Code of Conduct

Default Anything afordable smell like Hermessence Ambre Narguile?

This is my favorite discovery of 2009. Hermessence Ambre Narguile. So sweet and succulent. That honey, apple, cinnamon, and spices. It's awesome stuff. I went to a Hermes boutique and was lucky enough to get a 4 ml sample vial, but I want more!!! I'm prepared to spend the $145 on the 4 x 15ml travel set (when I get my tax return), which would be my most expensive perfume purchase yet (I thought my first $100+ purchase would be M. Micallef's Note Vanille or Guerlain's SDV before I met this one), but before I do, I would like to try anything that closely resembles this one. Is there a such thing? Now, if they are in the same price range, then forget about it. I would rather pay the extra $$$ and get the real thing. But, if there is anything sub $100 that is similar, please let me know. Thank you.

Default Re: Anything afordable smell like Hermessence Ambre Narguile?

I don't know if I would call it similar or not, but a very excellent inexpensive amber is Molinard Ambre.

Now I know the title (Ambre Narguile) emplies that ambre is among the notes, but I have no idea what ambre is supposed to smell like. So, I'm not necessarily looking for amber fragrances. However...if amber smells like Ambre Narguile and/or vice versa, then I want to try it. Is ambre narguile a good representation of amber?

I've not found anything yet, but I'm still looking.

Describing the Amber accord is one of the most difficult things ever. Look in the Single Note Exploration threads.

I can tell you that the dried fruit, baked apple, nutty smells (sesame?) and spices in Ambre Narguile are NOT part of the Amber accord, they are what makes this fragrance unique (so far). There is also a mild tobacco note (a Narguile is a type of smoking bong, apparently).
    Last edited by andym72; 20th January 2010 at 06:40 PM.

Histoire d'Eau is probably more similar to Daim Blond, but it's super cheap and has a spicy/dried fruit/vanilla/amber/light suede thing going on, so that might be worth a shot.

I have actually smelled two fragrances that remind me strongly of Ambre Narguile. The bad part? They're both pricey niche frags - Tom Ford's Amber Absolute and Killian's Back to Black. Obviously, that's no help at all, price-wise, but they just may be worth trying. Somewhat closer to the 100$ mark is Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe, but it's of a somewhat different consistency ( spices and sweet liquor more than an apple pie accord ). Still, if you love Ambre Narguile, all three are worth sniffing at one time or another.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 20th January 2010 at 06:52 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Try Cannabis Santal by Fresh. By no means a subtitute, but I found something about the AN a bit reminiscent.

Just buy one of those 15ml bottles off Ebay for 50 bucks, most basenoters tend to do that. They seem to be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    I've not found anything yet, but I'm still looking.

Describing the Amber accord is one of the most difficult things ever. Look in the Single Note Exploration threads.

I can tell you that the dried fruit, baked apple, nutty smells (sesame?) and spices in Ambre Narguile are NOT part of the Amber accord, they are what makes this fragrance unique (so far). There is also a mild tobacco note (a Narguile is a type of smoking bong, apparently).
    I think one of the most difficult things to describe is a fragrance note. Some have suggested to go to a botanical garden or maybe the seasoning/spice section in the supermarket to become more familiar with some common notes. I've been meaning to do that. But I'll do a search and see what I can find out about the amber note.
    Thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Histoire d'Eau is probably more similar to Daim Blond, but it's super cheap and has a spicy/dried fruit/vanilla/amber/light suede thing going on, so that might be worth a shot.
    I'll make sure it's on my sample list. Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I have actually smelled two fragrances that remind me strongly of Ambre Narguile. The bad part? They're both pricey niche frags - Tom Ford's Amber Absolute and Killian's Back to Black. Obviously, that's no help at all, price-wise, but they just may be worth trying. Somewhat closer to the 100$ mark is Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe, but it's of a somewhat different consistency ( spices and sweet liquor more than an apple pie accord ). Still, if you love Ambre Narguile, all three are worth sniffing at one time or another.
    I've sampled Back to Black. Good stuff, but I don't recall it being very similar to AN. I found it kinda similar to L'Occitane Eau des Baux. Then again, I got those samples at the same time, so maybe that's why I relate them to each other. I'll check the reviews on the other two though, and will add them to my sample list. Thanx!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Try Cannabis Santal by Fresh. By no means a subtitute, but I found something about the AN a bit reminiscent.
    Are you serious? No no no no no, my friend, Cannabis smells like a mintier Angel. It doesn't smell anything like Ambre Narguile to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Just buy one of those 15ml bottles off Ebay for 50 bucks, most basenoters tend to do that. They seem to be okay.
    I have considered that, and though cash flow-wise, it would easier on my pockets, economically speaking, I would be better off buying the 4x15 ml travel pack for $145+tax, which averages out to about $37 per 15ml. I spend that on fast food, movies, and other extracurricular activities a month. I can
    just cut back on those things and just make that purchase. As good as this stuff smells, I know I'll go through those 15mls sooner than later, so I might as well stock up. It's worth it.

L'Occitane Eau des Baux starts out a bit dryer where Ambre Narguile is sweeter up front, but after 10 minutes they smell very similar --- not the same mind you, but similar. For $49 a bottle, Eau des Baux is a great substitute. I own and like both, but I wish I had discovered Eau des Baux before I laid out my $185 investment in Ambre Narguile.

If you took out the apple popover accord in Ambre Narguile and replaced it with a little pipe tobacco you'd be left with Esteban Sensuelle Russie.
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I love Ambre Narguille. On me it's mostly pipe tobacco and cinnamon over orange and vanilla, which gets more apple as the day goes on. There's not much amber in it, to me.

If you like SDV and Ambre Narguile, you'll probably like Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, which isn't any less expensive though.

For the tobacco/orange combo, maybe Tom Ford for Men, but it doesn't come close to having the Ambre Narguille magic. For the cinnamon and apple pie combo, maybe Brandy by Brandy, but it has a butterscotchy port wine accord instead of the tobacco, so it's a little more sweet and feminine.

If it's just the tobacco gourmand quality that you like, maybe Chanel Allure pour Homme or GPHII, but they're nowhere near the sensory experience of Ambre Narguille.

I'm afraid you're developing very expensive taste. Welcome to the club!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by jradosev View Post
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux starts out a bit dryer where Ambre Narguile is sweeter up front, but after 10 minutes they smell very similar --- not the same mind you, but similar. For $49 a bottle, Eau des Baux is a great substitute. I own and like both, but I wish I had discovered Eau des Baux before I laid out my $185 investment in Ambre Narguile.
    I must respectfully disagree. I like Baux. In fact, it was on my wishlist, and I got a few mls of it in a swap. But...it's no Ambre Narguile. Not even close. It doesn't have that gooey apple and spices goodness that AN does. Nothing I have tried does.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    If you took out the apple popover accord in Ambre Narguile and replaced it with a little pipe tobacco you'd be left with Esteban Sensuelle Russie.
    Well I guess Esteban Sensuelle Russie won't get my serious consideration. I love that apple accord. It's a very crucial part of the composition in Ambre Narguile. AN wouldn't be AN without that apple accord.

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I love Ambre Narguille. On me it's mostly pipe tobacco and cinnamon over orange and vanilla, which gets more apple as the day goes on. There's not much amber in it, to me.

If you like SDV and Ambre Narguile, you'll probably like Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, which isn't any less expensive though.

For the tobacco/orange combo, maybe Tom Ford for Men, but it doesn't come close to having the Ambre Narguille magic. For the cinnamon and apple pie combo, maybe Brandy by Brandy, but it has a butterscotchy port wine accord instead of the tobacco, so it's a little more sweet and feminine.

If it's just the tobacco gourmand quality that you like, maybe Chanel Allure pour Homme or GPHII, but they're nowhere near the sensory experience of Ambre Narguille.

I'm afraid you're developing very expensive taste. Welcome to the club!
    Thanx for your suggestions. I sampled Tobacco Vanille, and was unimpressed with it. Too potpourri. It smells like it aspires to grow up and become Body Korous. I tried Chanel Allure and Allure sport this weekend. They both seemed nice, especially the sport. But I didn't have enough time with them to get a solid impression. I'll give them another try though. GPH2 I own, and it is actually my favorite fragrance. Ambre Narguile is a very strong challenger though, and may even take that top spot.

kinda off topic: For all the folx that made it seem as though Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille was actually a serious contender with SDV...HA!!! Not even close! You'd be better off comparing L'Artisan's Havana Vanille to SDV, or even Michael Micallef's Note Vanille. TV isn't in the same class.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    kinda off topic: For all the folx that made it seem as though Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille was actually a serious contender with SDV...HA!!! Not even close! You'd be better off comparing L'Artisan's Havana Vanille to SDV, or even Michael Micallef's Note Vanille. TV isn't in the same class.
    You've got to give TV some quality skin time. Let that clove note come through. It gives it some class, much the same way the booze does in SDV. It's good stuff. I'll accept that SDV is technically more nuanced, but TV does a better job simulating that old-school pipe tobacco shop vibe (remember back in the 80's when every mall had one of those? They always smelled awesome).

But I think Ambre Narguille is more nuanced than SDV, in turn.

The only drawback to A.N. is that it can get kind of a cheap plasticy smell if you overapply. But if you limit yourself to one spray, it's the best frag ever.

Blog Entries

Side note: Have you tried New Haarlem yet? It's my other favorite gourmand. I'd highly recommend checking it out, too, since we seem to have similar taste.

I had a 1 ml sample of TV, so I had enough to get a good idea of the fragrance. I had REALLY high hopes for it, but it just didn't measure up. Is it wearable? Absolutely! But I just don't very much care for it. I had it on my skin several times, and it just reminded me too much of potpourri. Nothing wrong with potpourri, but I just don't want to smell like it.

I'm an 80s baby, btw, so I can't reminisce with you on the tobacco shops, unfortunately. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Side note: Have you tried New Haarlem yet? It's my other favorite gourmand. I'd highly recommend checking it out, too, since we seem to have similar taste.
    No, never tried that one. I'll check out the notes and reviews and will consider a sample. Thanx for the suggestion.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I think it's fairly safe to say there isn't anything truly comparable to AN. So you can buy it with confidence, knowing you're investing in precisely what will give you optimum satisfaction for the buck.

Will suggest adding another thing to your sniff list, though, and that is PG Cadjmere 18. Just the other day, whilst sniffing through my decants, I noticed how similar the overall vibrations were between these two dissimilarly noted fragrances — like a B7 chord played on a piano versus a B7 chord played on an organ. AN is fruitier, but the same "happy mellow" emanates from both; and I agree with rogalal that New Haarlem fits in this same class.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I might have to duck after making the bold statement that I'm going to make, but I'm going to make it anyway. But Ambre by L'Occitane, and move on.You might find this a most surprising fragrance. Wears like a much more expensive fragrance than it is.Well blended Amber fragrance, spicey, and has a sweet, but not cloying drydown which last's forever.Now excuse while I find cover from the oncoming fire which I'm sure is to follow.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Stand up without fear, Ron. I've read wonderful things about L’Occitane’s amber, and I look forward to trying it … once it's back in stock. Unfortunately, it's out of stock on L’Occitane’s U.S. website. Maybe Larwiz will get lucky and find some at a local store.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Aventure by Galimard IMO smells very similar to AN but it's very hard to find outside of Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    I might have to duck after making the bold statement that I'm going to make, but I'm going to make it anyway. But Ambre by L'Occitane, and move on.You might find this a most surprising fragrance. Wears like a much more expensive fragrance than it is.Well blended Amber fragrance, spicey, and has a sweet, but not cloying drydown which last's forever.Now excuse while I find cover from the oncoming fire which I'm sure is to follow.
    Stop that ducking! I have grown to respect L'Occitane after coming across their Eau des Baux. Good stuff indeed. I don't doubt for a second that their Ambre is atleast worth trying. I will add it to my sample list. Thanx for the suggestion!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Try a few ambers and see which interpretation/composition you like the best. It's seldom about that single amber note... Might turn out you love Ambre Narguile the best. I haven't found my amber scent yet either though I might have a few contenders..

Ambre Narguile is a wonderful fall scent, I had a sample for a while but didn't care much for it in the summer,
    I looked for alternatives and voila!

Burberry London men
    , has the same crisp, fresh, fruity quality, you smell: apples, dash of cinnammon there is also port wine accord and amber and woods to make this thing even better ;-)

just to add, since the Hermessence line is relatively an expensive deal,

imho the replacement for Vetiver Tonka, also very wintery/fall fragrance

Burberry Brit, loads of tonka, freshness of tea rose and and bay leaves which adds that herbal quality vetiver has,

I know that there is no replacement for the originals but these share the same vibe and I hope you folks enjoy them as much as I do now.

The closest that i get from Ambre Narguile fragrance is Killian Back To Black, which is more spicy and has a tobacco note which is lacking on the Ambre Narguile fragrance. Also, the chamomile note is annoying for me on this one - at first i couldn`t notice, then i started to get very intensively a burnt chamomile accord, which made me selling my bottle after some time.
    I don`t think that Amber Absolute from tom Ford smells like Ambre Narguile. Although they are sweet and spicy, Ambre Narguile is more coziest and doesn`t have that sharp, dry honeyed, animalic side of Amber which is very in evidence when you spray Amber Absolute on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    Ambre Narguile is a wonderful fall scent, I had a sample for a while but didn't care much for it in the summer,
    I looked for alternatives and voila!

Burberry London men
    , has the same crisp, fresh, fruity quality, you smell: apples, dash of cinnammon there is also port wine accord and amber and woods to make this thing even better ;-)

just to add, since the Hermessence line is relatively an expensive deal,

imho the replacement for Vetiver Tonka, also very wintery/fall fragrance

Burberry Brit, loads of tonka, freshness of tea rose and and bay leaves which adds that herbal quality vetiver has,

I know that there is no replacement for the originals but these share the same vibe and I hope you folks enjoy them as much as I do now.
    Don`t think that neither London, Vetiver Tonka nor Burberry Brit have something in common with Ambre Narguille.

It's $215 for 100ml, why not split a bottle with someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I recently bought a bottle of Hd'E and I don't see the Daim Blond connection - it has non of the sour apricot of DB. It does, however, remind me of Ambre Narguille - BIG TIME! You can find Histoire d'Eau for less than $10 online.

I found Michael Kors for men's top notes to strongly resemble AN's, but the fragrances are nothing alike. You can give Banderas Spirit and Spirit VIP a try; they are cheapies and share a lot in common with AN, especially Spirit VIP, but they are more spicy than gourmand.

Larwiz,

Based on what I have read from your comments and posts, nothing will give you the same satisfaction as the real thing, so my suggestion, don't look for one and just take the plunge! It will be worth it.

Hmmm, I haven't really found anything that's a good substitute. Although the juice goes a long way so I'd suggest either trying to do a decant swap, doing a split/decant buy, or even asking a few boutiques around town for a sample (4mlx2-3=golden).

alternatives? nothing great. Something like boss bottled will get you some apple and cinnimon, and Michael Kors will get you some syrup, fruits, but then tobacco... That's all I got.
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    Larwiz,

Based on what I have read from your comments and posts, nothing will give you the same satisfaction as the real thing, so my suggestion, don't look for one and just take the plunge! It will be worth it.
    +1.

If you really want it that much...

The fact is, at least 75% of these "More affordable version of an 'expensive' fragrance?" threads are redundant - in order to find something cheaper, you'll have to make some compromises that your nose will ultimately detect. If you're prepared to take a chance (with a high possibility of not being contented with your cheaper alternative in the long-term), continue expecting replies. If not, forget about this thread, cut back and save some money, and buy the real thing with some peace of mind.

Not difficult, is it?

Blog Entries

May l suggest Roberto Cavalli's Oro? lt has very similar spiced apple & amber notes, with the same kind of "sheer" feel, & can be found very cheaply on ebay!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

For the record, I ended up getting the travel set. Still on my first vial, and still loving the stuff...

For the record, I ended up getting the travel set. Still on my first vial, and still loving the stuff...
    Attaboy! You've made the right choice.

I have found with AN that there is nothing quite like it....thats I guess why the price it up there. Yet, if its what makes you happy then no cheap substitution will work as you will always be saying I should have kept the $75 (or whatever $XX) and put it towards the 4x 15mls and got them all in the AN scent which Hermes will do for you.
    these noses know what they are doing when they come up with a gem and AN is quite a gem.
    You may also like L'eau de Amber Extreme at $155 per 100ml - longevity and sillage are not great though. Yet the scent is beautiful.
    Amber Absolute is awesome and nothing like any other Amber... so its all 'apples & oranges' and the AN is not comparable.
    When you get it 60ml or 1100ml you will be happy you did as you will have the real deal... enjoy!
    This is my favorite discovery of 2009. Hermessence Ambre Narguile. So sweet and succulent. That honey, apple, cinnamon, and spices. It's awesome stuff. I went to a Hermes boutique and was lucky enough to get a 4 ml sample vial, but I want more!!! I'm prepared to spend the $145 on the 4 x 15ml travel set (when I get my tax return), which would be my most expensive perfume purchase yet (I thought my first $100+ purchase would be M. Micallef's Note Vanille or Guerlain's SDV before I met this one), but before I do, I would like to try anything that closely resembles this one. Is there a such thing? Now, if they are in the same price range, then forget about it. I would rather pay the extra $$$ and get the real thing. But, if there is anything sub $100 that is similar, please let me know. Thank you.

Thanx Nolaig! I ended up getting the travel set. I'm actually still on my 1st bottle. Lately, I don't reach for it often, truthfully. I still think it's a nice fragrance, but the last few times I wore it, I remember feeling somewhat bothered by the sweetness. *shrugs* But I haven't given up on it yet. I still think it's a nice fragrance, and I it's possibly that I may have simply overapplied. So I will spray a little less the next time I wear it and see if that makes a difference.

apple sauce

Thanx Nolaig! I ended up getting the travel set. I'm actually still on my 1st bottle. Lately, I don't reach for it often, truthfully. I still think it's a nice fragrance, but the last few times I wore it, I remember feeling somewhat bothered by the sweetness. *shrugs* But I haven't given up on it yet. I still think it's a nice fragrance, and I it's possibly that I may have simply overapplied. So I will spray a little less the next time I wear it and see if that makes a difference.
    Less is definitely more with this fragrance. It can get very cloying very quickly.

I think this is one of the only JCE frags I like.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Just sampled AN today for the first time. Loving it...and then lo & behold in the evening it struck me why it smelled familiar.
    It is like a low/non-alcoholic version of Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire.
    Not really cheap but cheaper than AN and of most excellent quality! Loved nearly every single scent of PdE when I sampled them and those I didn't love, just were too masculin for a female

Banned

Santal Massoia is very afordable

I know it's not Ambre Narguile, but While we are on the topic of Hermessence and stuff that could arguably stand in "in a pinch", here is my opinion on Hermessence Poivre Samarcande...

Smells similar to...
    &

Funny you say that.. I've seen comparisons between Poivre Samarcande and Terre d'Hermès. I've never smelled Oscar for men so can't comment, but now I'm going through a large Hermès sample pack and another Hermessence sample pack, the Terre d'Hermès smells quite similar.. except TdH is better: much better longevity/sillage as well as just plain nicer (citrus top notes are always a plus)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post

... you'll have to make some compromises that your nose will ultimately detect.
    yes

for swap/sale:

I think Ambre Nuit gives off a similar vibe, with added rose. It's a little more affordable and you get more.

Brecourt Haram, or Farah as they changed its name recently, smells very very similar, to my nose it is even deeper and with better longevity/projection, and all that at just 69e/50ml. They also send free official samples from the website, just cover the shipping costs of 1.9e. Worth a try, amazing scent!

Just got a sample delivered to me today (Thank you Hermes) I found it very unique, but does anyone see a slight resemblance to Boss Bottled ?
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

Get Spicebomb by V&R. Very similar to my nose after an hour or so.
    No rain, no rainbow

I havn't tried it, but perhaps 24 Gold may settle for what your after?
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Ambre Russe is way different especially in the opening. But the dry down of AR kinda reminds me of AN. This is the only one I could think of and it's only $88.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

24 Gold smells almost identical to AN imo, until it gets into the dry down. 24 Gold finishes with a cheap amber base that I dislike, where as AN focuses more on the spices and a mellow amber base.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Pure Havane ... own them both .. love them.

I haven't tried it yet, but Helg mentions Spicebomb as an Ambre Narguile alternative in this blog post: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...rguile-in.html