Code of Conduct

Default Crazy 2010 prices

The other day in another thread people were discussing price increases on a few frags, mainly Eau Sauvage. I knew things had gone up in the last year or so anyway, but until 20 minutes ago when I popped into Jollyes (a subsidiary of House of Fraser) for the first time since christmas, I had no idea how silly things seem to have got. The few that I looked at:
    Terre D'Hermes - 100ml EDT 68, compared with 55 last year
    Acqua di Parma classic range - 100ml cologne 58, compared with 50 last year
    ADP Blu Mediterraneo range - 100ml colognes 50, compared with 42 last year
    Aramis Gentlemen's Collection - 100ml EDT/cologne 48, compared with 42 last year
    Floris (this is the worst one) - 100ml EDT 62, compared with 42-48 (depending on range) last year

So at best an 8 jump, at worst 20. In the space of a week. I know it's a department store and, even worse, House of Fraser, so it's always gonna be pricy, but that's just crazy!

Default Re: Crazy 2010 prices

damn, prices are always high over here lol

i hear people saying Rive Gauche is cheap you can get it for like $20, well here the average price for the 75 ml can is $50-55

on the HM revenue site it says
    Quote Originally Posted by HM Revenue & Customs: Increase in the standard VAT rate
    The standard rate of VAT was temporarily reduced to 15 per cent on 1 December 2008 and it returned to 17.5 per cent on 1 January 2010.
    so that could explain why prices are higher here in the uk

Hmm, Eau Sauvage is $110 AUD for a 100ml in Australia..Not too bad!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by abzr88 View Post
    on the HM revenue site it says so that could explain why prices are higher here in the uk
    A 2.5% increase/reversion in VAT does not explain an 8 price increase, let alone 20.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    A 2.5% increase/reversion in VAT does not explain an 8 price increase, let alone 20.
    yeah your right, i did not look at the prices you posted before i replyed

How is the pound doing relative to the euro?

In certain conditions, that could be an explanation. But probably not currently.

i agree, not just in 2010 but in the last 2 years i would say. i feel like when i first got into my fragrance hobby which was around 2001 your more widely available mainstream scents would run you around $40-$45 for a 1.7oz i.e. the armani, hugo boss, calvin klein, more recent diors like higher energy, polo ralph lauren etc. at the higher end of the spectrum were your brands that kept a bit tighter control on distribution like chanel, hermes to create a more exclusive feel to their product, and they were in the $45-$50 range.

i've been shopping around for a few of my staples that i rememeber buying 3 or 4 years ago and they have def increased. its not THAT much when you actually think about it - for a 1.7 oz, mainstreams are up around $50-$55, and chanels/hermes's are up around $55-$60 (with tom ford being at the $60 pricepoint - surprise, surprise - i remember finding a tom ford cotton/polyester polo at neiman's last call that was down to $495 on sale down from $1100, ridic ha).

that being said though, as someone that buys primarily small bottles, it still feel like a big jump, ya know? like $50, sure that's ONLY $5 more than $45, but when you flat out say a 1.7 oz of chanel platinum egoiste is $55, i immediately retreat into cheapo-i-need-an-outlet-mall mode because that's almost $60!. it's something psychological about that $50 threshhold ha . . . i guess i should get over it - prices are never gonna go down ;(
    Last edited by sbbbjm; 22nd January 2010 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    How is the pound doing relative to the euro?

In certain conditions, that could be an explanation. But probably not currently.
    Not great, but then it's been that way for a while. In fact it's probably better now than it was 6-9 months ago when it was almost 1:1. But, having said that, assuming most shops buy in advance (which I'm guessing they do), this is not an unreasonable possibility.

But I still don't think it explains a 20 jump that quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Hmm, Eau Sauvage is $110 AUD for a 100ml in Australia..Not too bad!
    hmmm ... Everlast 1910 Original sells for $20 !