Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Voyage dHerms by Herms

NowSmellThis reports:

Herms will launch Voyage d’Herms, a new unisex fragrance, this coming April.

The fragrance was developed by Herms house perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena, and is reportedly a fresh musky woods.

The bottle looks really nice:

Available in 35 & 100 ml sizes. Anyone know what the notes are?

NST link here and promotional video here
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th January 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Default Re: Voyage dHerms by Herms

Thanks Mike! Looks and sounds like another potentially popular fragrance for Hermes liked by many men and women. Of course, here in 'basenotes land', that will only lead to cries of over hyped and over exposed like another Hermes scent we all know. Damned one way or another.

Hope this one will be available at points of sell other than the boutiques.

Default Re: Voyage d’Herms by Herms

VERY nice flacon. I'm happy to see that Hermes continues to release new and interesting bottles. Too bad their classics have been repackaged in the house standard bottle, though.

I see ice, desert, and water as the horse travels in the video, suggesting perhaps the fragrance will move through the same environments. However, more ISO E Super comes to mind when I read "fresh musky woods". I'll be following this one closely.

Thanks for the info, Mike.

Thanks, Mike. I'm always excited by a new Herms! It looks like a very interesting bottle.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    ...Hope this one will be available at points of sell other than the boutiques.
    From what I've heard about this, it's a full scale release. I was under the impression from the rumours that this was going to be a feminine, but it's nice to see it's a unisex (that's not a 'Jardin').

Hey Mike, thanks for letting us know about this. It sounds great. I know the "fresh musky woods" might sound suspect to many Basenoters, but I have faith that most things Hermes does involve some interesting twist. If the fragrance is half as novel as the bottle looks, it'll be a hit.

What a brilliant bottle design! The fragrance sounds interesting enough, right up Ellena's niche.

Beautiful bottle. Will definitely try when it's released.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Thanks for taking the time to post this thread it looks like an interesting scent to try.
    "What actions are most excellent? To gladden the heart of human beings, to feed the hungry, to help the afflicted, to lighten the sorrow of the sorrowful, and to remove the sufferings of the injured" Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)

Did someone say "Hermes"?! I am all ears. And I love that it will be avail. in 35 ml size. Thanks Mike for posting this info.

This may be a stupid question. But I'm wondering if the cover moves up and down as well as spinning, because judging by the picture, if it just spins, it won't be flush upon coming back down. Weird.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 20th January 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Didn't smell it, but I want it!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    This may be a stupid question. But I'm wondering if the cover moves up and down as well as spinning, because judging by the picture, if it just spins, it won't be flush upon coming back down. Weird.
    From looking at this picture, it doesn't look like it will be flush when it spins around.

I like the way it looks when it's fully open with the sprayer out.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Hey Mike, thanks for letting us know about this. It sounds great. I know the "fresh musky woods" might sound suspect to many Basenoters, but I have faith that most things Hermes does involve some interesting twist. If the fragrance is half as novel as the bottle looks, it'll be a hit.
    Yes, well this of course was the only thing that got me a bit nervous...but it's so hard to interpret if I will like a scent based upon the press release.

I thought I was going to go apesh*t about Hermessence Vanille Galante (buying a 15 ml blind when I saw it on Ebay) and I just hated it and could not wear it comfortably.

So I have decided to stop trying to predict whether I'm going to like a new scent, before I smell it.

Expectations have been lowered comfortably. Ah....that's better.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st January 2010 at 02:44 AM.

A spicy aquatic?
    That's what the name would indicate.
    Boooooooooooooo!
    Gimme my d'orange verte with some lasting neroli under all that citrus=
    Fleur D'Orange Verte

Still very eager to smell it even though I think it will be far too feminine.

Great bottle.....I'm always excited about anything from Hermes.....The bottle looks a bit like a cell phone.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    A spicy aquatic? That's what the name would indicate.
    No - where's your thinking at? "Fresh Musky Woods" is the description we're given.

Love that it'll be available in 35ml. More things should be released in this size.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Blog Entries

I'm in LOVE. And I will be at the boutique right then. I can't wait. It looks brilliant, and the fragrance is just what Herms needed in their line. The bottle is pure Herms. OMG. Both classic Herms and modern tech, but subtle. And it fits the concept so well. I'm impressed. This could be big. This is going to be an excellent year!

Thanks, Mike.

The first thing I think of when I see the picture is an ipod!

Musky Woods Sounds lascivious! Amazing!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

Oh, and as for the bottle...too nouveau for me personally, I prefer bottles that are basic and transparent in design.

- Balava

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cant wait to try it out

That's some sick bottle wich asks for a buy! haha.
    unico grande amore.

Must... stop... drooling...
    Best bottle EVAH. Not genuinely enthusiastic about the scent's description, but I'm guessing this is going to sell well simply by dint of design. That's one way to keep people from making do with decants, no?
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Actually, I've come to a conclusion. The bottle looks like a USB stick! the ones with a locomotive wheel that can rotate 360 Degrees and acts as a lid!

- Balava
    Last edited by Balavassassin; 21st January 2010 at 11:23 AM.

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well, atleast that picture does!

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Balavassassin View Post
    Actually, I've come to a conclusion. The bottle looks like a USB stick! the ones with a locomotive meel that can rotate 360 Degrees and acts as a lid!

- Balava
    You're actually right. I think those usb sticks where the actual concept for the bottle. It's voyage.. travel.. and they use to call them travel sticks here aswell (usb stick).
    unico grande amore.

haha! oh, thats interesting stuff! thanks! :P

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh, Giustino, Congrats on almost making 1000 posts

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh, Giustino, Congrats on almost making 1000 posts
    Haha thanks
    unico grande amore.

reminds me of this

Actually, I've come to a conclusion. The bottle looks like a USB stick! the ones with a locomotive wheel that can rotate 360 Degrees and acts as a lid!

- Balava
    BINGO!!! The bottle design's been nagging me all morning - it definitely reminded me of something I've already seen before...

As for the scent itself, ISO E Super OD here we come! Yeeeeeeeeeeeha!
    Last edited by Trebor; 21st January 2010 at 12:05 PM.

For the Canadians in the crowd... Holts will be getting this by March. Part of the Spring roll-out.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

^ Nice!

Thanks Ody.

My 1st guess was spicy aquatic, but after actually reading the NST article, I'm convinced this will be cocktail of ethereal, diffusive "Nu-Platinum-Egoiste" topnotes, followed by many smooth synthetic floral accords. no distinguishable citrus or fruit will be detectable. in the synthetic florals, iris/orris, violet leaf and neroli/orange blossom all being in their somewhere. The base will be a more unisex version of FIERCE. The entire composition will be very light and uplifting, yet powerful and with sillage to spare.

My A-Alikes:

Amouage Reflection
    Platinum Egoiste
    Dunhill Fresh
    Mugler cologne
    Prada infusion d'iris
    FIERCE

It will be TRANSPARENT in texture, and DIFFUSIVE.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 22nd January 2010 at 03:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    As for the scent itself, ISO E Super OD here we come! Yeeeeeeeeeeeha!
    Super! As they say, bon voyage! I hope it comes crashing over the deck in waves. 40%! 50%! Do I hear 75%? SOLD!

But seriously, I'm betting he tones it down. Might be wrong about that, but I just have a hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    My 1st guess was spicy aquatic, but after actually reading the NST article, I'm convinced this will be cocktail of ethereal, diffusive "Nu-Platinum-Egoiste" topnotes, followed by many smooth synthetic floral accords. no distinguishable citrus or fruit will be detectable. in the synthetic florals, iris/orris, violet leaf and neroli/orange blossom all being in their somewhere. The base will be a more unisex version of FIERCE. The entire composition will be very light and uplifting, yet powerful and with sillage to spare.

My A-Alikes:

Amouage Reflection
    Platinum Egoiste
    Dunhill Fresh
    Mugler cologne
    Prada infusion d'iris
    FIERCE

It will be TRANSPARENT in texture, and DIFFUSIVE.
    I hope you're right, except I could do with it smelling more natural than you imply. Natural smelling abstractness.. if that makes sense. I think Reflection does a good job of that - to me it smells very natural and yet not particularly like anything in nature. That abstract aloofness seems to bother some people (calling it 'formless'), although I quite like it as it leaves itself open to interpretation and I find I see it a different way with each wearing, not at all dissimilar to observing abstract art.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 22nd January 2010 at 03:52 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Super! As they say, bon voyage! I hope it comes crashing over the deck in waves. 40%! 50%! Do I hear 75%? SOLD!

But seriously, I'm betting he tones it down. Might be wrong about that, but I just have a hunch.
    lmao! I think he'll tone down the Iso E Super too. If not, then I quote Trebor in saying "yeeeeeeeeehhhaaa!" I think it'll be a great release, even if it surpasses my Iso E threshold. I do, afterall, absolutely love Angeliques sous la Pluie, which I *think* uses that infamous ingredient, but in just the right amount, creating something close to perfection.

Basenotes Institution

I just read on Perfume Shrine that this is NOT a mainstream release, but a boutique-only release.

If this is true, that's kind of disappointing.

I think the shape of the bottle would be very difficult for the shelves of Sephora to handle. It lays down sideways, so it needs a bit of that old school, kid gloves, let me get it out of the case for you, approach. Personally, when I go into a Hermes Boutiques I dig straight into those Hermssence drawers all by myself.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 29th January 2010 at 04:52 AM.

A fresh musky woods scent? Somehow, I'm not too excited about this, but let's see what Ellena can pull off.

The bottle is cute. Very much like a sophisticated cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I just read on Perfume Shrine that this is NOT a mainstream release, but a boutique-only release.

If this is true, that's kind of disappointing.
    Very interesting that it will be boutique-only. They also mention in the Perfume Shrine article that the shape of the bottle comes from a petite maroquinerie (which basically means small leather goods in French) item. I just happened to browse upon this today, and I wonder if it's the item in question?

I can see a resemblance! It's an Herms Evelyne coin purse.

Nice! I can't wait to try this one. When I first read that it was a "fresh, musky woods scent" I was a little underwhelmed, yet JCE's brief--and the fact that it is unisex--makes me think that it is going to be another take entirely.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 29th January 2010 at 04:48 AM.

It is too expensive to shot for a NOT mainstream release such video. And of course Hermes will not produce several sizes of a bottle and grooming products for a boutique-only product. Voyage d'Hermes is a mainstream release.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    It is too expensive to shot for a NOT mainstream release such video. And of course Hermes will not produce several sizes of a bottle and grooming products for a boutique-only product. Voyage d'Hermes is a mainstream release.
    My sentiments also. I'm confused.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Great bottle.....I'm always excited about anything from Hermes.....The bottle looks a bit like a cell phone.....Gary
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Remember the old Motorola?

Basenotes Institution

I called the New York Madison Avenue Hermes boutique, hoping one of the SA's could clarify the release/retail schedule on Voyage d' Hermes. The woman told me she knows nothing about the scent, at all. She told me to call them in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    Very interesting that it will be boutique-only. They also mention in the Perfume Shrine article that the shape of the bottle comes from a petite maroquinerie (which basically means small leather goods in French) item. I just happened to browse upon this today, and I wonder if it's the item in question?

I can see a resemblance! It's an Herms Evelyne coin purse.
    Thanks for sharing the picture.

Yes, Hermes got their start in leather: carriage harnesses and tack for the well-heeled in the 1830s. I really like their logo and wish they'd make more use of it.
    Last edited by Primrose; 29th January 2010 at 08:12 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

i immediately thought about leather packaging for this bottle (and wouldn't be surprised to see one roll out to boutique only counters). it's a classic hermes shape.

hermes makes incredible leather products, but at incredible prices.

the hermessences bottles have a leather option in which the regular glass bottle is placed inside a small leather sleeve (very basic construction), but you pay $575 for it (as compared to a bit over 200 for just the glass bottle).

Looking at the Perfume Shrine article now, they've actually struck out the parts about it not being a mainstream release.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I hope you're right, except I could do with it smelling more natural than you imply. Natural smelling abstractness.. if that makes sense. I think Reflection does a good job of that - to me it smells very natural and yet not particularly like anything in nature. That abstract aloofness seems to bother some people (calling it 'formless'), although I quite like it as it leaves itself open to interpretation and I find I see it a different way with each wearing, not at all dissimilar to observing abstract art.
    Well, to clarify my meaning, I do nt mean synthetic with a negative connotation. I find Amouage Reflection to be very synthetic, yet "soft" and pleasing, just too sweet and floral for me to purchase.

Amouage Reflection
    Platinum Egoiste
    Dunhill Fresh
    Mugler cologne
    Prada infusion d'iris
    FIERCE

and another musky/green/floral unisex of "ethereal" quality i have recently found and purchased is the freesia/neroli heavy Prelude To Love

I wonder if he will venture beyond his trademark minimalism. I seriously doubt it. Just like with Philip Glass, if it's a motif I like then I can stand it, otherwise I get a bit bored.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I wonder if he will venture beyond his trademark minimalism. I seriously doubt it. Just like with Philip Glass, if it's a motif I like then I can stand it, otherwise I get a bit bored.
    Philip Glass, and we know the bottle of this and nothing else yet. Will 'le nez' resemble what clean, sun drenched skin should smell like? A new concept of cleanliness? Musk, wood, but fresh also. As a contrast to his Mediterranean coast line waste can assault called Terre?

The ravings seem to lack any substance. 'Don't care whether this reflects the fragrance nobody could have ever 'reviewed' by now. A rather translucent marketing ploy it is to announce a new smelly revelation of - what at all?!?! I really wonder who could ever be motivated by that kind of bloated hype to buy such. I refuse, period.

ps: 'adore JC Ellenas Sisley Eau De Campagne, great for every day use, light but a clear statement. May be I'm just to much of a sad old straight 'homme' to get the fun with new releases as this one ...
    Last edited by merry.waters; 28th February 2010 at 08:35 PM.

I wouldn't compare Ellena's "minimalist" style at all to Glass's music. A more apt analogy would be the difference between chamber and orchestral music. Ellena's (and Giacobetti's) style is the quiet, yet subtly rich work of a piece for a quartet, rather than the muddled bombast of a symphony.

There's nothing lazy, dull, simplistic, or unchallenging about it.
    Last edited by strifeknot; 1st March 2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: grammar
    AbdesSalaam Attar, Naomi Goodsir, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, L'Atelier de Givenchy, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse, by Kilian, and Oliver & Co. splits.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    I wouldn't compare Ellena's "minimalist" style at all to Glass's music. A more apt analogy would be the difference between chamber and orchestral music. Ellena's (and Giacobetti's) style is the quiet, yet subtly rich work of a piece for a quartet, rather the muddled bombast of a symphony.

I love this!

I wouldn't compare Ellena's "minimalist" style at all to Glass's music. A more apt analogy would be the difference between chamber and orchestral music. Ellena's (and Giacobetti's) style is the quiet, yet subtly rich work of a piece for a quartet, rather the muddled bombast of a symphony.

I'm pretty much taking myself off these boards now (for real this time LOL, I'll probably still post reviews though). I thought I'd respond to this before I go. I actually like much of Glass' music, his string quartets especially. I wasn't being clear on my point. Glass uses themes which have very slow variation, as do Ellena's perfumes. It is the nature of minimalism. I don't find Glass' music necessarily "lazy, dull, simplistic or unchallenging." I admire Glass as a composer, just as I admire Ellena as a perfumer. I don't want to leave a wrong impression that I dislike either Ellena or Glass. No dig was intended. Ellena doesn't consider himself a minimalist though (even though I do). The term "minimalist" is not an insult by any means at all, at least from my point of view. It actually shows great talent when one can create within a narrow and defined scope.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 1st March 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Oh, I understood what you meant, mrc. Even though you just mentioned Glass and your post was the impetus for my own, my response was ultimately aimed more at other critics who've compared Ellena to Glass and who have decried his so called minimalist dogma, much harsher critics who seem to not understand Ellena at all. For many, the term minimalist is sadly lobbed as an insult.

Your views, as always, are illuminating and appreciated, and I apologize for not making my own post clear enough.

... my response was ultimately aimed more at other critics who've compared Ellena to Glass and who have decried his so called minimalist dogma, much harsher critics who seem to not understand Ellena at all.
    There are many other Minimalists in music. John Adams for instance. Is John Cage a minimalist? What about Georgy Ligety's concept of eternal music? Only with Glass I find repetition, that some might perceive as hypnotic.

JC Ellena is a professional. Less an artist but an engineer. Let's write some favorable reviews - in advance:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/247...orable-reviews

xxx
    Last edited by merry.waters; 1st March 2010 at 08:56 PM.