Code of Conduct

Default Monk by Michael Storer

A fellow BNer has described Monk as a heady musk incense scent which should NOT be bought blind. I love incense scents, but, unfortunately, it's nowhere to sample around here. My favorite incense scents are Amouage Jubilation XXV, YSL Nu EdP, and ELdO Rien. How would you compare monk to those three? BTW, I'm anosmic to some musks (incl. ISO E Super).

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Monk by Michael Storer

Monk: It does a have a little incense, but it's not so heavy on the incense, to my nose. I found Monk to be rather poorly named, unless the monk that wears Monk works in a bakery. He smells really vanilla ambery sandalwoody on drydown and far from your regular church-going monk. And if I really did come across a monk wearing Monk, I'd contemplate making him change his vows.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    A fellow BNer has described Monk as a heady musk incense scent which should NOT be bought blind. I love incense scents, but, unfortunately, it's nowhere to sample around here. My favorite incense scents are Amouage Jubilation XXV, YSL Nu EdP, and ELdO Rien. How would you compare monk to those three? BTW, I'm anosmic to some musks (incl. ISO E Super).
    NOT buying this one blind is exactly correct. I haven't tried Rien yet but Monk is absolutely nothing like the others you've listed.

Get a sample from MS. It's musky, yes. It has cocoa, a little tobacco and incense, is dark and moody.. I happen to love it, not an every day wear scent but a good, interesting all round scent. It has moments bordering on a chocolate gourmand but it isn't. It changes quite a bit in its progression and I find it a little "dirty" in a good way due to the animalic notes... I have not tried any of the scents you mentioned so can't comment on how "close" it is. I did get the monkish reference with the incense, I think I described it in a review as a visit to a cathedral in the New Orleans French Quarter, in the summer, with the contrast between the cool notes and the cocoa (cocoa butter came to mind, as in sweaty tourists drenched in suntan lotion walking into an incensy cathedral's dark and cool)... It seems to develop a bit differently on me every time I try it.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Add some vanilla to Comme de Garcon's first perfume and you get something similar to Monk (I know because I did this!).

Good descriptions by everyone before me - It's a really nice scent but I can't deal with the opening civet notes which smell kind of like a cross between poop and cooked sausage. It only lasts a few minutes before settling down and blending in but I know I'd never reach for the scent if I owned it just because of those first few minutes.

His (new EdP formulation) Djin, however, is amazing. A musky, animalic, semi-fresh and floral scent that is dark and smooth. Extremely unique and just all around enjoyable.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I have only tried the original formulation of Monk; I presume it has been partly remade after that and god knows at least I hope so.

The first print of Monk is ridicilously bad fragrance. Terrible and unprofessional blend. Sharp, thin, unbalanced, pretentious, bad smelling.

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Pigeon, this stuff is dreadfully bad. I tried it numerous times and each and every time it made me extremely uncomfortable to wear.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle