Code of Conduct

Default Spraying vs. Splashing

Does everyone get a different scent reaction to a fragrance that is sprayed on vs. dabbed on out of the bottle? I have had a few experiences now where I have purchased samples and liked what I got. Then bought a bottle or decant with spray, and it is totally different. Am I alone here?

Default Re: Spraying vs. Splashing

I feel like the fragrance has no projection and is cramped when dabbed, I much prefer spray. Its harder to understand the subtleties of a dabbed sample IMO.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

No, I experienced the same thing. It led me to some semi blind buys based on sample dabs because it took a few tries with spray vs. dabbing to realize I did/didn't like some fragrances. Expensive trials but that's what sell/swap is for. My bad buys equal good deals for other forums members, so in that respect it helps others enjoy our interest. Not a bad thing IMHO.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

I only like spraying. It seems I have to use more fluid when dabbing to get the same strength that comes from a spray. Something about the increased dispersal of the spray just works for me.

Anytime I get a splash bottle, I have to decant it into one with an atomizer.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Dependent

I've recently switched my method to "dabbed" and "rubbed in" (Thanks, Amit). I've noticed some differences in development and weirdly better longevity with some scents, though they tend to stay closer to skin. Hey, dabbing is Lutens's way of applying scents too right.

Sprays for me all the way.....Gary

Like most cats, I prefer to spray. Spraying gives you a wider area of coverage, resulting in more sillage as the evaporation/dispersion area is larger. Dabbing confines the smell to a small area, often resulting in a skin scent dispersion. Obviously the way to go with oil based fragrances is dabbing, as they would clog up an atomizer.
    The only time I dab is for a bedtime dosage of a perfum extrait.

I prefer spraying as I get a more even distribution. I find splashing a bit messy and hard to get a right amount.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

For me, Spray mechanisms are the ultimatum!

- Balava
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I find that spraying works best for me and produces more sillage than dabbing.

I don't notice any significant difference.

Some scents please me more when sprayed, and some need dabbing to be enjoyed

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather