Code of Conduct

Default Does Basnotes influence you...

...on your taste?
    It seems that i keep way more fragrances without selling because i keep on reading on basenotes until i actually like the scent. I think to myself so many positive comments about a scent has to mean something.
    f.example i wouldnt have liked encre noire that much when i wouldn't be registered on basenotes. There are dozens of frags which i felt the same way.
    Do you feel the same ?

addicted2scents

Default Re: Does Basnotes influence you...

it's a perfect place to make me smell scents I'd never try by myself.. but for my taste.. basenotes doesn't really have influence on me.
    unico grande amore.

Yes. It influences me big time. I'm able to hear about scents that I've never heard of befrore.

Basenotes influences me, but in a great way! Basenotes helps me look in the direction of my next buy. There are quite a few reviewers that my nose seems to agree with and I tend to look for frags that are recommended by them (JaimeB, SirSlarty,).
    I may not always agree with them, but more than not I tend to like most of their likes. Thanks Basenotes!
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

In that it provides a forum for me to share my thought's, and view the thought's of other's who enjoy fragrances.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Yes. Absolutely

I think it influences me ,more or less.

Admittedly I do tend to only go for fragrances that are in the most reviewed list, and ones that are for the majority well received.

I think it's a a nearly half-half proportion: I love some frags unconditionally, and while I sill have very strong, very independent and quite uncommon opinions about all the other frags, any input from Basenotes is appreciated- even when it doesn't influence me radically.

No, not at all.

I think you're trying too hard to convince yourself to like some scents, like the Encre Noire you illustrated as an example. In my opinion -- that's damaging behavior. Trust me, I've learned the hard way too. You'll end up with scents you'll wonder why you even bought in the first place.

Influence is nice, but let it be the right kind of influence. Don't try to like a scent -- let it happen naturally -- sample extensively, and then buy.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes hasn't influenced my nose, like everyone else, I like what I like, but I have learnt so much from such an incredibly knowledgeable crowd and have been steered towards houses that I didn't even know existed. I've sampled more in the last year than I ever did in the 49 that preceded it!

I don't think I'll ever be a "nose", but I'm having a great time trying, thanks to you guys.

My credit cards hate you all, though....

It would be difficult to say BN doesn't influence me. But now I've developed the ability to make it a part of a research process if I'm looking for something.

There are many, many people in here who hate some of my faves and love some things I would never wear. It's all highly subjective. But, this is the ultimate resource for a good broad view of men's frags that's for sure.

I usually know a lot before i try something, but if I like it on me, I buy it.

Basenotes has definitely influenced me. And this includes my nose and what I like ( and don't). As well, sometimes I will read a review or comments made by someone, and then something just "clicks". I understand a fragrance better.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 16th January 2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Basenotes has definitely influenced me. And this includes my nose and what I like ( and don't). As well, sometimes I will read a review or comments made by someone, and then something just "clicks". I understand a fragrance better.
    I think this encapsulates what BaseNotes is all about. This is the impact BaseNotes has had on me. Its about understanding frags better, in an interactive manner. The choices one makes thereafter are left to one's self (read nose).

The "something just clicking" happened (once again!!!) yesterday with Erolfa. It was just a passing comment in a thread. I then re-read the reviews (perhaps the thousandth time) and next thing, i was at the shop that sells Creeds here. I was left wondering why i hadn't bought it earlier.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

As of now I only try things that get good reviews on here and by LT and CB to narrow down my choices. There are too many things to try, so I'm working through the most publicly acclaimed to the least known. Basenotes, LT, CB, et al. only influence what I try, not what I like.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Basenotes is by far my biggest influence, but Basenotes has never changed my opinion on a fragrance, just given me information and opinions about fragrances in general.

It used to.. but now I know that fragrances (like everything else) are enjoyed by some and hated by some. A lot of the fragrances that are hailed as "well made" smell rather old and dated. Of course, that's not always the case. Encre Noire, Dolce & Gabbana's By Man, & Gucci Pour Homme II are all great scents that I wouldn't have tried if it wasn't for this site. The most important thing I get from BN is knowledge.. I now know to take the advice with a grain of salt.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    I think you're trying too hard to convince yourself to like some scents, like the Encre Noire you illustrated as an example. In my opinion -- that's damaging behavior. Trust me, I've learned the hard way too. You'll end up with scents you'll wonder why you even bought in the first place.

Influence is nice, but let it be the right kind of influence. Don't try to like a scent -- let it happen naturally -- sample extensively, and then buy.
    Oh yeah... Major +1.

Just to add my personal experience: What BN has done, is made me more open to trying things that I would NEVER have imagined I would like. It's made me explore beyond my preferences. Also like Surfacing mentioned, sometimes you read something someone has written about a scent, you go and try it, and it just "clicks". And when something "clicks" and I get to understand the scent, I feel much more inclined to appreciate it (doesn't necessarily mean I would end up in favor of the scent and buying it) , as opposed to being entirely clueless as to what I'm smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post

well said

Blog Entries

It influences me to try stuff, which leads me to buy stuff, which isn't always best for my wallet. I really should stay off of here.

BUT...we all know how that goes.

My own likes and dislikes aren't influenced by anything but my own nose.

I think BN educates more than influences me, but sometimes I do just impulse buy based on nothing else than very enthusiastic and unanimous reviews. Pair this with my usual practice of (informed) blind buying (I'm in the UK and outside London, so cheap samples/decants aren't easy to come by), and sometimes it misfires - I snagged a bottle of Molinard Ambre off the 'Bay recently due to the fantastic reviews on BN, but when I cracked it open it was the sweetest and most powdery thing I've ever smelt, and those two notes together are always a thumbs down from me.

Yes, I know - my fault entirely for blind buying, and I acknowledge that. But most of the time my blind impulse buys when they are BN informed turn out fine.

So I guess that's a yes and a no.

I used to buy into the Basenotes hype. I would smell something and decide it has to be good because its popular on Basenotes and then purchase it. Now, I just use BN as a (terrific) source of information about fragrances. I decide on my own if I like the scent or not.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by jcrich View Post
    My credit cards hate you all, though....
    LOL. But NOT your credit card company.

I'm never one who's afraid to swim against the tide of public opinion so no, Basenotes has little influence on my perfume buying habits. But it has certainly broadened my appreciation of different scentscapes.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 17th January 2010 at 03:48 PM.

When I started out yes i admit BN was a big influence in developing my taste. Before BN my taste was only for aquatics and nothing else. But after quite a few bad buys I discovered what I like and dislike in scents and I have been a more cautious buyer nowadays. I think no one can admit BN doesn't influence them at all especially those newer less seasoned members. In time we will all evolve in terms of frag taste and develop our own unique taste for frags. If it had not been for BN, I would never had experience and own great frags like Antaeus, Kouros and Rive Gauche.
    Last edited by JoNnY 4; 17th January 2010 at 04:28 PM.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Yep

Yes, Definitly. Basenotes is the place where i started to learn the true story behind fragrances. however sometimes i get "fooled" by tons of positive reviews on a fragrances that i cant stand !!!
    Last edited by ausamamira; 18th January 2010 at 06:45 AM.

Of course it influences me. Why else would I be here? My blind buys are as a result of the praise that certain fragrances receive on Basenotes.

I do not let Basenotes influence me. I only rotate maybe 3 scents at a time, and while that lineup changes, it's more of my own volition than due to what I read here.. I do not personally agree with much of the "taste" here, but thats fine, different strokes for different folks.

I prefer my fragrance as more of a piece of my personality, rather than an art canvas, so I wear scents that garner me attention in a positive way and also are well structured, sufficiently complex, and of marked quality, because I have to enjoy them too. I do enjoy my sense of smell more than the average joe I'd say. But I can get that pleasure from candles just as easily, and allow my fragrance to play a part in who I am presenting myself as.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Every interaction I have with interested people about scents, on Basenotes or off, helps me form my notions and tastes about fragrance.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Well, It's funny. A fragrance by Jean Desprez - "Bal A Versailles" was worn by Michael Jackson frequently was actually how I stumbled upon Basenotes..since I'm extremely fond Of Michael, I had to see more about this frag. So I visited Basenotes and...wallah! An amazing summary on this frag! Thus getting quickly hooked into everyones reviews. I had to search for more!
    This was the habitual beginning of my addiction...severe addiction :P

Cheers and take care!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

If I hate a fragrance, I hate it. No amount of cheerleading can help me.
    BUT, if I'm on the fence about a fragrance - a few words of praise from my most respected reviewers can help me focus more on the positive aspects of the fragrance, rather than the negative.

I'm with Jaime any interaction with someone who enjoys the same things influences you in some way.
    Basenotes opened my eyes and nose to many fragrances and as I add in each new fragrant experience I am influenced once again.

BN influenced me

- to whine after discovering a recently bought frag that has been reformulated
    - to long and thirst for the elusive EDP versions of some frags
    - to like serge lutens and guerlain due to their name and history and popularity alone

:P

Basenotes has influenced me on many ways concerning fragrances.

Although I have my own varied and personal tastes in fragrances Basenotes has developed and has introduced me to different tastes in fragrances I wouldn't have thought of previously; it's broadened my tastes in cologne and I now feel like quite an expert when talking about fragrances! A lot of the time it can be trial and error with fragrances, but one thing that has helped MASSIVELY is the reviews. It's helped me on a few occasions when I was mulling over a certain cologne but reviews have helped made up my mind sometimes and it's also a feature on this great site to explore other colognes out there which has also broadened my knowledge on fragrances.

Big Time............this is an awesome sounding board for feedback and opinions when it comes to colognes...................