Code of Conduct

Default truly independent beauty products reviews?

Does anyone know if there is an online source of *truly* independent beauty product reviews? Sort of like 'Consumer Reports' for makeup, shampoo, etc.? I love Paula Begoun, but I don't trust her reviews anymore since she started making her own products. Thanks for any tips/leads... MK

Default Re: truly independent beauty products reviews?

I don't think Paula's biased just because she started her own line...her reviews of other brands remain just as fair and balanced, imo. Her recommendations, whether they be from drugstore or department store lines, are just as reliable as ever; I compare her results with other online source reviews, and invariably I find myself agreeing with her assessments.

Another Paula fan here. I don't read her regularly but do check in periodically. Some of my favorite products were based on her recommendation. I love, and have used for years, Estee Lauder's Resilience Lift Extreme Ultra Firming Creme Compact Makeup. What a name! I can never remember it and need to bring my empty compact to the EL counter in order to ask for it! It is basically a creme-to-powder foundation that is both lightweight and full coverage, with terrific color choices and sunscreen.

And another Paula fan here too!!! I use her products and other she recommends, and my acne-prone, sensitive and dry skin never looked better!

There's also Dr. Bauman's Skin Type Solution. She has a book, website and newsletter. I like her better than Paula.

As a beauty blogger, I'd of course suggest you check some of the blogs. while some of them have ads and/or affiliations, there are still quite a bit of really good, independent ones.