Juicy Couture Dirty English
    Burberry the Beat
    Azzaro Now
    Kiton Black

Just saw the Dirty English can be found pretty cheap. Is there any of those wich is a good piece of work? Or do I have to own one?

*edit*
    I dont mind something seducing, sensual, elegant.. haha.

Thanks in advance!
    Giustino
    Last edited by Giustino; 11th January 2010 at 07:45 PM.
    unico grande amore.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: In Search of Leather: with a twist of personal taste.

I like none of your suggestions, for a quality leather scent. I prefer Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford and/or Aoud Leather by Montale. Looking for something cheaper / designer? Try Aramis by Aramis.

yea its freezing like crazy over here

Glad to know someone else is freezing their butt off and has tonnes of snow as we do.

For you I am going to recommend a masterpiece I only recently discovered, Chanel Antaeus (vintage is what I'm currently obsessed with).

Enjoy!

My personal leather favs are:
    Derby
    Royal English Leather
    Cuir de Russie (Chanel)
    Bel Ami
    Knize 10

For less expensive, I definitely agree with Aramis
    Last edited by mrclmind; 11th January 2010 at 08:54 PM.

Dependent

You need to try Elsha 1776 Russian Leather . Top quality leather scent, that can be had for a reasonable price. See reviews.

Though it's not strictly leather, I think you might enjoy Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia. It smells like the seats of an Italian sports car in which someone has been smoking some fine pipe tobacco. Sexy stuff.

Sur la Plage

Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Although not 100% leathery, Givenchy Gentleman, Geo F. Trumper's Spanish Leather, Daniel Hechter's Caractere, Rocabar by Hermes, Azzaro PH, Trussardi Uomo, Versace L'Homme, plus the mass-market classic with almost niche-like qualities Tabac Original all have wonderfully innovative and persistent leather notes and can all still be obtained at reasonable prices. From the aforementioned suggestions, REL by Creed, Knize Ten, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Chanel Antaeus and Aramis in particular are all, while not being always the most affordable, the best value for money, thus an excellent long-term investment, due to their lasting power, the creative complexity and the uncommon, yet undeniable touch of class and timeless elegance.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 11th January 2010 at 11:32 PM.

A second for Aramis, Knize Ten and Cuir Pleine Fleur.

I also recommend Parfum d'Empire's Cuir Ottoman, which I liken to a "saddle and flower" scent. Leather and jasmine notes.

Ditto for Cuir de Lancome. Marketed to women, it is also a lovely jasmine/leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

My choice for a warm, cozy leather would be Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque. A strong somewhat animalic birch tar leather note but upholstered with warm spices and a bit of sweetness. Lovely stuff.

Cuir d'Iris or Cuir Venenum by Parfumerie Generale both are great leather scents
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie is about as masculine as anyone could possibly want or need.
    Last edited by surreality; 11th January 2010 at 11:31 PM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Tuscan leather, Cuir Ottoman and if you can get it Channel vintage Antaeus!
    Last edited by ANGIESDOEBOY; 12th January 2010 at 01:54 AM.

Cool Re: In Search of Leather: with a twist of personal taste.

Giustino: I've got to agree with mikeperez that your suggestions may end up not making you jump for joy.

I'd recommend Royal English Leather by Creed or Kolnisch Juchten by Parfums Regence.
    There are others, but these are perfect for freezing balls weather.

And if these prove too expensive compared to Dirty English, save the dough and go online to Amazon and get Imperial Leather SOAP by Cussons.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Though leather's not my cup of team I'll second many of the above recomendations.

+1 to TF Tuscan Leather, Cuir Russie, etc. Something like SMN Nostalgia is a different twist. I'll also add Armani Prive Cuir Amethyst, again another different take on leather. Lastly, Daim Blond. All three of these are leathers with a twist. IMO the best "pure" leather scent is Tuscan Leather
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 13th January 2010 at 05:00 AM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Ditto on K10 and Cuir Ottoman.

I'd add: Cuiron (if you can find it) and Lonestar Memories, which I've been particularly liking during our recent bout of cold weather.

Antaeus, Knize 10, Cuir de Lancome, Aramis (or I prefer Cabochard) are all great scents.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

yet another vote for Tuscan Leather
    it's different from the rest with a good true leather smell and cuts through the cold like a good leather should

there are many great leathers but for winter I would stick with TL or perhaps cuir ottoman & cuir d'iris
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

A lot of leathers suffer from smelling like urinal cakes like Kouros and urinal cakes at Buckingham Palace like Royal English Leather. I personally don't like leather based scents. The only nice one I've ever smelled in Acqua di Borsari Classica and then of course there's Dunhil 1934, which is a masterpiece with a drop of leather in the base.

Montale Aoud Leather

Oh, I forgot... Jolie Madame by Balmain. Don't let the name scare you off. More leather and less floral than Dior Homme. It's Knize 10-lite to me.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Caron PH is a nice leather Frag, though not completely acquired of leather it does contain severe margins. I find it works well in the winter as in summer it seems to cloy and circumvent at a minimal pace, nothing too suffocating. Though, as you said, you'd like a winter frag and as well as Caron PH I do suggest Azzaro PH! My successor for winter frags! It's an amazingly smooth transition of leather and spice. Nothing overtly zesty, just well proceeded. Contains hints of floral bouquets and amber. I own and love this frag!

Though Caron PH and Azzaro PH are nice.

Cheers and take Care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Though it's not strictly leather, I think you might enjoy Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia. It smells like the seats of an Italian sports car in which someone has been smoking some fine pipe tobacco. Sexy stuff.
    Good description.

Quote Originally Posted by Giustino View Post
    *edit*
    I dont mind something seducing, sensual, elegant.. haha.

Thanks in advance!
    Giustino
    That calls for Etat Libre d'Orange's Tom of Finland, and a much cheaper yet superior (IMO) cohort -- Ava Luxe Film Noir. Bold, dark sexy bondage/bdsm style leather yet surprisingly wearable.

It's a pity Film Noir doesn't seem to attain the mileage on here it truly deserves.
    Last edited by Amit; 12th January 2010 at 08:45 AM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Pascal Morabito OR Black

Also: Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Caron PH is a nice leather Frag, though not completely acquired of leather it does contain severe margins.
    That's very interesting. I'm not used to thinking of this one as a leather scent. Is it the Civet note that you feel gives it a leather feel to it?

I could say that I really love only one leather scent - Lonestar Memories.
    I also like Rien, Vierges & Toreros, Cuir Ottoman, Knize Ten and Habit Rouge.
    Hmmm… It seems that I have enumerated all leather scents I have in my wardrobe.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather

Btw, already got Dior Homme (:
    Chanel Allure Homme edt. Blanche
    Juicy Couture Dirty English
    Burberry the Beat
    Azzaro Now
    Kiton Black[/I]
    No leather scents, IMO. For a classic leather scent I would suggest Cuir de Russie, Chanel, Knize Ten, Eau d´Hermès, Aramis or Azurée and Bandit. Or some modern renditions: Lonestar Memories, Baladin, Tuscan Leather, Jil Sander Scent 79 man, Poivre Samarcande, 1740 Marquis de Sade or Cuir de Lancôme.
    Last edited by sables; 12th January 2010 at 03:18 PM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

+1 to Cuir de Russie, Aramis, Cuiron, Cuir Lancome, Cuir d'Iris, Cuir Pleine Fleur, SMN Nostalgia

Add classics:
    Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur
    Gucci pour Homme (original)

Niche recs:
    Histoire de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Sonoma Scent Studio Fireside Intense or Tabac Aurea

Other designer options:
    John Varvatos by John Varvatos
    Aigner Black bu Etienne Aigner
    Aigner Man 2 Evolution by Etienne Aigner

Default AW: In Search of Leather: with a twist of personal taste.

It should be a perfume suited for my current weather, wich is equal to "I freeze my balls off for sure"... But, the main focus I want is a masculine, maybe a little sweet leather smell...*edit*..I dont mind something seducing, sensual, elegant..
    You sound as if you were still young of age. So I would suggest you consider Helmut Lang's Cuiron. You may have to check with more than one good store if they still have it. - It's hard to top Knize Ten, so you could leave that for later and also (maybe) the current version of Chanel's Cuir de Russie.

But if my assumption is wrong, and you are at least thirty: Antaeus is certainly special, manly, and elegant. If you already tried and liked that one you may be ready for Caron's Tabac Blond. . Although stripped of precious components in 2007 it still leaves ordinary leathers found in the directory far behind.

My ultimate suggestion for leather happens to be my personal favorite (after vintage TB, that is ): Santa Maria Novella's Peau d'Espagne. The only one I would trade that for would be vintage Cuir de Russie (1960s -70s) which my father used. I remember it as having been less sweet and feminine than it is nowadays.
    Last edited by narcus; 17th January 2010 at 02:15 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Minus 20 and you are frozen? Hahaha! We spent more than week with -30-40 and still alive!
    I should accent that in this climate does not matter - what you are using. Nose just refuses to work outdoors.

To the subject.
    I prefer Cuir de Russie (Chanel, Creed, Jardin Retrouve), Cuir d`Iris PG, Cuir de Lancome, Antaeus Chanel and Bel Ami Hermes. Sometimes Gomma by Etro is OK. Homme by Xerjoff is too exclusive and expensive, and I use it very seldom but it`s great.
    From the vintages I use Juchten by 4711, Cabochard Gres (it`s better than Aramis for me), Azuree Lauder and Or Black Morabito.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Is there anyone in europe here who could provide me with a Tuscan Leather sample? I'd pay ofcourse.. because the likes of perfumedcourt will get expensive right away..
    unico grande amore.

You may also want to sample some fragrances with a touch of tobacco. I think that tobacco and leather both fall into the category of "dry woods", so sometimes while a fragrance has a tobacco note, you my feel it as leather. I"m still trying to understand this a bit better, but this is what I have garnered.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thanks for all the advices.. I'm gonna order a few samples.. If we're still missing a few.. let me know (:
    unico grande amore.

I should have given you a list of scents to try as well:

Aigner Black : I find that this does wear close to the skin, but it does have a sweet leather smell to it. It does come across as a bit like shoe polish, but it is not a "bad smell". Perhaps the slight shoe polish smell is something I conjure up because of the association of me polishing my black leather shoes (?). I think Aigner scents are easier to find in Europe than in North America.

Azzaro Acteur : This may be a bit of a challenge to you because of your age. Don't take that as an insult. I experience the same thing as well. It is from 1989, so it may come across as a bit abrasive. But along with a floral note, it does have leather into its drydown.

Knize Ten : I don't recommend this and will tell you why. Way too much castoreum. Comes arcoss as an overdose of garage smells and is just not very wearable to me. That is just my opinion, however.

John Varvatos: I don't recommend this one as well. The black leather does not come out on ( my) skin. You could likely try this one in a mall or so.

I'm not leather expert, but I find it to be a very tough ( note). The one I love ( or did love) was Helmut Lang Cuiron. You can't really find it anywear, so I don't want to recommend it. I find that alot of the better leather fragrances just smell too harsh for me ( because they are somewhat "dated"). Or they are niche, which is fine, but you have to go and seek the samples out. Depends where you live, however. The one I really want to smell is Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque. Good luck.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Eau d`Italie. Bois d`Ombrie. Whiskey, cognac, tobacco, wild carrot, leather, and much more goodies. A very masculine and unique fragrance. Try it! You want regret..

Bel Ami.....
    url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/972]Wardrobe[/url]